Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Ordering vs. buying off the lot

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 08:14 PM
ebaugh1990

Default Ordering vs. buying off the lot

Ordering a brand new Mustang GT or buy one off the lot??

What would you rather do and why?
Old 02-26-2011, 08:17 PM
todd217
1st Gear Member

order it, otherwise you may be saying i wish it had......
Old 02-26-2011, 08:30 PM
ebaugh1990

Originally Posted by todd217
order it, otherwise you may be saying i wish it had......
True.

My reason behind wanting to order would be knowing no one else has driven it and ragged it out on a test drive.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:42 PM
sketchy00
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ebaugh1990
Ordering a brand new Mustang GT or buy one off the lot??

What would you rather do and why?
Depends on what the priorities are, and how picky you are. I've done it both ways several different times. In hindsight, even though my orders looked good on paper, bottom line is that the dealers want to move what is on the lot (lot taxes, units moved, and other incentives).

Coming from a guy who actually likes to play the game a bit, when laying down the offers, it seems like that you just don't have the leverage on the order that you do the one sitting on the lot. This was confirmed once again with my recent purchase of an '11 Mustang just a couple of weeks ago. But then again, if you are picky, and want everything, ordering may be your deal. (I have to admit that I was terribly impatient on previous vehicles that I had to wait 3+ months for.)

One other thing that has changed a bit is what you really know what the dealer is paying. Invoice used to be the benchmark, but there are so many nuances that you just better become familiar with what the bottom line price for the equipment you want should be. After that, go for it, and be happy with it.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:46 PM
ebaugh1990

Originally Posted by sketchy00
Depends on what the priorities are, and how picky you are. I've done it both ways several different times. In hindsight, even though my orders looked good on paper, bottom line is that the dealers want to move what is on the lot (lot taxes, units moved, and other incentives).

Coming from a guy who actually likes to play the game a bit, when laying down the offers, it seems like that you just don't have the leverage on the order that you do the one sitting on the lot. This was confirmed once again with my recent purchase of an '11 Mustang just a couple of weeks ago. But then again, if you are picky, and want everything, ordering may be your deal. (I have to admit that I was terribly impatient on previous vehicles that I had to wait 3+ months for.)

One other thing that has changed a bit is what you really know what the dealer is paying. Invoice used to be the benchmark, but there are so many nuances that you just better become familiar with what the bottom line price for the equipment you want should be. After that, go for it, and be happy with it.

Although id like to order, usually buying off the lot toward the end of the month is better since you get more discounts. Since the dealer wants to move the car and they usually want to do it as fast as they can. I guess it would be fair to say that ordering is good if you want a specific car, but buying off the lot is good for lower prices and more incentives.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:49 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

For me, I prefer ordering, that is if you are buying rather early to midway through the sales period of the model year being sold. The reason why is because if your order, you are almost guaranteed to have very few miles on the car. Now one else has test driven it, etc.

Now, if you are trying to get big time incentives for left over cars on the lot so the dealership can make room for the next model year, that is a good time to totally skip on the ordering and buy off inventory on the lot. Bu you gamble here: cars with as much as almost 1000 miles on the ODO have been sold as brand new.
If you see such a high mileage car, demand that more be taken off or that the car be sold as a demo.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:09 AM
Big_T_Judge
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
For me, I prefer ordering, that is if you are buying rather early to midway through the sales period of the model year being sold. The reason why is because if your order, you are almost guaranteed to have very few miles on the car. Now one else has test driven it, etc.

Now, if you are trying to get big time incentives for left over cars on the lot so the dealership can make room for the next model year, that is a good time to totally skip on the ordering and buy off inventory on the lot. Bu you gamble here: cars with as much as almost 1000 miles on the ODO have been sold as brand new.
If you see such a high mileage car, demand that more be taken off or that the car be sold as a demo.
Very true Jim.....It all depends on the time of the year, the options you want, how soon you want/need it, and if you don't mind the fact that I test drove the **** outta that thing and had it sideways and smoking the tires going around the first good corner before I ran it up to 100 in a 45. As for me....
Not one dealership in Las Vegas had the candy red GT with the 6spd, brembo's, and 3.73's.....so I had almost no choice but to order to get what I wanted. I ordered it 01/10/11 and was pleasantly told that it will come in as a 2012 and would take 6-8 wks. It's been 7 weeks now and was told this week it would be 1-2 more, so we'll see. I did my research and and knew what the invoice price would be, so I told them I'd pay 1,000 over invoice (2,500 under MSRP) because that was all they were gonna get from me for filling out an order form. Plus, after some magic working, mine will be the only base GT with leather seats since leather's not a "true option" for the base model .....So ordering was really advantageous for me as I saved a lot of $$$ from it not having excessive options, only the ones I wanted, and it's a 2012.

Last edited by Big_T_Judge; 02-27-2011 at 02:26 AM.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:15 AM
wingless
2nd Gear Member

All my vehicles are ordered.

My experience is that I negotiate the same lowest price even w/ an ordered vehicle.

Buy one off-the-lot if you "need" it today.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:31 AM
imsonastie
2nd Gear Member

id order it, they pre order them with a lot of extra crap that you dont want, you can order down to the T on options, like me. i went optionless, just the 5.0 6spd manual, in sterling grey, with the 3:55 rear end. nothing more, i dont care about stripes, wings, louvers, hood scooop, thats just extra weight and bs.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:57 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Unless they have exactly what you want on the lot..order it. I picked off the lot with my last car, and always regreted not getting what I really wanted.

Quick Reply: Ordering vs. buying off the lot