Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2011 5.0 Rough Manual Shift

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 09:41 PM
Imastang

So I have posted this in a different thread but I will tell you I have had all the same systems on a new mustang 5.0 ford is on the second transmission new clutch and they have deteremined that the boltsnthey usednon the pressure plate were notnthe correct ones they are stretching over time this is causing then sticking between shifts difficulty getting it into reverse and the rattle between 3rd and 4th
Old 12-21-2010, 09:45 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Get on your dealership and stick to them like glue on this. This is a failure that will keep you from driving your car, which is completely within your drivetrain warranty.

At least Ford will now have no less than two documented cases of the very same problem. I just hope that Ford gets onto Getrag for sure now and MAKES them inspect every damn piece coming out of China.

Or better yet, fire those damn Chinese guys who dared to pass bad major components onto Ford. If it is found that they purposefully neglected proper manufacturing and quality controls just to save a money yet charge full price to Ford and Getrag, they deserve to be fired.

Put Americans to work, not more slave wage Chinese! I bought a Mustang because it is made in America, I want to support Americans and keep Americans working, not contribute to jobs going to China!

Last edited by JIM5.0; 12-21-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:09 AM
jmatero
1st Gear Member

To be fair...

If the the pressure plate bolts backed out the first time, this would prevent the clutch from fully disengaging, which could damage the synchros. These are not currently replaceable parts so the transmission is replaced whole.

If the wrong bolts were installed and THEY backed out... same deal... new tranny.

In other words, the transmission could be fine... the clutch could be fine.... but an assembly problem (the pressure plate bolts) trashed BOTH. That's not the fault of the Chinese, sorry. It's somebody being over zealous with the wrong locktight goop on the assembly line.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:13 AM
Meester_Vapor
2nd Gear Member

Do any of you that have this shifting problem now.....remember having it when you first picked up the car? I don't...so it's something developing over time.

Got nearly 10K miles on mine now, mostly highway. 30's in the morning...and it's a hard shift into second with teeth bouncing off the stick, from 1500-4000RPM. Don't think that's the skip shift.

Have there been any results from the Ford tech that was contacting everyone?
Old 12-22-2010, 05:57 AM
Schutzhund
1st Gear Member

Drove it to base this morning. 37 degree with 32 degree wind chill. Flawless. Not saying this is the fix cause its the day after but the results from changing out the factory fluid to the syncromesh is night and day. highly recomend changing out that factory crap. Shifts were easy and i had a smile on my face all the way to base. hope this helps a few of you.

Last edited by Schutzhund; 12-22-2010 at 05:59 AM.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:56 PM
nemosgt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Meester_Vapor
Do any of you that have this shifting problem now.....remember having it when you first picked up the car? I don't...so it's something developing over time.

Got nearly 10K miles on mine now, mostly highway. 30's in the morning...and it's a hard shift into second with teeth bouncing off the stick, from 1500-4000RPM. Don't think that's the skip shift.

Have there been any results from the Ford tech that was contacting everyone?
Maybe with the cold temperatures, you might have some notchiness until the trans fluid is warmed up. Is it okay after a few miles? If not consider changing fluid as did Schutzhund and let us know.

Cheers.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:54 PM
Schutzhund
1st Gear Member

Now the ultimate test. I'm driving across the country tomorrow. Ill post my results when i can.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:07 AM
jmatero
1st Gear Member

I met with the service manager at Frontier Ford in Santa Clara, CA and the Ford Tech for the Bay Area joined us. They were great.. we all drove my car... and drove a new one on the lot (6/10 build). The difference in clutches was amazing. The new car's clutch picked up right off the floor.. with a smooth, progressive engagement. It had NONE of the jarring my car has when shifting at low speeds. The new car had been on the lot all night and the first thing the tech mentioned was the crunching going into 2nd on that car too. It diminished as soon as we warmed it up though.

He also checked my engine mounts just to confirm the motor was secure.. which it was. In the end, he felt the best course of action was to replace the flywheel, clutch assembly, and entire transmission... which they ordered. The technician acknowledged that Ford believes shift effort is too hard/rough when the car is cold and engineering is investigating solutions. Their focus is on the fluid and synchronizers, but there is no word on when/if an update is coming down the pike.

Upon leaving the dealership, I thought about it and I think I'm going to contact Ford again and ask if they would please replace the clutch master cylinder, clutch slave, and pilot bearing while they have it all apart. That way EVERYTHING related to the clutch and EVERYTHING between the motor and drive shaft is factory new. This will be my 3rd flywheel and clutch assembly and I'd hate to put an old slave into an all-new transmission and clutch mix.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:13 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Great to hear you have been taken care of, properly this time!

Interesting that they are looking inside the tranny when they discovered for sure your problems emerged from the pressure plate bolts. Maybe whatever could be going wrong inside the gearbox might have been a significant contribution of your bolt problems.

When they do get back and tell you exactly what they find inside your tranny, please do let us know.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:16 PM
Imastang

So what brand of Synchromesh fluid are you using - there is Roal Purple and Amsoil
In the Roal Purple it is either Max Gear or Synchromax and in Amsoil it is either Sunchromesh Manual Transmission fluid or Manual Transmission & Transaxle Gear Lube 75W-90 Both state for muscle cars you should use (Royal Purple Max Gear) or (Amsoil Gear Lube) I am still waiting on parts to see if this gets fixed - for those that are seeing these same issues you need to get your car in and get it reported so ford gets enough of these to issue a recall and get the manufacturer to give us a whole new setup.

Quick Reply: 2011 5.0 Rough Manual Shift