Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2011 5.0 Rough Manual Shift

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 02:16 PM
seal9

Default zmax

I put 4oz of zmax in mine and drove around for 20 to 30 mins now its not a problem.seal9
Old 11-23-2010, 08:19 PM
hand-filer

Interesting! Let us know in a week or 2 from now if it's still working. I'm a little sceptical.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:03 AM
dominant1
3rd Gear Member

When i replaced my stock shifter in my 2010 gt with an MGW all that rough shifting went away...

Last edited by dominant1; 10-28-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:54 AM
agrant1

i have problems going into third gear at wot do anyone have the same problem
Old 11-27-2010, 08:09 AM
agrant1

how do the skip shift works and whats the purpose
Old 11-27-2010, 11:10 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by agrant1
how do the skip shift works and whats the purpose
Skip S*** is a lame-*** attempt to increase CAFE of a car company. It is rather useless since most people either buy a resistor or whatever to trick the skip S*** mechanism to think it is activated.

The way skip S*** works is it is a solenoid driven mechanism that is in the 2mnd & 3rd gear rings or mounted on the shifting forks. I think the solenoid activates electro-magnets that give a pronounced forced feed back so you feel the resistance as you try to throw the stick into 2nd or 3rd.
This is only my guess on what the skip S*** mechanism is. I have no idea what the mechanism actually is.

For me, it does not do me worth a damn in fuel economy. Jumping into 4th gear at 20MPH only makes my engine just about nearly knock from being forced to run under such a hard load at such low RPMs.

I believe I overcame my skip S*** feature by using the car's learning feature. When I felt hard resistance from skip S*** attempting to lock me out of 2nd and 3rd when the message board flashed it, I just forced the stick hard into 2nd and 3rd. Eventually, the car computer learned not to give the forced resistance and now it lets me go into 2nd and 3rd even if the skip shift message lights up. I not just ignore the message.

Even without skip S***, our Coyotes do not fall into gas guzzler tax. So Ford's reasoning that skip S*** is required to keep it out of gas guzzler is a false reasoning.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:57 PM
jmatero
1st Gear Member

Ok folks. I'm in San Jose CA (not exactly the coldest place on earth). I'm on my second flywheel and clutch (car has 1500 on the clock). Light grinding and notchiness when the fluid is cold... That's one thing. When it's warmed up? This tranny should shift easily in all gears. Mine did when new... It's why I bought the car. I'd advise you to head over to the allfordmustangs forum where ford reps are asking people with this and clutch issues to PM them directly. I did on Wednesday. 2 hours later, a Ford Rep called me directly and admitted this is NOT NORMAL and scheduled an appointment at my dealer AND arranged for a loaner car until it has been resolved. It goes in 8am Monday. The issue is clearly with the sychros... Which can be damaged if the clutch isn't fully disengaging... Which can happen if you have either a bad clutch slave (sound familiar?) or pressure plate bolts that are not fully seated (sound familiar?).

Read this... If you're having the shifting issues or clutch issues, I'd advise you to contact the Ford rep at this forum and bring it in:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ng-thread.html

The more of us who report the issue, the better!

Last edited by jmatero; 11-29-2010 at 12:25 AM.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:14 AM
Meester_Vapor
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the info jmatero. You don't happen to have an email address handy for the people familiar with the problem do you? I'll register over there if I gots to, but I gots too many passwords already.

Took mine in this weekend, and they couldn't replicate the problem. Car got warmed up on the drive over I spose.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:10 PM
jmatero
1st Gear Member

Don't have an email, but if you register there, you can send a personal message to Deysha... her account name is FordCustSrvc. She'll PM you back and you'll receive a call directly from a Ford Customer Service rep who will schedule an appt, record the issue, and arrange for a loaner car for this issue.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:10 PM
thezfunk

I Pm'ed her last night and today received a call. Unfortunately, my car will be unavailable for them to look at till spring. She noted all this with my VIN in their system so when I do take it in the service guys will see it. The lady I talked to said she would personally authorize a loaner for me if the dealership gave me any grief about that.

Quick Reply: 2011 5.0 Rough Manual Shift