Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Tach Face Turning Red at Redline?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 02:43 PM
5.0_Coyote_GT
1st Gear Member

Default Tach Face Turning Red at Redline?

I thought I saw a YouTube video that showed someone taking a video from inside a 2011 5.0 Mustang and when he was shifting the manual transmission, the tach face turned red in color at redline. Is this something that the new Mustangs have or could it of been a reflection from a racing tach mounted elsewhere in the car? I have tried to find the video but can not locate it now. Any of you know about this and is it only on the manual transmission cars if in fact it is something that I noticed correctly?
Thanks in advance for your replies,
Phil
Old 11-21-2010, 03:12 PM
hand-filer

That's the she's getting ready to throw a rod indicator light.
Actually it's a shift indicator light. An accessory that most 1/4 mile racers use to base their shift points on for consistant 1/4 mile times.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:29 PM
Torch Red GT
3rd Gear Member

That a feature the 10-11s have as long as you have the white gauges that change color it should do that
Old 11-21-2010, 03:44 PM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

It's not really a shift indicator light per se; it's a redline indicator light that warns you you're heading into redline. Which, IIRC, is 6800. So yes, it happens to work quite well as a shift light, but that's not its intended purpose.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:45 PM
5.0_Coyote_GT
1st Gear Member

Thanks everyone. Next question, is this feature on the automatic transmission equipped cars as well???
Thanks again,,
Phil
Old 11-21-2010, 06:14 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

Should be!
Old 11-21-2010, 07:41 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

It is on the 2010's and 2011's. But note that it is not a good shift light because by the time it lights, you better be grabbing the next gear or you will be clipping the limiter. There is only a milisecond (seems like) of time between the light and the rev clip when you are in lower gears, esp 1st.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:18 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FastDEW
It is on the 2010's and 2011's. But note that it is not a good shift light because by the time it lights, you better be grabbing the next gear or you will be clipping the limiter. There is only a milisecond (seems like) of time between the light and the rev clip when you are in lower gears, esp 1st.
+1

Additionally, when you are already in the 6000 RPM and above bandwidth, you are already leaving the meat of the torque curve. That is assuming a bone stock Coyote with stock tune.

However, if you have mods that add power and extend the meat of your torque curve into above 6000RPM, that is the time it would actually be beneficial to stay in the gear just a tad longer. But you had better rebuilt the lower end with better conrods, pistons, piston rings, journal bearings, etc, the 7000RPM (or really, 6800RPM) was actually installed by Ford to prevent placing high RPM stresses on the innards.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:13 PM
sugarprobe

I think you are safe at redline from what I have read. Ford did numerous tests at the track and apparently held it at 7000 rpm all day long. Like literally did a 24hr stint of lap after lap at 7000. I know I wouldn't do it but....
Old 11-21-2010, 10:27 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Yeah, Ford does do stress tests to failure. And I am sure that they did so with the Coyote, since the engine was made in-house.

Since the mainstream production Coyote is outsourced to Exeter Canada, I hope they sample the Canadian engines and stress test those to failure to make sure that the Canadian guys are not cheating the specs.

That is a major problem with outsourcing to another country. The sub-contractors in more than one case cheat and build things to sub-specs and try to pass it to the the hiring entity as an in-spec product.
Look at all the crap that is a outsourced to China: from toys to tires we put on our cars, the Chinese sub-contractors often cheated in the past and put lead in the toy paint when Hasbro, Mattel or whatever requires a different paint.
And Chinese made tires? They were a few years back tested and the poor materials used by the Chinese makers failed minimum USDOT safety standards. And as such, they are not allowed to be sold in the US. These Chinse makers had the nerve to complain to the Chinese Communist Government which in turn had the nerve to accuse the US of trade protectionism.

Quick Reply: Tach Face Turning Red at Redline?