Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

How fast will the 5.0 go?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 08:33 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by DanielKSpencer
Yes, cause that makes all kinds of sense. You know, when you figure in physics and all. This just gets curiouser and curiouser. . . .
That was priceless.
Someone needs to sig this, lol.
I wonder if pulling a trailer would make my car faster
I'm curiouser as well...
Old 10-14-2010, 08:41 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
Not good I bet. Sure ain't no better than an '09.
It is supposed to be better..sleeker front end..lots of plastic covers under the car... but I'm sure it's still a brick.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:15 AM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
That was priceless.
Someone needs to sig this, lol.
I wonder if pulling a trailer would make my car faster
I'm curiouser as well...
Pulling a trailer changes the aerodynamics of your car.

A 412hp engine, given zero drag and air resistance, is more than capable of pulling a 3600lb car to 250+mph. Thus, this isn't really about physics, it's about aerodynamics.

Take a brick made of clay, and a brick made of balsa wood. Same size, shape. Accelerate both to 150mph. Then, remove the source of acceleration. Given that air resistance is the only force acting on the bricks (vice gravity, friction with ground, etc.), which do you think will slow down faster?

The balsa wood brick will, as it is of lower density. Density of an object is what determines its terminal velocity and its ability to act against air resistance. Air presents a known force acting against movement of an object, as defined by the density of the air, the frontal area of the object, and the object's coefficient of drag. As it is a force, like any other, it will have less effect on an object of greater opposing mass, given that the three constants I listed remain the same (air density, frontal area, .Cd).

Thus, it is entirely plausible that adding weight to a mustang without changing its external shape or area facing the wind will increase its terminal velocity through air at a given altitude. As he goes higher in altitude, said top speed will increase, to the point that the engine starts getting starved for oxygen.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:35 AM
MadisonGT

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
Thus, it is entirely plausible that adding weight to a mustang without changing its external shape or area facing the wind will increase its terminal velocity through air at a given altitude. As he goes higher in altitude, said top speed will increase, to the point that the engine starts getting starved for oxygen.
No. It simply does not work like that.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:24 AM
hand-filer

Originally Posted by MadisonGT
No. It simply does not work like that.
I'll second that.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:49 PM
carguygt
2nd Gear Member

I had to LMFAO!!! Who is the half wit that thinks ADDING weight to your car makes it faster??? Guess all those pro drag racers, pro GP racers, pro ANYTHIN racers have it all wrong lol... and why would you take your SON to near 170 MPH? You must not like him much...
Old 10-17-2010, 12:36 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

A 412hp engine, given zero drag and air resistance, is more than capable of pulling a 3600lb car to 250+mph. Thus, this isn't really about physics, it's about aerodynamics.

Take a brick made of clay, and a brick made of balsa wood. Same size, shape. Accelerate both to 150mph. Then, remove the source of acceleration. Given that air resistance is the only force acting on the bricks (vice gravity, friction with ground, etc.), which do you think will slow down faster?

The balsa wood brick will, as it is of lower density. Density of an object is what determines its terminal velocity and its ability to act against air resistance. Air presents a known force acting against movement of an object, as defined by the density of the air, the frontal area of the object, and the object's coefficient of drag. As it is a force, like any other, it will have less effect on an object of greater opposing mass, given that the three constants I listed remain the same (air density, frontal area, .Cd).

What you are saying about acceleration and deceleration due to aerodynamic fluid flow is correct.

However, when it comes to top speed (terminal speed due to air resistance in this case), the extra weight has no bearing at all, because to hit top speed, and maintain it, you will have to keep the source of acceleration, i.e. the engine, running and at WOT.

You are right that weight WILL have an effect on aerodynamic forces once the source of acceleration is removed. The heavier object will take longer to slow down than the lighter one.

But both the light object and the heavy object will hit the exact same top speed. The heavier one will just take longer to accelerate to that top speed.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:39 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by carguygt
I had to LMFAO!!! Who is the half wit that thinks ADDING weight to your car makes it faster??? Guess all those pro drag racers, pro GP racers, pro ANYTHIN racers have it all wrong lol... and why would you take your SON to near 170 MPH? You must not like him much...
Yeah, a heavier car with his son will not have a faster top speed, nor will it have a faster acceleration. The heavier car with his son will have the same top speed as if his son were not in the car.

Also, without his son, he will accelerate faster to that top speed than if he had his son with him.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:50 PM
DanielKSpencer
2nd Gear Member

Well, you got a lot of good terminology and analogies there that make you look smart, too bad when it comes down to what we're talking about you're wrong. Sounded good though.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:52 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DanielKSpencer
Well, you got a lot of good terminology and analogies there that make you look smart, too bad when it comes down to what we're talking about you're wrong. Sounded good though.
I had a big long response put together to tear him apart... But was in a good mood so I deleted it... haha

Quick Reply: How fast will the 5.0 go?