Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2011 5.0 Rough Manual Shift

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 09:55 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

The 'Stang is American, yes, built and assembled here, by Americans.
The problem is the Getrag MT82 is not an American tranny. It is German designed (nothing wrong with that, German engineering is very good), but the tranny is actually made in China. There are several problems here, mostly being oversight. Unless you are literally having someone look over the factory's shoulders all the time, you have no idea when they will cheat and let reject parts pass when they should have been taken off the line, or if the factory will try to screw over the people who contacted them (Ford and Getrag in this case) and substitute in cheaper materials but still charging them full price per unit. Also, in China, it is difficult to keep good and reliable Chinese manufacturing managers and engineers. There are always other factories who will steal them away by either paying them more, or because these managers and engineers want to work for a Chinese company (they are patriots) instead of working for a foreign company. And this type or patriotism the Chinese have is very sadly what we Americans have lost.
Replacing these chinese managers and engineers requires training a new person in exactly what Ford and Getrag needs, and even then, they still will need to be on the job some time before they are up to full speed.

Fortunately, Ford does offer an American tranny as an option for just under $1000 more, the automatic 6speed, 6R80 is made in America.
And to say that making the manual tranny in America would make the Mustang GT so much more expensive is an absolute LIE. The American 6R80 is only $1000 more than the Chinese MT82.
And making a manual tranny in American WILL NOT make the GT cost over $40,000 like so many have said.

As for the MT82 being fixed, I am not sure it will be just yet. I have heard and read rumors that some the MT82 problems can be fixed by using parts that the '12 Boss tranny uses. But would those parts be handed down also to the GT? If Ford is willing to remove the Boss exclusivity of those parts, yes they would. And I do hope that Ford does remove the Boss exclusivity restriction for those parts to address found problems.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:13 AM
jmatero
1st Gear Member

Can anyone explain why the same transmission in the F150 (A FREAKIN' PICKUP TRUCK) gets manual shift control and the Mustang doesn't?
Old 02-13-2011, 05:49 PM
MustangRSG
1st Gear Member

Live in Michigan, have a 5.0 with a 9/10 build date purchased in late January. Have about 1000 miles now. On a cold morning, the first 2-3 shifts in to 3rd gear grind very slightly. After that everything is fine. It's so slight that it's not a big deal. Just enough to make me look at this thread.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:36 AM
reckles1

Default ! ! ! 2011 Mustang shift issue - Fixed ! ! !

I recently have experienced numerous shifting issues on my 2011 5.0

The 1st Issue
My Clutch Stayed Pined To The Floor – After launching my car from a dead stop in 1st gear, I was not able to shift into 2nd until my RPM’s came down.

- Solution -
As it turns out the transmission is designed with some kinda’ “Shift Override” feature preventing the vehicle from shifting into 2nd when it’s at high RPM’s with no load.

Ford came out with a TSB – Replacing the Clutch / Break Peddle Assy. & Master Cylinder. Although, I really don’t think this addressed the issue because all this really does is make the clutch peddle come back up but the feature will still prevent you from going into 2nd. Seems to me Ford could have saved allot of money by doing a computer update.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The 2nd Issue
It increasingly became harder to shift into gear & clutch started engaging closer to the floor. It almost seemed as if my clutch was not fully engaging and had to knuckle into gear. Over time the issues progressively got worse. At first I noticed it when shifting into 2nd then when shifting into 1st & 2nd, then I noticed it when shifting into 5th & 6th as well. I also noticed that on cold starts it started to grind going into Reverse & 1st gear.

- Solution -

Finally after taking my car in several times concerning this issue without any resolve, the issue finally became bad enough for the technician to experience what I had been telling them. When the dealer contacted ford and advised them of the issue, Ford told the dealer to replace the tension plate bolts. However I insisted on being there when the dropped the transmission so I could take a look at what was going on. As it turned out… what had happened was all five tension plate bolts were loose. That caused the guide pins to shear off, and as a direct result they had to replace the tension plate, throughout barring, clutch, and flywheel.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The 3rd Issue

Why is Ford not putting a TSB or Recall out on this? I am not the first guy with a 2011 mustang to experience this issue. They obviously know there is an issue with the bolts backing out because the replacement bolts they sent were the exactly the same except for the replacement washers were flat instead of lock-washers.

I hear that the reason why the tension plate bolt is backing out is because ford had a bad torque wrench on the assembly line. I can not say for sure if this info is true or not, but after what I have seen it makes sense.

When I got the 2011, I understood that there were going to be a few hiccups that may need to be worked out, but to say that I’m disappointed with the way they are handling them would be an understatement!

? ? ? Solution ? ? ?

! ! ! Ford Needs To Pony Up ! ! !
Old 03-18-2011, 12:52 PM
Meester_Vapor
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by reckles1
When I got the 2011, I understood that there were going to be a few hiccups that may need to be worked out, but to say that I’m disappointed with the way they are handling them would be an understatement!

? ? ? Solution ? ? ?

! ! ! Ford Needs To Pony Up ! ! !
They did seem to be very receptive at the beginning of winter, but they haven't come up with anything. Dealerships have been instructed to do nothing. I can't even get them to change out the trans fluid to make sure the wrong one wasn't put in at the factory...

This shifting issue is a lemon law issue. 3 times, take it in and get it documented. No fix, no offer to fix....they're required to buy the car back at full purchase price.

Beginning to remind me of my Jeep Patriot. Thing had so many issues....and Chrysler just let them go because they didn't get enough complaints. Never fixed, and they stopped being interested in talking about it when the warranty expired.

Ford does need to step up....or they're gonna be cutting checks for lemons.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:36 PM
Mikado463
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Meester_Vapor
This shifting issue is a lemon law issue. 3 times, take it in and get it documented. No fix, no offer to fix....they're required to buy the car back at full purchase price.
Whoa there....not as easy as you think.......first off a 'rough first to second' shift is NOT going to qualify for lemon law protestion, if you have an actual failure of the transmission that is not fixed under the lemon law guidelines that's another issue, but good luck getting it covered under the heading of rough shifting !
Old 03-22-2011, 03:03 AM
Meester_Vapor
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mikado463
Whoa there....not as easy as you think.......first off a 'rough first to second' shift is NOT going to qualify for lemon law protestion, if you have an actual failure of the transmission that is not fixed under the lemon law guidelines that's another issue, but good luck getting it covered under the heading of rough shifting !
Spoken to an attorney before while owning the Jeep. If the defect impacts your enjoyment of the product, that's enough. Doesn't matter how big it is. Attorney cited a previous client who had a car bought back from the manufacturer because the door squeaked. That may be California specific, but I don't think so.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:36 AM
jmatero
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mikado463
It most certainly does... If it's a safety concern. Twice now trying to merge into traffic... With a limited window... I was unable to get the car into 1st or 2nd.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:44 PM
Meester_Vapor
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jmatero
It most certainly does... If it's a safety concern. Twice now trying to merge into traffic... With a limited window... I was unable to get the car into 1st or 2nd.
Did a little more reading today, and if it's considered a safety issue....the manufacturer has until the odometer reads 15,000 miles to fix it. Max. I'll hit that next week.

I'd love to prod everyone at this point that has this problem to contact your dealership...'specially if you've contacted them already.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:21 PM
jmatero
1st Gear Member

Hello fellow 2011 Mustang Manual Transmission Owners

When I purchased my car in September last year, I was unaware of how extremely passionate Mustang owners were about their rides. As so many of us are having clutch and transmission issues (to varying degrees) I've tried to keep us all in the loop with regard to Ford's effort to find solutions. The volume of emails, PM's, and posts to various websites has now become so overwhelming that it is impossible for me to answer each individually. The most robust and informative conversation going on right now is at allfordmustangs.com. It should be noted that Deysha, a Ford Customer Care Representative, monitors and posts updates there regularly and is intimately familiar with the problems we're all experiencing. I encourage you to remain active in the Mustang forum(s) of your choice, but with regard to this particular issue, I strongly advise you follow the sticky thread at allfordmustangs.com: http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ml#post2318076

I thought I'd quickly summarize the symptoms, current fixes available, what we know so far, and how best to ensure your car is fixed

SYMPTOMS:
1. Clutch pedal sticks to the floor when fully depressed (Generally, cars built before May 2010)
2. Clutch engagement no longer progressive... more "on/off"... with very little pedal travel causing bucking/jerky launches.
3. Difficult to shift in temperatures below 35 degrees F.
4. Grinding when shifting (1-2 and 2-3 reported most) until car is fully warmed up.
5. Grinding when shifting (1-2 and 2-3 reported most) all the time.
6. Inability to engage gears with clutch pedal fully depressed (non related to skip-shift)

CORRESPONDING SOLUTIONS:
1. Ford will install an updated pedal assembly that solves the problem.
2. No fix for 2011, but it should be noted that 2012 Mustangs have revised clutch assemblies.
3. Ford will change your transmission fluid. (Many owners report success, some report gear whine)
4. Ford may change your transmission fluid. (Some owners report success, some report gear whine)
5. Ford may change your transmission fluid. (Few owners report success, some report gear whine)
6. Ford may replace your clutch assembly and install updated pressure plate bolts.

WHAT WE KNOW:
As most of you already know, if your problems continue after having these applied, there is no other fix as of 03/23/2011.

WHAT SHOULD I DO?
1. Call Customer Care, report your problems, get a case number, ask that they arrange for your dealer to evaluate the car, and be sure to ask for free rental.
2. When you drop the car off, be sure a REPAIR ORDER is filled out and that the symptoms are documented to the tee. Drive the car with a service advisor.
3. If you feel your issues are severe enough that they constitute a safety risk, MAKE SURE THAT IS VISIBLE ON THE REPAIR ORDER.
4. Be prepared for "UNABLE TO REPRODUCE" on the invoice.
5. If your car is not repaired, contact your Customer Care Rep and insist your vehicle be examined by a FSE (engineer). Insist you would like to be present when he/she comes to evaluate your car. Also insist that your Service Manager accompany you. You should all drive both your car and another new one on the lot for comparison.
6. Make it crystal clear to the engineer, the customer care rep, and both your service and sales managers that YOU ARE UNHAPPY WITH YOUR MUSTANG. If you believe your problems pose a safety risk, also make that clear to all parties.
7. Keep all of your Repair Orders and Invoices.

WHAT IF THAT DOESN'T WORK?
1. If your problems are minor, you could simply wait to see if Ford comes up with other fixes. Enjoy your Mustang!!!
2. My personal Customer Care Rep told me Ford is working on a revised clutch assembly for 2011's that should solve the shifting/clutch engagement issues. It should be noted that no other source has been able to confirm this.
3. If you believe your problems pose a safety risk, do not hesitate to report the issue to the NHTSA here: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
4. If you are unable to resolve your issues with the Dealer and Customer Care, contact Ford Customer Relations in Michigan. You can request a buy-back or vehicle replacement. Be prepared to receive a letter in 5 days denying your request stating that it does not qualify under your state's lemon law. THIS IS A FORM LETTER AND DO NOT ASSUME THIS IS ACCURATE. Your Customer Care Rep will call and should provide detailed information as to why your car is not being replaced. Be sure to post here if the reason given is "There is a fix coming". If you are told there is a fix coming, demand details.

I hope this is helpful

John

Quick Reply: 2011 5.0 Rough Manual Shift