Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

new mods done, but included a serious scare

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 03:21 PM
AKElroy
1st Gear Member

Default new mods done, but included a serious scare

OK, fixing this thread. So much for the I-pad. I received the Brenspeed stage 1 for my 2011 GT; 6m 3.73's. After getting everything bolted up (Steeda CAI, Magnaflow X-Pipe, Steeda (Borla) axle backs & brenspeed 93 race tune, I take her out for a drive. The sound is awesome, and the low-end is far more pronounced. No need to blip the throttle in first; it rolls away cleanly with just a clutch lift. Time to open it up. I drop the hammer, and hit 7000 in 2nd, grab third. HOLY CRAP!! I am blown away by this tune, this noise, and the feel of the car. it is simply a different car. A really freaking fast car.

In love, I come to the next stop, pull out, and the car boggs to a stop, engine sputtering. idiot lights flashing, and not enough power to move an inch. I blew it up. Or so I immediatly assumed. After a minute or two sit, I fire it up, drive 10 feet, and it happens again. I get Chandler @ Brenspeed on the phone, and he has me load the 93 street tune. It works great--feels nearly as strong as the race tune, but lacks a bit of the anger. They speculate that the race tune had a corrupt line of code in my unit causing the ECU to a failsafe shutting eveything down. They are sending me a new race tune next week.

So, all is well, the car is freaking awesome and the soundtrack is ridiculous. it is like they tuned it to the Bullet soundtrack. Way deeper than the Corsa cat backs I had on my 6.0 GTO; that car sounded raspy and high-pitched by comparison. Brenspeed did its homework on this comdo. I may keep this 93 street tune; It already gives the chassis all it can handle & on anything less than perfect pavement is deep into third before hooking up.

Anyone ever load a bad tune though? scared the crap out of me.

Last edited by AKElroy; 01-08-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:25 PM
AKElroy
1st Gear Member

For those considering the kit, the x-pipe and steeda/borlas have zero Highway drone, and are neighbor friendly until poked. I am loving it.

Last edited by AKElroy; 01-08-2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:06 PM
VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

I, unfortunately, had a very similar experience with my Brenspeed tunes. The 93 Race caused the car to sputter and eventually almost shut off after a very quick drive. I had to switch to the 93 Street, and have been using it ever since.

When I voiced my concern to Brenspeed, I did get an updated 93 Race tune, but it's still no good. I've been a long time Brenspeed fanboy/loyalist, and absolutely loved my tunes on my 2008 GT...but I think I'm going to get a set of tunes from American Muscle in the coming weeks.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:21 PM
AKElroy
1st Gear Member

I hope they get it worked out, although i am pleased with the street tune. My mileage has improved as well. I will follow up with them next week.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:29 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

I'm sure you were seeing $$$ flashing before your eyes! Sounds like their quality control or tune process is suspect. That's BS!
Old 01-09-2011, 09:35 PM
AKElroy
1st Gear Member

I was counting big bucks for sure. I thought the tune killed it, the warranty would be void, and I had effectively totaled my new ride. I had not read befOre this thread that others had trouble with brenspeeds race tune. I would be interested to hear from others. Anyone running the 93 race on a coyote?
Old 01-23-2011, 02:23 PM
VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

I imagine it was due to my post in this thread, but I had a welcome surprise the other day! An email showed up in my inbox with a new updated Race tune from Brenspeed. No more issues with sputtering / stalling or knock at high RPM.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:27 PM
AKElroy
1st Gear Member

The fixed me up as well. The race tune they sent works perfectly.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:49 AM
wproctor411
1st Gear Member

A little higher octane helps with some of the wild tunes. I will be getting a Brenspeed tune very soon. Sounds like they worked it out.