Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2011 5.0 Rough Manual Shift

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 07:50 PM
Schutzhund
1st Gear Member

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-12345349/ that stuff there. Went from tx to tenn and tomarrow to NC and so far its like a new transmission. Temps outside in the low to mid 30's.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:59 AM
Imastang

Thanks I am going to go with the amsoil if I can get it and if not then the royal purple. My dad use to be a rep for royal purple I use the oil in my cars and you can not beat it. Best stuff out there. I have seen some of the viscosity tests and I will tell you it outperforms all of em.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:53 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

AMSOIL & RP are the better ones from what I have read in the Oil & Lube forum. If the AMSOIL & RP tranny lubes are a cut above the rest just like how their engine oils are, I too would get those two instead.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:59 PM
2011CS/GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by agrant1
i have problems going into third gear at wot do anyone have the same problem
2nd to 3rd at WOT is where I have had issues as well. Everything else is fine. It is notchy when cold, but gets better as others have stated. Funny thing is sometimes it will go right into 3rd and other times it will not. I have not had time to take it in, but plan to in the near future. Not a huge issue, but I still want it fixed.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:19 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

2nd to 3rd at WOT for me is usually from the centering spring not overcoming my hand strength and thus I try to throw it into the position between 1st and 3rd, which of course does not exist, and I think I am getting locked out.
I am guessing that this is what you guys are getting too.

But for normal driving, I do sometimes get a rough shift from 2nd to third, and throwing the stick into the wrong position has nothing to do with it.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:05 AM
Mustang Bruce

Default 2011 GT with 3K miles and transmission 2-Problem seems worse now!

I live in Missouri and have had issues with my manual transmission since I picked it up. By 2000 miles the transmission developed a large leak where the transmission halves go together. Shifting into reverse is VERY hard and requires much force on cold mornings. 1st to 2nd gear also requires much force when cold and sometimes I miss 3rd gear if driving hard. I have had many new Mustang GT's and never had issues like this. The dealer I bought it from fixed the leak and sent me on my way stating "I didn't know what a performance manual transmission shifted like." Funny, I had a new 2009 GT500 and it shifted flawlessly...

I took it to another dealer that noticed the problem and took it apart to find "much wear on reverse gear set and first and second gear set and some wear on synchros." No parts available, so new transmission installed. I picked it up on a Friday evening after service closed. I could barely get it into Reverse. Now it is hard to shift into ALL GEARS on cold mornings!

That dealer could not get me back in, so I am on dealer #3.

HERE'S THE BAD NEWS!!! THE SERVICE MANAGER PRINTED THIS OUT FOR ME AND STATED THAT HE MAY NOT BE ABLE TO DO ANYTHING FOR ME!!!!!!!
FORD COVERING THEMSELVES WITH A TECH BULLETIN!

2116 2011 MUSTANG-MT82 COLD SHIFT EFFORT
SOME 2011 MUSTANG VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A MT82 6-SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION MAY EXHIBIT INCREASED SHIFT EFFORTS IN COLD AMBIENT TEMPERATURES. THIS IS USUALLY NOTICEABLE IN 1ST AND 2ND GEARS BUT MAY ALSO BE NOTICED IN 3RD THROUGH 6TH GEARS. ENGINEERING IS INVESTIGATING THIS CONCERN AND NO REPAIRS ARE RECOMMENDED AT THIS TIME. THE USE OF FRICTION MODIFIERS OR OTHER FLUID ADDITIVES IS NOT RECOMMENDED SINCE ALTHOUGH THEY MAY PROVIDE SOME IMMEDIATE IMPROVEMENT IN COLD SHIFT EFFORT, THEY ARE LIKELY TO RESULT IN LONG TERM DEGRADATION OF SYNCHRONIZERS.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 12/20/2010

I'll know what they intend to do Monday morning. Wish me luck.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:23 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang Bruce
I live in Missouri and have had issues with my manual transmission since I picked it up. By 2000 miles the transmission developed a large leak where the transmission halves go together. Shifting into reverse is VERY hard and requires much force on cold mornings. 1st to 2nd gear also requires much force when cold and sometimes I miss 3rd gear if driving hard. I have had many new Mustang GT's and never had issues like this. The dealer I bought it from fixed the leak and sent me on my way stating "I didn't know what a performance manual transmission shifted like." Funny, I had a new 2009 GT500 and it shifted flawlessly...

I took it to another dealer that noticed the problem and took it apart to find "much wear on reverse gear set and first and second gear set and some wear on synchros." No parts available, so new transmission installed. I picked it up on a Friday evening after service closed. I could barely get it into Reverse. Now it is hard to shift into ALL GEARS on cold mornings!

That dealer could not get me back in, so I am on dealer #3.

HERE'S THE BAD NEWS!!! THE SERVICE MANAGER PRINTED THIS OUT FOR ME AND STATED THAT HE MAY NOT BE ABLE TO DO ANYTHING FOR ME!!!!!!!
FORD COVERING THEMSELVES WITH A TECH BULLETIN!

SOME 2011 MUSTANG VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A MT82 6-SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION MAY EXHIBIT INCREASED SHIFT EFFORTS IN COLD AMBIENT TEMPERATURES. THIS IS USUALLY NOTICEABLE IN 1ST AND 2ND GEARS BUT MAY ALSO BE NOTICED IN 3RD THROUGH 6TH GEARS. ENGINEERING IS INVESTIGATING THIS CONCERN AND NO REPAIRS ARE RECOMMENDED AT THIS TIME. THE USE OF FRICTION MODIFIERS OR OTHER FLUID ADDITIVES IS NOT RECOMMENDED SINCE ALTHOUGH THEY MAY PROVIDE SOME IMMEDIATE IMPROVEMENT IN COLD SHIFT EFFORT, THEY ARE LIKELY TO RESULT IN LONG TERM DEGRADATION OF SYNCHRONIZERS.

That's not necessarily bad news.. since it seems they recognize that there is an issue.. and are looking into a long-term solution. I'm going to baby mine until they come out with a fix.

Rowing through the gears while the car is warming up in my garage helps some.. and then I wait about 2 seconds after pressing down on the clutch before I shift gears. I continue to row through the gears at the first few stop lights.. and by the time I get on the highway.. it's not as bad. Shifting from 1st to 3rd also helps.

This would be really annoying in the summer.. but skipping second right now, and sometimes starting in second.. has been necessary anyway due to traction issues in this cold weather
Old 12-26-2010, 02:05 PM
Meester_Vapor
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang Bruce

I have some additions to the list if items you're going to speak with them about. I had a 2007 Jeep Patriot that was an absolute hunk of garbage. Hood flapped all over the place at highway speeds, transmission was garbage, suspension parts seemed to bend after highway drives....and God help you if you took it off road even on fire access roads.

Not going to go through what I went through with the Jeep. It was "wait, we're going to figure it out". Pretty soon, a couple years had gone by, and they were no longer interested in fixing it.

The problem, and their response is Lemon Law material. It affects the way we drive the vehicles, and impacts negatively on the vehicle. No fix provided, that's Lemon Law cut and dry.

Tell Ford that if they don't fix it, you'll take your refund in $100 bills...lets see what they say to that.

I'll turn the bastard in, and go get me another car....other than the trans issue, I absolutely love the car, so I'd hate to do it....but I'm not satisfied with "wait until we figure it out". Been there, done that, and still have the stretch marks around my butthole to prove it.

As a matter of fact, I think they owe me a new tranny anyway....after the past few months of shoving it into 2nd and 3rd....having the teeth grind on me.

Last edited by Meester_Vapor; 12-26-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:45 PM
Schutzhund
1st Gear Member

I hate we are all having these problems. Since ive changed the fluid to the syncromesh the thing is like new. I just drove it 1300 miles in below freezing temps and in the snow and ice NC just got. Still like new. Maby i changed my fluid before it was damaged. Im sure the fluid has something to do with it as well as The Made in China sticker. They will fix it. Hopefully its before they have to rebuild all our transmissions. Good luck to us all.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:52 AM
Imastang

Everyone needs to get their car into then shop to report this issue,it is thenonly way thatnford will see how bad of an issue this is. As io have postedni have been fighting this since day 1 I bought the car and so far my first month payment is made 5 free oil changes they have determined that I need a new clutch and they have determined that the bolts used on the pressure plate are speced wrong they stretch over time and are replacing them with new ones. I have also wrote a letter to ford and they have escalated the issue Get your cars in so we can get more attention to this

Quick Reply: 2011 5.0 Rough Manual Shift