Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2011 5.0 Rough Manual Shift

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 09:51 AM
TMSBOSS

Originally Posted by Element155
Liberty gears can fix these issues. my mt-82 was built by them after i detonated forth gear. From what i can remember the improvements that were made (but not limited too) are, bronze shift fork pads, new cluster and main shaft, pretty much all new guts, cryo, heat draw, surface enhancement, new syncros, all hand finished and blue printed, and more i cant remember. Any way car shifts awesome and im running it with stock shifter now, soon to be mgw, box works great. If you want to make the most of your trans use liberty gear.
Element155

Curious how much it cost to "Blueprint" the MT82 trans. I like the gear ratios and want to keep my Boss stock as possible.

Thanks
Old 03-12-2012, 11:59 AM
Minion
2nd Gear Member

Well, here is my update. I took my car into the Ford dealer to have the sound checked out. Of course when I went for a test drive it wasn't making the noise. I did record the sound from before but they still wanted to hear in in person (fair enough) so, they kept the car overnight and heard the same rattling sound when it was cold the next day. To my surprise they said the sound was coming from the 5th cylinder and they had a programing fix for it. Since that day the weather has been warmer AND the sound is all but gone away. Seems like my transmission is completely "normal" there is a bit of a clunk going into second from time to time....but I was told that is normal.

So, if you have the MT-82 and you hear a rattle for the first couple miles when its cold have your car checked out. It could be that adjustment on the 5th cylinder. I thought for sure the sound was coming from the clutch because it would stop when I pushed the clutch in.....but I guess it will only make the sound under load.

Hope that helps...
Old 03-13-2012, 05:20 AM
mph07alloy
3rd Gear Member

I do have that noise on cold days, problem is this has been the mildest winter in years here and it seems to only happen when its really cold.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:20 AM
donutsdemise
1st Gear Member

I'm new to modern engine management and find this interesting. Does that mean they can adjust via programming the fueling and timing on individual cylinders?

Originally Posted by Minion
Well, here is my update. I took my car into the Ford dealer to have the sound checked out. Of course when I went for a test drive it wasn't making the noise. I did record the sound from before but they still wanted to hear in in person (fair enough) so, they kept the car overnight and heard the same rattling sound when it was cold the next day. To my surprise they said the sound was coming from the 5th cylinder and they had a programing fix for it. Since that day the weather has been warmer AND the sound is all but gone away. Seems like my transmission is completely "normal" there is a bit of a clunk going into second from time to time....but I was told that is normal.

So, if you have the MT-82 and you hear a rattle for the first couple miles when its cold have your car checked out. It could be that adjustment on the 5th cylinder. I thought for sure the sound was coming from the clutch because it would stop when I pushed the clutch in.....but I guess it will only make the sound under load.

Hope that helps...
Old 03-14-2012, 08:27 AM
Minion
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by donutsdemise
I'm new to modern engine management and find this interesting. Does that mean they can adjust via programming the fueling and timing on individual cylinders?
I thought it sounded a little odd too........I wish I got the exact breakdown of what they did. it was written down but I left the info at the dealer. As far as I know its a known problem. And it has to deal with the 5th cylinder and the issue is on cold starts when the car has about 3-4500 miles on it. really specific.....that they were able to fix it for the most part.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:03 PM
MarkWhite

Angry 2012 Mustang GT/CS Grinding Going into 5th

Greetings,

My 2012 Mustang GT/CS just started grinding when going into 5th gear. It doesn't do it all of the time, mainly under moderate to heavy acceleration. The car has just over 7k miles on it. I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow. I hope I'm not in for a long journey.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:45 PM
Napoleon85
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MarkWhite
Greetings,

My 2012 Mustang GT/CS just started grinding when going into 5th gear. It doesn't do it all of the time, mainly under moderate to heavy acceleration. The car has just over 7k miles on it. I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow. I hope I'm not in for a long journey.
Good luck ... let us know how it goes.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:20 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MightyMike16
Figured I's add my 2 cents here. 2011, GT Prem, 3:73, 6M. I have the 1-2 cold shift issue. After that it seems smooth. My build date is 12/10
Same here with same build date.. only downfall, just bought it yesterday lol
Old 04-04-2012, 07:03 AM
Burns331
2nd Gear Member

Funny, I havent had a single shifting issue with my car. Always shifts firm and never grinds or gets notchy.

Auto....FTW

Lol, J/K.....
Old 04-06-2012, 09:53 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Burns331
Funny, I havent had a single shifting issue with my car. Always shifts firm and never grinds or gets notchy.

Auto....FTW

Lol, J/K.....
^ lol ^ good one!

Quick Reply: 2011 5.0 Rough Manual Shift