Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Regarding tunes and CAI kits for the 2011 GT

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 07:56 PM
Dnet

Thanks to all of you guys for your input - I put my car on the dyno today - bone stock with 600 miles on it and I think I will be tuning it in the very near future - just have to decide on tune and cai kit. Here is my dynoe sheet from today - kinda mediocre I guess but not too shabby.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:23 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SteedaGus
If you look at that graph closely, it looks inconclusive, or at least not completely consistent.

Performance is all about area under the curve. The JLT intake not only made less torque peak torque than STOCK, it made less torque from 4,000 to nearly 6,000rpm, it made less horsepower too. Only pulling out the peak win up top by a couple of horsepower for a total of maybe 700-800rpm. Thats a huge part of the band to be down even from stock. The little bit of power up top isnt going to make up for that.

It did measure more power down low, but I see that a suspect especially considering how far down it is in the middle below a complete stock intake. That is just not right.

The rest of the pulls look fairly clean, Although the Airaid pull looks like the car may have had more timing. I've datalogged enough of these cars to see when the knock sensor is allowing a little more timing down low. Things look like they stabilized towards the end of the run where its all about airflow and the lines pretty much mirror each other which is what I would expect.

Pretty good test overall but I think your JLT data deserved another pull. Surprised you didnt see that huge dip in the midrange.

The airaid pull had the same peak timing as every other run. What are you datalogging with? Try a ford IDS unit or an MCS1 or another OE-lab quality datalogging system, the SCT Livelink datalogging software parameters are somewhat unreliable at this current time.

These tests were done within an hour, in the same temperature, same tune (other than MAF calibrations), same coolant temp, same intake air temp, same dyno, same car, same correction factor, etc. How much more consistency would you like to see?

As for the JLT, I would gladly give them another pull, or replicate this test. I wouldn't call that a large "dip". It's not a dip, if you look at the graph it's very smooth. It's just lacking a gain in that area. We did mention it in our post. However, their gains before and after that 1500 rpm window more than make up for it.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:27 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dnet
Thanks to all of you guys for your input - I put my car on the dyno today - bone stock with 600 miles on it and I think I will be tuning it in the very near future - just have to decide on tune and cai kit. Here is my dynoe sheet from today - kinda mediocre I guess but not too shabby.

Very nice! That's decent. With a little more mileage, the car would probably have another percent or two, once you're up in the 2k mile area.

This is a great baseline, and I'd really like to see the difference on 93 octane with an intake and Bama custom tune. Good luck with your car! Enjoy!
Old 01-15-2011, 10:42 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dewyrussler
Chris - Thanks for posting that info...that is some really good info for those wanting a side-by-side comparison. I will be taking delivery of my 2011 5.0 (MT) in about two weeks and am considering a tuner / CAI as my first upgrade. I'm a total gearhead when it comes to older cars like my ‘83 GT...but this will be the first modern car that I tinker with so programmers, etc. are new to me. I've done a ton of reading on forums, so I'm familiar with them...but I have a few basic questions that you (or anyone else) and would really appreciate good reliable information.

1. From reading, the SCT Bama tune seems like the best fit for me although I haven’t decided for sure. Can I get a tune that works with everything else being stock on my car? Most of the info I’m finding combines a tune with a CAI kit...so I’m not sure if I can just do a tune without a CAI. If it is possible, what kind of numbers would you expect without a CAI? I understand that the best results will come from the combo...but my budget is small so my goal would be to get a tuner now, and then add a CAI in the future when funds become available. Also, are these out-of-the-box tunes that you’ve developed to fit certain configurations (for instance; I could request a tune for a stock MT 5.0 with a tune to work best with a JLT CAI), or would I need to bring my car there to actually create a custom tune?

2. Everywhere I read states that if I have used a programmer and have to take it to the dealer for work, that I need to return the tune to stock. I understand the reasoning behind this but can’t the techs at Ford tell that it has been reflashed? I’m just concerned about keeping my warranty intact. If they can tell I’ve modified it, do they annotate it in records somewhere leading to trouble down the road if I do have a warranty claim that they can say may have been caused by tunes?

3. Lastly, I’m also concerned about longevity as I normally keep my cars for many years. So, do you have any recommendations about safety with these tunes? If the ones that produce the most power are pushing the edge of what is safe for my motor (timing, air/fuel, etc.)...I would be happy with a more conservative tune that I was sure wouldn’t do any harm to my engine.

Thanks in advance for any info guidance Chris, or anyone else out there may provide. I’m very anxious to get my 5.0 and start modifying it...but just want to do it safely and with the best results.

-Dewy
Hey Dewy! Thanks for the message.

1.) You can definitely put a tune on a stock car and expect very good gains. Peak hp and tq numbers are going to increase, but throughout the curve you can expect huge gains in the areas in which the factory has flaws. Also, you'll be able to better dial-in your timing curve for premium 91 or 93 octane fuel. Besides peak RWHP and RWTQ gains and gains throughout the curve, you'll get MUCH better throttle response and increased driveability all the way around. Depending on whether you automatic or manual, it can be pretty night/day. We change shift points, shift firmness, shift speed for auto vehicles as well. Our 3 different maps (Race, Street and Performance) can be pretty drastically different, so you'll definitely find one that works well with your driving habits. As for whether or not the tune is "custom", absolutely! Everything that we do is dialed in 100% for what your modifications are. If you're stock now, we've tested and refined the calibrations for stock auto and manual GT's for the last 8-9 months+ in order to maximize performance, driveability, fuel economy, engine/transmission longevity, etc.

We have a full team of calibrators who you can speak to at any time without having to go through a middle man. You'll be able to talk to the team of individuals responsible for writing your tune files. They're constantly R&Ding new products, as well as Q&A testing our current calibrations with exclusive access to our more than 165,000 square feet of nothing but Mustang-specific products. They have a Dynojet 224xLC and top-level SCT access right here in the building also at their disposal. We have numerous lab quality widebands including AFM1000, Dynojet WB Commander, Innovate and more. They have Ford IDS units as well as other OE quality testing equipment that allows them to dial in precision custom tunes whether or not all datalogging parameters are working with SCT, Diablo, etc. We also offer Diablo tuning, as a side note.

Not only are we dyno testing our products and calibrations (because every company SHOULD be doing that), you can also find us around the streets of Malvern, PA testing our vehicles for accuracy in real conditions, including datalogging. On top of that, our stuff is track proven as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdvDHHaxTu4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHqyHOsvyMY

All of our Street, Performance and Race calibrations are tested for months on multiple vehicles. The company owns 9 Mustangs from different generations including a 2011 V6, 2011 GT, 2011 GT500, 2007 GT, 2006 V6, and numerous 79-04s. On top of that, we have a staff of over 140 with most of them being Mustang enthusiasts and owners. We are constantly testing our products and tunes on employee vehicles as well.

If you have absolutely any questions whatsoever, please feel free to reply. If you want to get ahold of Bama directly, feel free to give them a shout. They're here in the building Monday-Friday from 9AM-5:30PM EST at 888.226.9764!

2.) The dealership techs absolutely CANNOT tell that the vehicle has been reflashed. Once you put the car back to stock, the only thing that needs to be done is to set the emissions switches and KAM memory. This is all of the adaptive memory stored by your computer that is wiped during a flash. This is also wiped if you unhook your battery cable for longer than say 15 minutes. So, if you reflash the car and your dealership asks why the KAM memory or switches aren't set, you can simply tell them that you unhooked the battery cable over the weekend. Even easier than that, you can return it to stock and drive it approximately 50 miles (all driving conditions, not 50 miles of straight highway) before bringing it back into the dealer. That will complete the drive cycle, restore the kam memory and set the switches. They'll never be able to tell ANYTHING was done. Have no worries, there.

3.) In terms of engine/transmission longevity, you have nothing to fear as long as you go with a reputable company. We have been tuning Mustangs for years and literally have THOUSANDS of tunes that leave here a month. We're SCT's largest dealer, hands down. We've tuned more Mustangs and sold more calibrations than anyone out there, SCT will verify. This means that if we were doing something wrong, you'd see alot less happy people. This volume also give us an edge, because we get to see successes and failures alot quicker. We have hundreds of dyno results submitted to us each month from our tune files all across the world. We know that our tunes work or don't work ALOT faster than any of our competitors. You can trust that anything we do will not at all harm the longevity of your vehicle. We have customers who are in the hundreds of thousands of miles, daily driving our Race calibrations, without problems. You're in good hands with Bama!

If you have any questions, you know where I'll be! Thanks for your time. Good luck with your car, can't wait to see how it turns out!
Old 01-15-2011, 11:24 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Although I run Brenspeed tunes, I have to give the edge to Bama (AM), especially if you have an auto. Both will provide you 3 tunes with their packages last I recall but AM offers free tunes for life, Verify that, though.
I can vouch for this. I bought a tuner from AM, and part of the purchase (built into the sale price of the hand held tuner) is Bama free tunes for life.

This is absolutely great for me, I love the fact that as I buy an drive train upgrades, all I have to do is submit my info and I know they will write a new tune to account for the new parts!
Old 01-16-2011, 03:44 AM
Stockstangs
1st Gear Member

Installed the GT 500 axle-backs. This and a CAI are next on my wish list! Bama all the way!
Old 01-16-2011, 01:19 PM
Dewyrussler
1st Gear Member

Chris - Thanks for all the info. That makes me feel more confident that a tuner/CAI is the way to go. Once I take deliver of my car, I'll be giving you a call! Thanks again, Dewy
Old 01-16-2011, 01:46 PM
AKElroy
1st Gear Member

I have a brenspeed stage 1, and it has completely transformed the car. It is not the same car. I have not dyno'd the car, but the 93 street tune has far more low end than stock, allowing clean clutch lifts from idle. The sound from the steeda CAI and steeda/borla axle backs is straight out of "bullet".

As for performance, the chassis and p zeros can't handle what the kit delivers. The lack of traction in 3 gears is ridiculous, and that makes me smile.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:14 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! We're glad that everyone is enjoying the products. It's awesome to see so many people happy with the tunes from all over the place!

Dewy - shoot me over a private message and I'll give you my cell phone so that when you're ready I can get you on with the right people and make sure you get your MustangForums discount!
Old 01-17-2011, 08:38 AM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by AMChrisRose
These tests were done within an hour, in the same temperature, same tune (other than MAF calibrations), same coolant temp, same intake air temp, same dyno, same car, same correction factor, etc. How much more consistency would you like to see?

As for the JLT, I would gladly give them another pull, or replicate this test. I wouldn't call that a large "dip". It's not a dip, if you look at the graph it's very smooth. It's just lacking a gain in that area. We did mention it in our post. However, their gains before and after that 1500 rpm window more than make up for it.
Thats the whole point is the JLT pull wasnt consistent compared to the others, and you and I both know these cars are not consistent. Knock sensor activity can vary from run to run even after do everything exactly right to try and stabilize all the factors. Even the dyno can have a hiccup sometimes which I believe is what happened here.

Smooth or not, its a dip, it read less power, and then a bunch more power down low which I firmly believe that is a false reading. There's been plenty of independent tests I've seen and done enough of our own test tests to know that is not right. None of these intakes have a significant advantage over the other anywhere in the powerband, only minor differences on the top end which in the real world are not significant enough to affect overall performance. You data is at least consistent on that.

Here is an indepedent test by Blow By Racing, another respected tuner. JLT vs Steeda - same power gain, 43hp, torque within 1 ft/lb. Where it should be
https://mustangforums.com/forum/newr...eply&p=7375676

This is one I posted before, 43hp gain. http://forums.corral.net/forums/show....php?t=1275840

Here is an Airaid test by itself. Right around 40hp like it should be, torque curve right where it should be. Peak hp just over 400, and an approx 40hp gain. Everything like it should be.
https://mustangforums.com/forum/tune...i-results.html

The sad part is that the average person on the forums doesnt know any better about these things and will simply believe what they see and drink the Kool-Aid, yet half the time disregard things that are true cause they also may not know any better.

We were the first ones, long before anyone else, touting 40+hp from a cold air and tune, and people always called BS on it. Now its common place but no one says "Steeda was talking about that a while ago and looks like they were right"

Well here we are spelling out the truth again, and that is that no intake on the market, no matter who makes it, is going to have that kind of torque advantage down low over the others. Not without help or an abnormal, incorrect dyno reading. Even the dip where it made less power than stock is not right. The JLT was not making less power than stock in that RPM range, and it certainly wasnt making all that extra power down low either.

Now that we have advanced down the road from when we were first to market and there are more choices, intake choice and the performance you get will be very similar across the board. Especially on the low end.

Last edited by SteedaGus; 01-17-2011 at 09:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Regarding tunes and CAI kits for the 2011 GT