Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

About to hit a thousand miles: couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 10:17 PM
Teggsan

Default About to hit a thousand miles: couple of questions

About to hit 1K on my 'stang. Couple of questions:

- what is the right mileage for the first oil change? I've seen "don't change too early" and "don't wait too late" but not clear on when I should change this

- what oil should I use? Sure there'll be many opinions. I'm planning to stick to full synthetic. Use Amsoil in my diesel truck and will likely use it in the stang unless someone has a good reason not to

- should I wait until the engine is better broken in before installing a CAI/tune? Or no problem to do it now?
Old 12-03-2010, 06:39 AM
VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

It's never too early to change your oil. What you might have heard, and misconstrued, is don't change to synthetic too early. The majority of the break in should be done on regular dino oil. 1000 miles is plenty to go get the change done, and will remove all of the little metal shavings that are possibly in your oil from break in.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:10 AM
67fire
2nd Gear Member

I always do the first one before 500 mies has past but now is fine.

Eric
Old 12-03-2010, 08:17 AM
1200bruce
1st Gear Member

I'm doing my first at 100 and then 1500, then every 5000 with Mobil-1!
Old 12-03-2010, 10:14 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1200bruce
then every 5000 with Mobil-1!
What a waste of $$$$. I mean I know it's your dime, but there is no reason to change full synthetic every 5k miles. If you want peace of mind, just change the filter every 5k and the oil every 10-15.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:05 AM
Joe in Dublin
2nd Gear Member

One thing i noticed was that the ford replacement filter is a f500 it is small than one that comes from the facory and the return holes are smaller in size. I am now using the ford racing filter, its bigger and the return holes are much larger... Better flow
Old 12-04-2010, 08:53 AM
67fire
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
What a waste of $$$$. I mean I know it's your dime, but there is no reason to change full synthetic every 5k miles. If you want peace of mind, just change the filter every 5k and the oil every 10-15.
Very true!
What I do, is replace the filter every 1-2,000 miles and top off with more synthetic.
Then, by the time about 20-25,000 miles has passed, replace all of it.
I have been doing it this way for more than 35 years and have NEVER had an oil related problem with any of my engines.

Several have made it over 300,000 miles.

Eric
Old 12-04-2010, 10:11 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Teggsan
About to hit 1K on my 'stang. Couple of questions:

- what is the right mileage for the first oil change? I've seen "don't change too early" and "don't wait too late" but not clear on when I should change this

- what oil should I use? Sure there'll be many opinions. I'm planning to stick to full synthetic. Use Amsoil in my diesel truck and will likely use it in the stang unless someone has a good reason not to

- should I wait until the engine is better broken in before installing a CAI/tune? Or no problem to do it now?
At 1K miles, now would be a good time to do the first oil change. Some will say it is too early, because the engines they say are made such that a break-in is not as important as it was before.
I disagree, every engine produces tiny metal shards, most microscopic, and doing a 1st oil change from anywhere between 1000 to maybe 3000 miles will remove those shards that are caught in the filter and suspended in the oil.

Go with full synth, GroupIV is possible. You can easily go 7.5K miles to as much as 12K or 15K miles depending on the oil and your driving conditions.

For CAI or any other engine performance mod, I say wait just a bit more, maybe to 2K miles? That way, you engine is not just broken in, but FULLY broken in.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:26 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

There is no right answer to your question but there ARE a million differing opinions.

What oil did your car come with from the factory? The 05-10's came with synthetic blend; good for up to 7500 miles. IMO, if you're doing a lot of stop n' go or racing on a blend, then 5,000 miles is appropriate. I run my synthetics no less than 8,000 miles (such as in my tow vehicles) and often a bit beyond 10,000 miles. Considering I have over 1,250,000 miles (miles that I have put on my own vehicles) of oil change experience ranging from dino to full syns, my oil change frequencies are MY comfort zone.

Again, IMO, if you feel the need to change your oil early, I wouldn't do it earlier than 2000-3000 miles. Todays engines don't suffer from the old manufacturing problems where "trash" is left in the block. Full synthetic is great if you want to extend your oil change frequency. Otherwise, a blend at a 5,000 mile frequency will provide you just as much protection as a full syn at 10,000 or more mile.

Just be sure to include a good filter.

You could put a CAI & custom tune on at 0.1 miles. Not one bit an issue.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:55 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

The Coyotes are all coming with the synth-dino blend from the factory.
When you sign up and register your vehicle with Ford, it has a maintenance schedule in it. This schedule recommends the synth blend be changed at every 10K miles.
The tech manager at my dealership recommends 5K interval for synth blend and 7.5K interval for full synth. These are Motocraft oils, which of course are not true synth.

Due to differing opinions, I more or less formulated my own, which I admit is still new, but similarly, is what feels comfortable for me.

Quick Reply: About to hit a thousand miles: couple of questions