Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2011 GT Flowmaster Exhaust question please comment!

Old 11-03-2010, 06:06 PM
cruzan

The people with the axlebacks, are you replacing the first set of resonators infront of the rear axle or just the mufflers in rear section? If i do an axleback system I think I will replace the section of tube between the h-pipe and the mufflers to get rid of the factory resonators.... also from the pictures i have seen it looks like there is a lot of unnecessary necking going on.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:13 PM
cruzan

Im mainly interseted in what people are doing with the factory resonators just infront of the axle. Obviously the axlebacks only replace the muffler section.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:52 AM
chain1
4th Gear Member

I only replaced the axle backs. I didn't touch anything in front of the axles. I put on the Borla Type-S mufflers and couldn't be happier. I had American Thunders on my 07. I realize they are different for the 2011 but I wasn't a fan of them.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:47 PM
cruzan

I wonder how much louder it would be if the midsection was replaced with straight tube.....
Old 11-07-2010, 12:58 PM
Rebel302
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cruzan
Did you have your local muffler shop weld in the 40 series or did you go with the axle back (I believe the american thunder by flowmaster are 40 serivies)? Do you still have the factory resonators or did you remove them? Do you have any audio clips of your exhaust system?
I had a local muffler shop weld them in. They are 40-series. I don't know where the factory resonators are but I can tell you they only replaced the mufflers. It's not a great video, but it's the best I've got.

Check it out:

http://s700.photobucket.com/albums/w...ndaydrive1.mp4
Old 11-09-2010, 03:51 PM
cruzan

Thanks for the video post..... I will prob just have a muffler shop run new pip from the H pipe back and have flowmasters installed. The shop told me $375 so what do I have to lose? rather take a risk and spend $375 because if it is what im looking for well......I saved my self about 600.00.

On the other hand if i dont like it ill prob kick myself in the a** haha oh well.

I had a local muffler shop weld them in. They are 40-series. I don't know where the factory resonators are but I can tell you they only replaced the mufflers. It's not a great video, but it's the best I've got.
The factory resonators are located just in front of the axle. They dont look like a traditional muffler but if you look you will see them. They just help quiet the exhaust down more so with them removed the car should get better performance and sound...... I would think.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:06 AM
Rebel302
1st Gear Member

If you like the classic Flowmaster sound, I think you'll be happy with it. I went this route b/c 1) I like the sound and 2)economics. I really liked the sound of the Borla s-types but just couldn't justify the extremely high cost. I got these installed for $330 and I'm more than happy.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:57 PM
Mikado463
2nd Gear Member

I too am leaning towards the flowmasters for my new ride as well, I like the 'blacked out' muffler section in that it will blend in better, besides the Magnaflow and Borla are really more than I want to spend and since the car will never see snow or salt and rarely rain for that matter I don't need the stainless exspense.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:03 AM
FWP!
2nd Gear Member

I have the Hushpowers and while it does drone, it's only from 1800-2100 rpm and it's not present otherwise throughout the whole reset of the rev range. And the drone is only maybe 20% louder than normal.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:18 PM
Mikado463
2nd Gear Member

I finished installing the flowmasters this afternoon, took less than one hour, couldn't have been easier. They sound puuuurfect, IMO, nice rumble with an acceptable 'bark' when you get on it. Looks wise, again, IMO, their the best.....4" stainless rolled tip with a complete blacked out body that blends in totaly with the black trim.

I'd post a pic or two but I'm still restricted !

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 GT Flowmaster Exhaust question please comment!