Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2011 5.0 Rough Manual Shift

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 08:31 AM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like horrible news man, hopefully everything will get resolved asap.

Although I was a skeptic at first I am really surprised that the NTHSA or wahtever it is didn't find anything under their investigation. After seeing and hearing all of the problems that people are having.

It sounds like it was almost dumb luck that out of all of the cars they tested they got the ones that didn't have any problems.

Unless of course they were testing all later model 12's which haven't really had any problems compared to the earlier 11's.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:09 PM
MightyMike16

Default Manual Trans

Figured I's add my 2 cents here. 2011, GT Prem, 3:73, 6M. I have the 1-2 cold shift issue. After that it seems smooth. My build date is 12/10
Old 12-30-2011, 10:54 AM
Schutzhund
1st Gear Member

During the last month my mustang has had the trans pulled four times... replaced 3 syncros including reverse a new transmission housing new bearing. Totaling 2800.00 for parts and labor...All covered under warranty

Shes good to go. Whine is gone. Clunk in left turns while shifting gone. Smooth Shifts have arrived.

However its letting off a smell...but hey at least i got my baby back.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:29 PM
donutsdemise
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Schutzhund
During the last month my mustang has had the trans pulled four times... replaced 3 syncros including reverse a new transmission housing new bearing. Totaling 2800.00 for parts and labor...All covered under warranty

Shes good to go. Whine is gone. Clunk in left turns while shifting gone. Smooth Shifts have arrived.

However its letting off a smell...but hey at least i got my baby back.
The smell might be oil or whatever on the new housing getting hot or the mechanics got greasy fingerprints on your exhaust.

I hope the 10/11 production GT I have my eye on at the dealer doesn't have this problem. From what I have read here, it should have the updated box with coated (?) gears.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:04 AM
Minion
2nd Gear Member

Finally, I just read all 18 pages of this thread!
My car has less than 2K miles on it and I'm having a lot of these issues. In the morning (when its cold) I get a slight grind into 2nd...it actually does that when warm too. I also can hear a rattle when I push in the clutch before it fully warms up. I get it on my way to work and and before it warms up on my way home. I then noticed Schutzhund said something about a clunk when shifting and doing a left hand turn. I have NO idea how that works. But I remember when I took the car for a test drive I heard some clicking/clunking while driving slow taking a left hand turn in a parking lot (can't remember if I was shifting at the time or not) the car hasn't done it since so I forgot about it. I might try to repeat it and see if it still does it.

I plan to go to the dealer soon and mention these problems. I will keep you posted on what I come up with. I'm not so much worried about the issues now....I would hate to have a major issue with the tranny down the road when my warranty runs out. ...and with my luck it will have an issue right as the warranty expires.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:00 AM
Napoleon85
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Minion
Finally, I just read all 18 pages of this thread!
My car has less than 2K miles on it and I'm having a lot of these issues. In the morning (when its cold) I get a slight grind into 2nd...it actually does that when warm too. I also can hear a rattle when I push in the clutch before it fully warms up. I get it on my way to work and and before it warms up on my way home. I then noticed Schutzhund said something about a clunk when shifting and doing a left hand turn. I have NO idea how that works. But I remember when I took the car for a test drive I heard some clicking/clunking while driving slow taking a left hand turn in a parking lot (can't remember if I was shifting at the time or not) the car hasn't done it since so I forgot about it. I might try to repeat it and see if it still does it.

I plan to go to the dealer soon and mention these problems. I will keep you posted on what I come up with. I'm not so much worried about the issues now....I would hate to have a major issue with the tranny down the road when my warranty runs out. ...and with my luck it will have an issue right as the warranty expires.
I commend you on actually reading all 18 pages of this thread ... that takes a fair amount of patience.

If your car is under warranty, I suggest you take it to the dealer. I wouldn't expect much, especially if your car is a 2011 built in August or later or a 2012 (you already have the TSB fluid). The clunk could also be your control arms, so I would mention it (a TSB out for that as well) and have them inspected.

The unfortunate truth is that you're mostly on your own to resolve the transmission issues, but there are plenty of resources out there to help you along the way. Ford and the NHTSA have officially determined that the issues with the MT82 are mostly due to the driver and not the car, despite the fact that there are multiple TSBs regarding it.

The best thing that you can do is replace your mt fluid with something better such as AMSOIL MTG or Redline MTL. Many people have had good success with both these products (I have links but they are on another form so PM me if you want them).
Old 02-23-2012, 08:31 AM
Minion
2nd Gear Member

Thanks, PM sent.

I also let the car warm up for a few minutes the other day...I don't get that 'rattle' like I used to (if it warms up) but I still get a rough shift into 2nd every time. All other gears seem fine.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:12 PM
Schutzhund
1st Gear Member

Minion, I find that if i don't shift from 1st to 2nd in a slow left hand turn it never clunks. If I don't let her warm up in the morning its still a little rough but overall the repairs from ford did the trick. Don't fret to much either I went to the dealer when 2nd 3rd 5th and reverse would not engage. Dang syncro's. Good luck to ya.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:31 PM
Element155
1st Gear Member

Liberty gears can fix these issues. my mt-82 was built by them after i detonated forth gear. From what i can remember the improvements that were made (but not limited too) are, bronze shift fork pads, new cluster and main shaft, pretty much all new guts, cryo, heat draw, surface enhancement, new syncros, all hand finished and blue printed, and more i cant remember. Any way car shifts awesome and im running it with stock shifter now, soon to be mgw, box works great. If you want to make the most of your trans use liberty gear.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:26 AM
Minion
2nd Gear Member

thanks guys.....Ill try not to stress. My factory warranty is only 36K miles and I worry that the tranny will finally give out after that and I'm stuck with fixing it myself.

I also think I want to do a suspercharger down the road. I know I need to beef up the transmission to pull that off. Ill have to research more to find out what needs to be done to make sure it will hold up.

The way I see it, my tranny is going to need some work, sooner or later.

Quick Reply: 2011 5.0 Rough Manual Shift