Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

5.0 Coyote Cylinder Walls

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 07:19 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Last edited by BruceH; 01-02-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:40 AM
traxiii

Originally Posted by daredevil95
traxiii, good info...thanks. I confused the 5.4 with 5.0.....thanx
No Worries, and it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't start using the spray on liner sometime in the future, maybe when they go with Direct Injection?
Old 12-14-2010, 11:20 AM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

The spray liners to me are scary vs. a cast iron liner......I don't think the spray liner will have the durability of a sleeve. I feel it would be a Ford production process aimed at reducing cost. It's easier/less expensive to spray a liner onto the cylinder wall than to manufacture process a forge / cast a molten iron cylinder sleeve......I would have no problem paying extra for the sleeve. Either way I hope it's made in the USA.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:07 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

The spray liners to me are scary vs. a cast iron liner......I don't think the spray liner will have the durability of a sleeve. I feel it would be a Ford production process aimed at reducing cost. It's easier/less expensive to spray a liner onto the cylinder wall than to manufacture process a forge / cast a molten iron cylinder sleeve......I would have no problem paying extra for the sleeve. Either way I hope it's made in the USA.
Damn straight! That is why I bought the Mustang, it is made in America (well, except for the damn chinese Getrag MT82). I made sure I looked at the VIN to make sure it began with a "1" (1 = made in America) and not in Mexico (fortunately, no Mustangs are made in Mexico).

As for pressed in sleeves vs sprayed on liners, pressed in sleeves any day!
What is up with this spray on S***? What else can they spray on? Clothes?
Boy howdy, there are some damn hot chicks I would love to see with nothing on but sprayed on clothing!
Old 12-14-2010, 06:23 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Still not gonna go with the auto.......
Old 12-16-2010, 07:32 AM
FWP!
2nd Gear Member

It's a revolutionary process that is most likely the future of aluminum blocks, period. The Nissan GTR also uses the same process.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:53 AM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FWP!
It's a revolutionary process that is most likely the future of aluminum blocks, period. The Nissan GTR also uses the same process.
It's been around for decades.......let's hope not.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:46 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

It's not sprayed on like paint, it's molded on. Ford isn't stupid (although they have done stupid things) They would not apply this process to a GT-500 when they know it's very popular and easy to pull 800-900HP out of these motors without touching the internals just a simple blower swap
Old 12-16-2010, 05:54 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SpartaPerformance
It's not sprayed on like paint, it's molded on. Ford isn't stupid (although they have done stupid things) They would not apply this process to a GT-500 when they know it's very popular and easy to pull 800-900HP out of these motors without touching the internals just a simple blower swap
Read on page 1....it's flame sprayed......long lasting durability is a concern.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:36 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I wonder if it is possible to heat treat the surface of the cylinder walls? Probably this with a combination of the plasma arc cylinder treatment might add some durability. The heat treatment I think could actually treat a few mm below the surface of the cylinder walls, which would be the foundation for the plasma arc treatment.

I know in WW2, US battleships had their armor plates surface heat treated so that the outside of the armor belt plate was the hardest and the side of the pate that faced the inside of the ship was a little softer to prevent metal shattering and spraying the inside of the ship with steal fragments from an explosive or concussive hit.

Totally different application for cars, the process used for old battleships.
But I wonder if for the grade of alum alloy Ford uses or the block if it can be surface heat treated to be as had as possible and then coated with the plasma treatment to help seal the heat treatment and to help give the block better reliability?

I could be wrong in my thinking in that the plasma process could negate and ruin any alum heat treatment processes.

Quick Reply: 5.0 Coyote Cylinder Walls