Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2011 Mustang 5.0 Intake Rating

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 08:21 AM
NealAtTheWheel5.0

I actually got in a rather heated discussion the other day with someone stating that a CAI on these 5.0's does absolutely nothing for the car performance wise... and that all the power is gained from the tune alone.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:11 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

What that guy said is only true according to what you feel while driving.
Here is where he is wrong:
A CAI kit actually DOES increase power some. But the gains are way too small to feel at the steering wheel. You need a dyno to see the increase. And even then, you will see that in some cases, in some parts of the RPM bandwidth, you might not get any increases at all, but at other parts of the RPM bandwidth, you see the small increases.

Now, if you put a tune with it, you will definitely feel the power increase. Put that on a dyno, and you can possible see as much as 25 more HP gained (but as always, do not expect to see 25 HP increase throughout the entire RPM bandwidth, you might get only 5 more here, 20 there, and the highest gain at a specific RPM gives you that 25 more).
Old 02-05-2011, 03:03 AM
mtflyboy25
3rd Gear Member

Need I say more?

Okay I will....

So my opinion.... Do I notice a difference? Well it is far louder, the engine sounds like a race car now and I can hear the air sucking in really loud through the new intake. The car also is smoother throughout the entire RPM Range which is so awesome. Overall it is amazing and if it werent snowing out I wouldnt even be back yet to type this...
Old 02-13-2011, 10:42 PM
Big_T_Judge
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by zachcrosen
I called and talked to Chris Rose @ American Muscle yesterday and placed an order for an Airaid CAI from him as well as 4.10s and the Flowmaster Hushpower axle backs. Chris told me that as far as RWHP is concerned, all of the major CAIs were comparable in gains but the Airaid had a peak RWTQ of about 11 higher than the competition. He also told me that Steeda was not one of the better performing CAIs. Chris also said the Airaid CAI was of superior fitment and build quality plus it is $10 less than the JLT or about 40 less than the Steeda.
Have to love the forums....tons of good info. I have a few more weeks before my 2012 GT 5.0 arrives and have been doing a lot of research on the upgrades I plan on making and I was really leaning toward the Steeda CAI, but I think you've got me leaning toward the Airaid now. Thanks
Old 02-14-2011, 08:44 AM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Big_T_Judge
Have to love the forums....tons of good info. I have a few more weeks before my 2012 GT 5.0 arrives and have been doing a lot of research on the upgrades I plan on making and I was really leaning toward the Steeda CAI, but I think you've got me leaning toward the Airaid now. Thanks
Speaking of forums and tons of good info... I would check the links below out before making a decision.

Keep in mind, I have not seen another cold air on the market running the numbers we are putting down at the drag strip on a car with no other modifications. Just a cold air, tune, and a drag radial to get the power down.

Others with these kind of times that I have seen have needed exhaust and slicks to do it on top of the cold air and tune to do it.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...rap-speed.html

Here is some actual customer feedback as well on our latest tunes.

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f...wesome-491233/