Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Brenspeed, Steeda, or Bama for Wile E.?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 02:29 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMChrisRose
Give us a shout whenever you're ready. We have some great deals coming on 2011 products, and pre-orders hitting the shelves every week!

We currently have available C&L/Steeda cold air intake systems with tuning, exhaust, aluminum driveshafts, etc. These packages are picking up as much as 40-50RWHP and running in the 11's with the right tires/suspension! Give me a shout directly, or call and speak to Mike Wilson in Bama Custom Tuning (tell him I sent you over) and they'll give you all the information you need. And as always, you'll get free tunes for life!
Just like the OP, I too have an '11 GT and am looking for tunes.
But for me, I am not interested yet in any hardware upgrades.
I am interested right now only in tune to up the power in a completely stock Coyote.

I asked this in the Tuner section, but the responses were nothing short of horrible and absolutely lacking in any sort of information.
The tuner I have my eye on is the TSX, and yes, I want the wireless.

The TSX, aside from Bama tunes, can you upload tunes from other tuners? (Such as Steeda, Brenspeed, and others?)
In all the ads, on-line and in hard-copy print (mags), they all say the TSX is only good for up to '09 Stangs. Is this false and can it be used to install tunes for our Coyotes?
Does Bama have any tunes to get max performance on a stock 5.0 Coyote on 93octane?
Old 09-12-2010, 01:02 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Yes, you can always load tunes from multiple vendors into one device. There are three slots, and can always be in rotation.

The 2011 should have no compatibility issues with the TSX's latest firmware. You can confirm that by calling Bama tomorrow from 9-5:30ish. I want to be 100% sure. I've been swamped with car show stuff the last few weeks, so I want to make sure that did get handled.

Any of our tunes will get you the best available performance for your mods. In a stock situation, our Race tune is the largest gains possible by cleaning up factory "flaws", optimizing tables for 93 octane, etc.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:46 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Thanks Chris, for the quick reply, especially since you all sell the SCTs including the TSX.

When I get enough cash, I will be ording one in a heartbeat; I am hoping to dig up no less than $900 in less than a couple of months.

Also, If you have contact with the SCT guys, tell the other Chris (Chris Johnson of SCT) that I enjoyed his article in the October issue of MM&FF.
I just wish Chris from SCT went more into the tables that determine a good tune, such as fuel flow curves, MAF reading curves, O2 reading curves, TiVCT cam timing curves, etc.

Since that article deals specifically with the software controlling the 5.0 Coyote, I have no doubts that all the SCT hand helds will employ what Chris from SCT has discovered.
Now, after reading that article no less than for times already, I cannot wait to have enough money for the touch screen TSX.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:17 AM
Emkerz

This might be a bonehead question, but why would one buy one over the other of these two?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/steeda...gt-manual.html
http://www.americanmuscle.com/cnl-in...er-2011gt.html

The only difference I can see is the box around the filter is metal for the Steeda, and plastic for the C&L. Am I missing something?
Old 09-13-2010, 11:24 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Emkerz
This might be a bonehead question, but why would one buy one over the other of these two?

The only difference I can see is the box around the filter is metal for the Steeda, and plastic for the C&L. Am I missing something?
Thats probably about it. With the Steeda you are paying for the name IMO. I'd buy the cheaper of the two (C&L) as they appear to both retain the factory "noise tube".
Old 09-13-2010, 11:08 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Emkerz

CAI kits, the way I see it, are snake oil. You do not get actual gains from the CAI box at all, maybe like 5 BHP and you cannot even feel that power gain.

Whot you do get the gain from is from the TUNE. The tune and the handheld are what gives you the power gains you actually feel.

Bottom line: I say skip the CAI kit, save yourself a couple hundred $$$ and just buy a handheld tuner with tune. You will get just as much power from a tune w/o the CAI box.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:20 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

As you stack mods, thats just not entirely true man. You'll only give up 6-7 rwhp on a 2010 if thats ALL you do, is a CAI and tune. Start adding more bolt-ons and you'll be giving up potentially quite a bit of horsepower later. On the 5.0s, who knows, but I suspect its the same deal.

Last edited by Mudflap; 09-13-2010 at 11:23 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:24 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
As you stack mods, thats just not entirely true man. You'll only give up 6-7 rwhp on a 2010 if thats ALL you do, is a CAI and tune. Start adding more bolt-ons and you'll be giving up potentially quite a bit of horsepower later. On the 5.0s, who knows, but I suspect its the same deal.
This is correct.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:42 PM
jsnyng
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMChrisRose
This is correct.
Hey Chris, I ordered the CAI and tuner from you guys today. Thanks for your help on this thread. AMStanger even gave me one of those 90% off coupon codes. <evil grin>
Old 09-14-2010, 06:45 PM
VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

With the 5.0, the gains to be made from a simple intake are actually quite a bit higher than any of the S197 GT's to date. The factory intake on the '05-'09 is slightly restrictive, on the '10, this was fixed.

On the 5.0, the intake is very restrictive once again, and so there actually are decent gains to be made from just the intake itself (sans tune). Of course combining the two will only increase those returns!

Most companies are showing a respectable 5-8rwhp gain from intake pipe itself, while Fastlane with it's 4" tube (massive) is showing 12rwhp from the tube itself. Obviously the tunes will only intensify the gains made from these. Don't write off a good intake - it's definitely worth it.

Quick Reply: Brenspeed, Steeda, or Bama for Wile E.?