MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L V8 Technical Discussions (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-v8-technical-discussions-137/)
-   -   Dual disc clutch for the Coyote (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-v8-technical-discussions/621015-dual-disc-clutch-for-the-coyote.html)

JIM5.0 10-21-2010 05:37 PM

Dual disc clutch for the Coyote

I have heard of Spec making a clutch for the Coyote, and there are possible several others that do too.

But are there any guys who make dual disc clutches for the the Coyote?
I saw many dual disc clutches for S197, but they are for '05-'10, not the Coyote with its MT82.

ndedomin 10-31-2010 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by JIM5.0 (Post 7254628)
I have heard of Spec making a clutch for the Coyote, and there are possible several others that do too.

But are there any guys who make dual disc clutches for the the Coyote?
I saw many dual disc clutches for S197, but they are for '05-'10, not the Coyote with its MT82.

Here you go: Twin disc clutch by McLeod http://www.lethalperformance.com/201...78_10279_10280

As of right now I don't know of any similar options out there...but this one seems to be pretty good.

JIM5.0 10-31-2010 11:12 AM

Ah! Thanks for the link and find, I thought this topic was dead.
I was actually taking solace in that I will begin to save up for a TR6060 instead.

As it so turns out, the Getrag MT82 is not designed to take more than 375 ft-lbf at the crank. Strange that Ford would allow Getrag to design such a weakly rated tranny to put behind a 390 ft-lbf crank Coyote!

Imagine some mods, and you grenade this non-Tremec tranny. Ford should have just stuck with Tremec and never hired Getrag.

ndedomin 10-31-2010 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by JIM5.0 (Post 7268532)
I was actually taking solace in that I will begin to save up for a TR6060 instead.

As it so turns out, the Getrag MT82 is not designed to take more than 375 ft-lbf at the crank. Strange that Ford would allow Getrag to design such a weakly rated tranny to put behind a 390 ft-lbf crank Coyote!

Imagine some mods, and you grenade this non-Tremec tranny. Ford should have just stuck with Tremec and never hired Getrag.

No problem....I am thinking about upgrading the transmission too, and was considering this clutch. Although a Tremec option would be nice, too. Maybe it will be worth the wait. It is one of the most baffling things about this car that they went with the Getrag MT82. I am definitely of the opinion that the MT82 will become the weakest link in the car as people begin adding significant power.

My question is this....do you think a new clutch (like the ones I posted the link to earlier) would be enough to support added power, or do you think I should just wait for Tremec and replace the whole transmission?

ndedomin 10-31-2010 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by ndedomin (Post 7268620)
No problem....I am thinking about upgrading the transmission too, and was considering this clutch. Although a Tremec option would be nice, too. Maybe it will be worth the wait. It is one of the most baffling things about this car that they went with the Getrag MT82. I am definitely of the opinion that the MT82 will become the weakest link in the car as people begin adding significant power.

My question is this....do you think a new clutch (like the ones I posted the link to earlier) would be enough to support added power, or do you think I should just wait for Tremec and replace the whole transmission?

By I was thinking of getting "this clutch" I meant the McLeod one I showed you. What do you think....upgrade the clutch or wait for the Tremec 6-speed transmission?

JIM5.0 10-31-2010 12:41 PM

For this Mcleod, it had better take the abuse of the Coyote including whatever mods we thrown onto them. According to the link, the $1300 flywheel and dual disc clutch is rated for 1000 HP, which I assume it has to be at the crank BHP.

ndedomin 10-31-2010 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by JIM5.0 (Post 7268657)
For this Mcleod, it had better take the abuse of the Coyote including whatever mods we thrown onto them. According to the link, the $1300 flywheel and dual disc clutch is rated for 1000 HP, which I assume it has to be at the crank BHP.

Yeah, true. That should be more than enough for what I am planning for the car..and for what most people will do to these things. I would assume you're right that its Crank horsepower....which means its probably good for up to around 800 or so rwhp, right?

FWP! 11-01-2010 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by JIM5.0 (Post 7268532)

I wouldn't put much faith in info that you find online about this trans. Yes it's a MT-82, but it might be a version that has upgraded components for the 5.0. 390 ft-lb's is now being surpassed without much trouble after some mods, and people have been drag racing with a lot more torque and hp while wearing slicks and the transmissions have been fine. I'm not the least bit concerned with mine. Ford wouldn't put a trans in that couldn't put up with some abuse, even if supercharged.

MrSandman 11-01-2010 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by FWP! (Post 7269663)
I wouldn't put much faith in info that you find online about this trans. Yes it's a MT-82, but it might be a version that has upgraded components for the 5.0. 390 ft-lb's is now being surpassed without much trouble after some mods, and people have been drag racing with a lot more torque and hp while wearing slicks and the transmissions have been fine. I'm not the least bit concerned with mine. Ford wouldn't put a trans in that couldn't put up with some abuse, even if supercharged.

+1 I think a little bit of auto-hypochondria is spreading regarding the 5.0; everyone thinks this thing is going to fall apart.. when in fact, the vast majority of people are having no problems at all.. even with abuse.

john z 11-01-2010 11:49 AM

I'm running the McLeod in my manual 2011 5.0

Got it from BBR for a great price. Paid $1050 for it. Awesome price!