Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Can Steeda CAI w/ OEM Tune REALLY kill my Coyote??

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 09:05 PM
AKElroy
1st Gear Member

Default Can Steeda CAI w/ OEM Tune REALLY kill my Coyote??

The instructions for my Steeda CAI state that it must be run with a tune to avoid running lean & harming the motor. I need to take the car in for a tranny issue, and I do not want to have to re-install the OEM Airbox just to reflash the ECU to stock.

Is the Steeda CAI REALLY going to hurt my motor on the OEM tune???
Old 01-18-2011, 10:13 PM
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

If it's like the older models (2006) any intake that says it requires a tune will need a tune.

I tried my C&L Racer intake without a tune and the car went in to "limp home" mode, where you can only go like 10 mph.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:52 PM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

If you're taking the car in for a Tranny issue, what does that have to do with your intake? Unless your tune somehow messed up your manual transmission, you don't really have any reason to re-install your stock box and tune.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:38 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AKElroy
The instructions for my Steeda CAI state that it must be run with a tune to avoid running lean & harming the motor. I need to take the car in for a tranny issue, and I do not want to have to re-install the OEM Airbox just to reflash the ECU to stock.

Is the Steeda CAI REALLY going to hurt my motor on the OEM tune???
Wait...what? Why do you want to reflash the ECU to stock if you are leaving the aftermarket CAI on the car? To avoid warranty issues?

The whole point of reflashing your ECU to stock is so you CAN reinstall the factory airbox to avoid dealership questions of your aftermarket products. You don't think they will notice the Steeda CAI? I guess I don't understand your logic. LOL
Old 01-19-2011, 07:21 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If you reflash to stock and leave the CAI installed, you'll likely throw a CEL for running lean at which point the dealership will begin screwing with things you don't want them to screw with.

I also don't understand your thinking; if you're wussed out about warranty, then reflash back to stock and install the stock airbox. You can do both in about 15 minutes or less. Otherwise, grow some ***** and take it in as-is and don't take the intimidation bullcrap from the dealer. My '07 was in for warranty work on a few occasions with the CAI & tune. Never an issue.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:09 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Yeah I don't see the logic in reflashing to stock, but leaving the visible evidence on the car, lol. In reality, installing the stock airbox should take, what, 15 minutes? I'd either leave it alone entirely, or reflash/reinstall the stock box...
Old 01-19-2011, 09:45 PM
AKElroy
1st Gear Member

I do not consider the CAI or the exhaust work add-ons that could possibly void the warranty. The tune, on the other hand, might. The tranny is starting to develope syncro-whine in 3 gears. I am not wanting them to void any potential repair because I am making more power than stock. I have also raised the rev limit, so this tranny has seen a few more max revs than a stock box. Am I concerned over nothing?
Old 01-19-2011, 10:29 PM
VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

Dude read the posts above. If you reflash the ECU and leave the intake, 99% likely your car will either stall seconds after starting, or at the very least will go into limp mode and not allow you to go more than 10-15 mph.

Steeda's intake requires a tune not due to lean conditions entirely, but even more so because the MAF is so much larger than stock.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:30 PM
AKElroy
1st Gear Member

Alrighty -- no more warranty paranoia. Unless I manage to blow this thing up, I will not be losing sleep over leaving it like it is when taking it in for service. If the tranny turns into a bucket of loose change or the bottom end falls out of the block, I will reflash & replace the OEM box before the tow. Short of that, I am not going to worry about it.

Thanks to all for the input.

Last edited by AKElroy; 01-19-2011 at 11:34 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:26 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

The tune will do nothing to cause a synchro whine. As a matter of fact, I think it is impossible for a tune to even touch the synchros.

The only thing I know a tune can do as far as the tranny goes, is to deactivate SkipShift.

Other than that, the only time a tune meddles with the tranny itself is in an automatic tranny, and that is to adjust shift points.

Quick Reply: Can Steeda CAI w/ OEM Tune REALLY kill my Coyote??