Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2012 Boss 302 Pricing

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 12:50 PM
5ohwhoa

Originally Posted by Spd2Stang;7271712[B
Ford has also gone on record saying that you won't be able to buy any of these Boss parts direct from Ford to upgrade an existing Mustang with.[/[/B]QUOTE]

im sorry but that makes no sense.
Why would ford offer a car with all these extras and a warrany, but not offer any of the parts avaliable on the boss to replace if something is broken.
No, it makes perfect sense - it protects the exclusivity of the car and ensures everyone and their brother with a regular GT isn't running around with a Boss clone.

It's not the first time Ford has done this - the Mystichrome paint on the '03-04 Cobras is a great example of this.

You misunderstand what was said. What he meant was that the parts won't be available to the general public for purchase. (That's probably just conjecture at this point.) There are lots of high end and exotic car manufacturers that don't want to cheapen their special edition cars, so they only offer parts for sale with a valid VIN from a car that actually came equipped with those parts. Boss 302 owners will be able to get replacement parts for their cars.
Yes, exactly, thanks. FWIW, I read this in MT.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:06 PM
simpsonfan13
ELEKTRO-FIDE Moderator

thats true but do yo really believe that no aftermarket company will want to exploit that fact? they'll simply say they're GT upgrade parts, sufficiently change them not to infringe on any patents and market them as being > than Boss parts. this has always been the case and will be so again. are you telling me that saleen wont be making suspension parts that exceed the Boss's performance? or Boss upgrade parts that will, after independent tests are done, exceed the laguna seca stockers?
you're paying for the name and VIN. then again that's why alot of people buy these cars. the Z28 will be the same way. but if youre going after the boss from a purely performance stand point then youre making a huge mistake.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:58 PM
5ohwhoa

Originally Posted by simpsonfan13
thats true but do yo really believe that no aftermarket company will want to exploit that fact? they'll simply say they're GT upgrade parts, sufficiently change them not to infringe on any patents and market them as being > than Boss parts. this has always been the case and will be so again. are you telling me that saleen wont be making suspension parts that exceed the Boss's performance? or Boss upgrade parts that will, after independent tests are done, exceed the laguna seca stockers?
you're paying for the name and VIN. then again that's why alot of people buy these cars. the Z28 will be the same way. but if youre going after the boss from a purely performance stand point then youre making a huge mistake.
Sure, the aftermarket is always going to be there. Otherwise, we'll have to agree to disagree. Assuming the Boss starts off in the high $30ks - you will not be able to build a similar car for less money.

Forged internals, cams, much improved suspension, four corner Brembos, wheels, etc. It's much more than a GT with a few suspension bits thrown at it.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:06 PM
simpsonfan13
ELEKTRO-FIDE Moderator

well honestly if the Boss ends up starting in the high 30's i may take a look at that. im looking to get a 2012 and as i like it a GT would end up there anyways. but at this point the only thing i like is the forged internals. if theres only a 29hp jump from cams then no thanks on that. wheels are subjective. suspension as has been discussed can be bought aftermarket. brembos- anyone have any idea what it would cost to equip a GT with after market pieces on all 4 corners?
is the tranny beefed up in the boss?
Old 11-04-2010, 05:15 PM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

Five to six thousand dollars, +/- a few hundred. Just for the brakes. Anyone still wanna try to put together one w/ aftermarket pieces?
Old 11-04-2010, 06:14 PM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Red-GT500
MSRP for a 2009 was $48,645, they boned you for $455 thats still a mark up... lol, im just messing with you, thats a nice price. The dealers here wanted 60K for a new shelby in that year.
Nope Msrp in Canadaland was 57,900.00 + tax lol

Last edited by Snakebite64; 11-04-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:58 PM
5 Dot 0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by simpsonfan13
well honestly if the Boss ends up starting in the high 30's i may take a look at that.
The purpose of this thread was to get an idea of what the Boss will sell for. Regardless if the sticker is below $40K it's doubtful you'll find one anywhere close to that. From what others have stated here and elsewhere there will likely be at least a $10-20K markup on the cars or more. Plus you won't be ordering what you want, you'll take what the dealer has and be happy.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:05 PM
5 Dot 0
2nd Gear Member

Here's an article about the pricing of the Boss 302 that includes some great photos. More speculation than fact but another data point.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:51 PM
5 Dot 0
2nd Gear Member

I'm stoked, I'm going to the Sacramento Auto Show tomorrow morning and there is going to be a Boss 302 there. I'll take a few photos and post tomorrow evening. I'll talk to the dealers that are present and see what they say about the pricing.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:54 PM
5 Dot 0
2nd Gear Member

Also I'll put money on it that Ford will do the 1969 style side stripes on the 2012 and the 1970 style stripes on the 2013.

Quick Reply: 2012 Boss 302 Pricing