Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Ram Air hoods and aftermarket intake? how does this work?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 01:54 PM
starbai
3rd Gear Member

Default Ram Air hoods and aftermarket intake? how does this work?

Hey folks...

I'm looking into a few hood options.. just looking and building the dream wish list for now.

One of the hoods I was looking into was the Trufiber "Ram Air" Hood...

If you notice, the scoop is supposedly functional... and it runs the air to the stock air box location on a 5.0 (and presumably the 4.6 as well) mustang...

Now, I've got a stock air intake... but more than likely down the road I'll 'upgrade' to the Steeda ProFlow intake with Tune package that they have.

What that will end up giving me though is an air filter not covered or protected by any kind of box or plastic...

So if you're driving in the rain, and water is getting into your hood presumably through this scoop... wouldn't water get directly onto your filter eventually? Isn't there a concern for hydrolock at this point?

Rain is a big concern because I'm in Florida, and rain storms down here can get pretty sick some times...

So anyone know what I should be concerned with here?

Thanks in advance!

Few pics of the "setup"--

Old 01-17-2011, 06:39 PM
Paul1588
1st Gear Member

i can dig it
Old 01-17-2011, 09:02 PM
outastockjohn
2nd Gear Member

you would have to put the filter completely in the water to hydro lock your car. dont think your going to mud bog your mustang. plus rain would have to go sideways and up for it to get though the scoops to drench your filter. drips here and there are just going to water spot and atract dirt.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:25 PM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

That hood will allow more cold air in to the area of the filter it will not "ram" air in. One the surround for the filter and the seal to the hood is not air tight any pressure build up will easily escape to the engine compartment. Two the vents in the hood are not located in an area of high pressure. Once the air starts over the lip of the hood the air rises leaving a boundary layer of stationary air against the top of the hood the air rising over the windshield will build up some pressure at the base of the windshield used in cowl induction hoods but the top of the hood is a low pressure zone better for extraction than a scoop. Look at the FIA GT1 cars you will see extraction vents where that scoop is located. A scoop should either be much farther forward or all the way against the windshield. Or stick way up into the on coming airstream. That said that hood will supply cold air and that alone is worth having.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:10 AM
essayons
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by outastockjohn
you would have to put the filter completely in the water to hydro lock your car. dont think your going to mud bog your mustang. plus rain would have to go sideways and up for it to get though the scoops to drench your filter. drips here and there are just going to water spot and atract dirt.
this.

despite popular opinion, it takes a decent amount of water to hydrolock a motor. At least, more than some rain will provide. Now if gets to the point that you have several inches of puddle gathered in the heat shield, you may want to think about poking a couple holes in the bottom of it.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:28 PM
Falcon Fixer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by essayons
this.

despite popular opinion, it takes a decent amount of water to hydrolock a motor. At least, more than some rain will provide. Now if gets to the point that you have several inches of puddle gathered in the heat shield, you may want to think about poking a couple holes in the bottom of it.
The Steeda cold air box also has a great big hole in the bottom.
That is for the air to come in through the grill, just like stock.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:43 PM
everett
2nd Gear Member

I am assuming you are refering to the shaker hood.Unless you are driving thru a hurricane water is a non issue with the
Old 01-18-2011, 07:44 PM
starbai
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for all the information folks... Basically you're all saying that I've got nothing to worry about. 908 thanks for the full technical explanation. I appreciate you taking the time. I think I understood most of it, and if not I at least got your point.

I'm specifically referring to that hood I posted in the first post of the thread.

Now the real decision. Shelby conversion with the KR500 look alike hood, or Roush Front end with this hood in post 1.

Decisions decisions lol. Thanks again everyone for the replies.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:57 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

The trufiber hoods are awesome. I say go for it. Another option is the Cervini which I have. Pics below: