Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Questions about the power band and shifting

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 03:02 AM
AZAlloy
3rd Gear Member

Default Questions about the power band and shifting

Hey guys. So I have been noting some feelings with the car and wanted to get some answers from you guys who have modded the 5.0.

I have a 6-speed with factory 3.73 gears and axle backs. No other mods. I feel like I shouldn't let the car climb any higher in RPMs than about 6k, because the car doesn't seem to have the high end horsepower. I also feel if I let it go higher, it just doesn't pull as hard as it does when I shift earlier. Why is this? Is it because of the 3.73s? I've never had such a steep gear before and it took some getting used to with shifting a lot earlier.

I remember when I put a tune and cold air on my 07 GT, it really opened up the top end of the car. Is that the same with the 5.0? I would think a naturally high-revving motor would have more top end power. So what am I missing here? Does the Boss 302 manifold fix this issue?

Also. For those that do have 3.73s, when do you shift when at the track drag racing? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:04 AM
Black Fire
1st Gear Member

I just did a couple WOT runs last night against my Buddy in his cammed WS6.
I was shifting around 6800 rpm and the car felt fine. I can feel that the torque curve flattens out quite a bit above 4500 rpm and this is also seen on my Dyno sheet from a few weeks ago. The power does nose over a little around 66-6700 rpm too.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:03 AM
dominant1
3rd Gear Member

An intake and tune improves low end mid range and high end power. My car just pulls and pulls, but i also have 3.31's....
Old 07-15-2012, 01:26 PM
2013sTang

Your probably just feeling torque loss. After around 5500 torque does start to drop off and horsepower comes into play. On average these cars make 360whp at 6500 rpm stock(my car did 379) so if you shift at 6000 your probably at 330rwhp. Your leaving horsepower on the table and when you shift higher you tend to fall back in a better power spot to rev out.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:28 PM
AZAlloy
3rd Gear Member

Well, sounds like I may just need to get tuned then. Thanks guys.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:36 PM
Schutzhund
1st Gear Member

I'm shifting around 7100-7300. When I first bought it i felt uncomfortable doing that now after the tunes no biggie. Seen guys with boss intake shifting at 7500-7700

Old 07-21-2012, 06:42 PM
Senderofan

[QUOTE=AZAlloy;7996160]

I remember when I put a tune and cold air on my 07 GT, it really opened up the top end of the car. Is that the same with the 5.0? I would think a naturally high-revving motor would have more top end power. So what am I missing here? Does the Boss 302 manifold fix this issue?

My Boss has a redline of 7500 rpm...max power is @ 7400 rpm. There are more differences between the Boss motor and the GT than the intake. The heads are CNC ported, different valve springs and cams to mention a few...along with the deletion of the oil squirters and swapping in a forged rotating assembly and sodium filled valves.

Here's a more complete list:

Powertrain
Boss 302R Intake
Forged Pistons
Upgraded Con-Rods
Race-Spec Main and Rod Bearings
Larger Sodium Filled Exhaust Valves
Hi-Lift Exhaust Cams
7500 RPM Limit
CNC’d Heads
Oil Cooler
Larger Radiator
Revised Radiator Plumbing
Revised Oil Pan Baffling

In addition to this list:
The Heads are different castings than the GT heads, made of a higher strength alloy, CNC'd and reinforced in key areas to address the higher valve spring pressures associated with 7500 RPM redline.
High RPM alternator kit with reduced RPM pulleys
Heavy duty spring seat

So.....As you can see...It's more than just bolting on a Boss intake and calling it a RoadRunner versus the Coyote.

Wayne
Old 07-23-2012, 02:57 PM
AZAlloy
3rd Gear Member

[QUOTE=Senderofan;8002134]
Originally Posted by AZAlloy

My Boss has a redline of 7500 rpm...max power is @ 7400 rpm. There are more differences between the Boss motor and the GT than the intake. The heads are CNC ported, different valve springs and cams to mention a few...along with the deletion of the oil squirters and swapping in a forged rotating assembly and sodium filled valves.

Here's a more complete list:

Powertrain
Boss 302R Intake
Forged Pistons
Upgraded Con-Rods
Race-Spec Main and Rod Bearings
Larger Sodium Filled Exhaust Valves
Hi-Lift Exhaust Cams
7500 RPM Limit
CNC’d Heads
Oil Cooler
Larger Radiator
Revised Radiator Plumbing
Revised Oil Pan Baffling

In addition to this list:
The Heads are different castings than the GT heads, made of a higher strength alloy, CNC'd and reinforced in key areas to address the higher valve spring pressures associated with 7500 RPM redline.
High RPM alternator kit with reduced RPM pulleys
Heavy duty spring seat

So.....As you can see...It's more than just bolting on a Boss intake and calling it a RoadRunner versus the Coyote.

Wayne
Thanks. I wasn't trying to water-down the Boss and am familiar with the differences. My question was in reference to adding the Boss manifold to the GT's 302, and by doing so, would it correct the issue I am feeling. I was not asking if adding the Boss manifold to the GT's 302 would give me the equivelant of the Boss 302 motor. If that was the case, everyone who bought a Boss would have been ripped off. Alas, Ford did the Boss right, and made a great track car.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:56 PM
Senderofan

[QUOTE=AZAlloy;8003481]
Originally Posted by Senderofan

Thanks. I wasn't trying to water-down the Boss and am familiar with the differences. My question was in reference to adding the Boss manifold to the GT's 302, and by doing so, would it correct the issue I am feeling. I was not asking if adding the Boss manifold to the GT's 302 would give me the equivelant of the Boss 302 motor. If that was the case, everyone who bought a Boss would have been ripped off. Alas, Ford did the Boss right, and made a great track car.
Sorry...misunderstood the full intent of your question. I know the Boss manifold helps add more air on the top end...for the GT 302. I would think a really good tune and CAI along with the manifold would probably make some meaningful changes for you. I can tell you this 302 ( in my Boss) pulls very hard to 7500 rpm. With some tweaking you should be pulling just as hard past 6K, IMHO.

I think Ford did the 302 right....not just the Boss. Who knows what they'll release next....using the 302 as the foundation. This is a really sweet high tech V8.

Good Luck....Hope you find solutions that are fairly easy and not too painful on the wallet.

Wayne
Old 07-23-2012, 10:33 PM
AZAlloy
3rd Gear Member

[QUOTE=Senderofan;8003520]
Originally Posted by AZAlloy

Good Luck....Hope you find solutions that are fairly easy and not too painful on the wallet.

Wayne
I hear that.

Quick Reply: Questions about the power band and shifting