Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Rear Wheel hop in my new 5.0 Brembo with 3.73's

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 08:43 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

I found this video on you-tube....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umI0h...yer_detailpage
Old 01-20-2011, 08:51 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by grnbayfan
is this something that mainly happens in manual cars or both? im still getting used to mine. what exactly is wheel hop? wheels coming off the pavement?
For me, I have a manual, and with the stock suspension gear, I can make my car wheel-hop so damn easy its stupid. I guess taht is just how powerful our Coyotes are.

Yours, being an auto, might be more tame on the wheel hop, I guess it totally depends on what the stock Ford tune in the 6R80 (your auto tranny) is.
But as powerful as our engines are, I am sure if you step on it, you will make yours wheel hop like a male hamster in heat! LOL!

But to help minimize wheel hop, turn off TCS and AdvanceTrac, and feather the gas pedal so you do not peel out. Of course, the suspension upgrades will do significant help in stopping the hop
Old 01-21-2011, 11:03 AM
grnbayfan
2nd Gear Member

thanks. its taking me some time getting used to hearing the tires screaming since im coming from car with less than half the power so its hard to avoid not slamming the gas to the floor. i have noticed that even barely pressing the gas pedal puts me in the seat back. anyone else notice at night the gauge colors dont seem bright enough to see?
Old 01-21-2011, 11:19 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

FWD cars with 90hp can wheel hop. Just having a powerful engine isn't necessarily in and of itself the key. My 3v car has been a huge pain in the *** w/regard to wheel hop. And it has significantly less power (or did before the KB) than the 5.0.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:57 PM
grnbayfan
2nd Gear Member

what causes the wheel hop then? i seem to see it alot with most muscle cars of today.
is it dangerous at all if i dont really care how fast i am?
Old 01-21-2011, 01:34 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

what causes the wheel hop then? i seem to see it alot with most muscle cars of today.
is it dangerous at all if i dont really care how fast i am?
a lot of it has to do with pinion angle.......it's not dangerous....just as long you don't spin/wheel hop the tires when taking off. If you want to correct it change the lower control arms and install a wheel hop reducer. I never installed a wheel hop reducer but, I hear it could be a pain.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:06 PM
grnbayfan
2nd Gear Member

cool thanks. i find it really easy to spin out when making turns from a stopped position, if flooring it, thats all i have noticed so far.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:13 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
FWD cars with 90hp can wheel hop. Just having a powerful engine isn't necessarily in and of itself the key. My 3v car has been a huge pain in the *** w/regard to wheel hop. And it has significantly less power (or did before the KB) than the 5.0.
Having 300+ bone stock HP is nothing to sneeze at either. Even the stock 4.6l canmake nasty wheel hop with ease.

As for weenie 4 bangers, before I bought my Stang, I drove a 120 HP car, and I could never make it wheel hop. Maybe the suspension was very well designed such that it could never hop at all.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:26 PM
grnbayfan
2nd Gear Member

my problem is i just got this car and i am resisting hard the urge to do burnouts everywhere i go.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:57 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

my problem is i just got this car and i am resisting hard the urge to do burnouts everywhere i go.
Wheel hop will ensure that!!

Quick Reply: Rear Wheel hop in my new 5.0 Brembo with 3.73's