Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Vibration after 1 Pc DS Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 11:20 PM
ALLKHEINZ

Default Vibration after 1 Pc DS Install

Recently installed a 1 pc Aluminum driveshaft and it vibrated so bad that the change in my cup holder would jingle,the rear view mirror wouldnt give me a clear view,I had shimmy in the seats and steering wheel.....you wouldnt notice anything up to about 35mph but then it would start and get progressively worse as youd pick up speed....anyway wound up sending the DS back and replaced with a 2nd but this one had different less bulky ends and bolted up to the oem flange rather then the first one that came with a new flange...anyway this one is way better then the first but it still vibrates starting at 60mph but it gets noticeable enough to want to take it off at about 75-80mph......after removing the 2nd one and reinstalling the oem shaft i now have a small vibration that didnt exist previously to either of the first 2 1pc driveshafts that went in....its not really bad by any means and could prolly live with it but the car is brand new and feel like i shouldnt have to live with anything....so anyway wondering what could have been screwed up slightly by the vibrating shafts that would now cause the oem shaft to vibrate slightly...
Old 12-23-2010, 01:49 PM
JT1652
1st Gear Member

What brand of drive shaft did you have?
Old 12-23-2010, 09:07 PM
hand-filer

A bit of debris between the pinion flange and yoke could cause you grief.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:22 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

JT asked a very good question. The brand of DS you bought could very well be the culprit. Many alum DS makers are not as precise as others, and you risk vibrations. To get a good single piece one that is balanced and vibration free, you unfortunately have to spend a little more.

If you cannot spend more, you should dismount the one you have and get a refund, or at the very least, keep on exchanging it until they send you one that is balanced and vibration free. That is the downside of cheap; the constant exchanging until you get a good one. The only downside of the more expensive ones is you only pay a little more and you are much more likely to get a good one form the very first.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:17 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

I have a coast d/s and it does vibrate beginning around 75-80 but it's not that bad.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:51 PM
ALLKHEINZ

Default DSS

Mine is from Drive Shaft Shop, guy ive been talking with over their is named Fred, hes a really standup guy a i gota admit, he sent me 2 vibrating driveshafts, took both back and now im just awaiting my refund but im going through the original vendors for that refund....kinda not really willing to try another driveshaft but was offered a pretty descent proposition by shaftmasters in MI....being im from Toronto the owner said if id be willing to take the time to drive the 5.5hrs to pick one up pay him in cash he would send me a mile up the road to have it installed then i can road test it myself and if it vibrated to remove it right away and he would refund the cash i gave him...only thing is im looking at $100 for the shop up the road to re and re the shaft and then about $100-150 in fuel for the drive their and back...if the shaft vibrates then im out 250 and atleast a full day.....not sure what to do.