Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Dash rattle driving me bonkers

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 06:33 PM
AKElroy
1st Gear Member

Default Dash rattle driving me bonkers

My 2011 GT has a rattle in the gage cluster. It sounds like a screw of something loose, but only when the car is cold, and only when hitting bumps. When it warms, I stop hearing it. Anyone dealing with this?
Old 01-09-2011, 12:26 PM
RickyBobby
1st Gear Member

nope, mine is very quiet. I'd get it in the shop, definitely not right.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:07 PM
gregries

Default quiet here

My 2011 GT is also very quiet--2 months old...
Old 01-09-2011, 06:30 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Mine has absolutely no rattle at all. My car was built on the 10th of July, 2010. I have over 6500 miles on the ODO. No rattles whatsoever.

Take it in since your car is not even one month old yet. Tell the dealership you have an annoying rattle and they need to fix the gremlin, even as small of an annoyance it is. No brand new car that is under 1 month old should have such a flaw, even though it is only a very small problem.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:27 PM
AKElroy
1st Gear Member

If I take it in, will I need to re-flash the ECU to stock? If I do, then I will need to put the stock air box on as well to prevent it running lien. Do they normally run codes on every visit, or will they just address the rattle?
Old 01-09-2011, 07:38 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

The rattle is just a loose thing somewhere, nothing to do with a tune, so reflashing a tune should not be necessary.

After all, the rattle didn't start when you put the tune in, right?
Old 01-09-2011, 07:45 PM
AKElroy
1st Gear Member

I am not blaming the rattle on the tune, I just don't want a dealer visit to put my warranty at risk.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:00 PM
lundefinedl
1st Gear Member

I just got mine last tuesday night. About 600 miles now and no rattles to be heard.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:10 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AKElroy
I am not blaming the rattle on the tune, I just don't want a dealer visit to put my warranty at risk.
Don't worry about the warranty. It is specifically illegal by Federal law for the dealership to void the warranty just because you have an aftermarket tune or aftermarket anything.

They can only deny your warranty if they first PROVE the aftermarket stuff caused the failure. And a rattle in the dash is impossible to be caused by a custom tune.

If they say your warranty is void, tell them that is illegal and call Ford Customer Care and file a formal complaint against the dealership for taking an illegal action.

If they deny you any service, force them to prove the custom tune caused the rattle.

But to avoid even all of this, when you take the car in, tell them only about the rattle. Do not volunteer the info that you have a custom tune; just don't even mention the tune at all.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:13 AM
Stockstangs
1st Gear Member

Almost 6000 and no rattle. Actually of all the mustangs I have owned, this one seems to have the quietest interior- other than the motor pipe. That may be why Ford piped the motor sound in- to hide rattles and squeaks! lol

Quick Reply: Dash rattle driving me bonkers