Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2011 GT, 6spd is making squeaking noises in the rear driver side wheel.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 05:29 PM
sekiface

Angry 2011 GT, 6spd is making squeaking noises in the rear driver side wheel.

A noob here. Bought it about a month ago, with 6speed and 3.73 differential. I'm still breaking it in, but the car has developed a squeaking sound in the rear driver side wheel when I slow down, and also when I'm just driving, especially when turning right. Has anyone else had this issue? I'm going to bring it in next week to the dealer and demand some a solution!
Old 11-05-2010, 05:06 AM
captcarb

Check the lug nuts.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:11 PM
sekiface

So I took it to the dealer, and it turns out it wasn't the lug nuts. The rear axle had a bend which wasn't supposed to be there obviously, and it was causing it to rub against the brakes, thus leading to the squeaking sound. So the axle shaft had to be replaced. I demanded a good explanation as to how something such as this can happen despite the car being driven very carefully for a mere 900 miles. The dealer can only say that it's a factory defect. Nice one Ford. I think this may be the last Ford I ever buy...
Old 11-13-2010, 12:43 PM
VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

So, you had a non-life threatening problem with your car, took it to the dealer, who then replaced the problem part with out a problem or complaint?

I can totally see why you wouldn't want to buy Ford again. Man, screw that good customer service stuff, I want a dealer who spits in my face!
Old 11-13-2010, 11:56 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sekiface
So I took it to the dealer, and it turns out it wasn't the lug nuts. The rear axle had a bend which wasn't supposed to be there obviously, and it was causing it to rub against the brakes, thus leading to the squeaking sound. So the axle shaft had to be replaced. I demanded a good explanation as to how something such as this can happen despite the car being driven very carefully for a mere 900 miles. The dealer can only say that it's a factory defect. Nice one Ford. I think this may be the last Ford I ever buy...
Hey, at least Ford is standing by the product and even fixing the factory defect. The shaft being bent was very minor, I have seen a GMC and Chevy pick-up trucks with such a problem except they didn't just squeak, they squealed like a pig!

Also, I went to a Kia dealer this past summer with my GF to get her a new car. We test drove a brand new Forte with only 199 miles on the ODO, and not even a couple of blocks down the road from the dealer, the car spontaneously shut off! It was an automatic so the saying that we let off the clutch too fast is not an excuse.
The salesman was in the car with us, and he said we knocked the shifter out of gear. Two problems with that: I looked down and the car was still clearly in drive. Also, if you knock it out of gear into neutral, the engine does not shut off.
The engine shutting off was a clear defect. Made in Korea and poor craftsmanship just so Kia can save money in manufacturing at the expense of reliability.

If my GF would have gotten that car and it spontaneously shut off, I would much rather have the problem of a slightly bent axle that the dealer was going to fix for free anyway.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:14 AM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by VistaBlue
So, you had a non-life threatening problem with your car, took it to the dealer, who then replaced the problem part with out a problem or complaint?

I can totally see why you wouldn't want to buy Ford again. Man, screw that good customer service stuff, I want a dealer who spits in my face!
I agree....

Dude you're overreacting. All cars usually come out of the factory imperfect no matter what brand, what price, etc. It's just something you have to live with, the fact that the dealer cooperated so well really says something about the company though...I think that's what you should be concentrating on.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:40 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by VistaBlue

I agree here too. And the fact that Ford is standing behind the product to fix a factory defect is incentive enough for me to buy from them again.

There are millions of cars and hundreds of thousands of them come form the factory with defects, no matter what the make or model of the car. Even Chevy and Dodge have some Camaros and Challengers that come form the factory with bent axles, or worse, totally lemon engines. It does not matter if you buy Toyota, Beamer, Audi, or any American, you WILL see all of these cars with factory defects every once in a while, that is life.

Now going with a brand that stands behind the product and will fix the defect, that is the one you should buy from. And Ford does that. There was a guy who had a lemon of a V6 in his ride and Ford fixed his car by taking out the entire engine and dropping in a totally brand new one. Ford then took the engine back to be torn down and completely analyzed to find the cause of the problem to see if they can redesign the failure area to improve the engine.

That to me shows that Ford is not just a spot-fix company, but they are forward thinking about improving an existing product to improve cars for the future of everyone.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:46 PM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

sounds to me like a typical restaurant customer who gets the wrong item, gets it fixed and taken off the bill, and still emails the corporate office about how crappy the service was.

im sure other manufacturers would pawn it off on you and you would have to spot the bill but ford was good enough to admit they messed up and fixed it for you.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:21 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Well, I would have to say I would be guilty of being such a guy too. When it comes to my car, a ride I spend over $30K on and committed to no less than 5 years to pay off, I am specifically and extremely picky and sensitive to any weird sounds, performance, or other squeaks, creeks, creeps, tweaks, etc.

I just cannot stand gremlins, but other than my tranny being a clunky bastard and shifting a little difficult from 2nd to 3rd and having to ride the clutch like crazy to get a smooth shift from stop to moving and also from 1st to 2nd, I have no other complaints about my car. It has been problem free so far (though, I am watching the clutch like a hawk to make sure I do not have clutch problems like the TSB on it shows).
Old 12-02-2010, 12:44 AM
CJStang50
1st Gear Member

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAH COMING FROM A BMW .... THAT WOULD BE THE LEAST OF MY CONCERNS .... Dude, I've had the pleasure of owning a sh*tload of cars, from all over the world. Believe me, they took good care of you!