Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2011/2012 Aluminum V-8 - OIL

Old 03-29-2011, 04:05 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

dont have my 5.0 but can't say for sure, but on the 4.6L non-motorcraft brand oil filters leaked, so i stuck with motorcraft. also, people say its a good quality filter.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:18 PM
Norse1974
3rd Gear Member

RP makes their own filters & they are top grade. I recomend you go to theur site & watch the videos listed. Then go to other competitors sites. You will be able to make a choice there after man....

Originally Posted by retiredf5
While we are talking oil, what about the oil filter you use.

Regardless if you use RP, Mobil 1, or whatever, do you normally stay with the Ford OE oil filter or are you using what comes off the shelf where you get the oil changed or if you DIY, do you stay with Ford brand or something else??

Again, I am talking street driving here.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:52 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

I'll be throwing a WIX filter on mine, haven't decided on the oil yet.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:16 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I had Motorcarft oil in mine for the first 10K miles. The first 3K miles was the stock oil the car came with from the factory. From 3K to 7K miles, the dealership put i the "full synth" Motorcraft blend.

I changed the oil myself at 10K miles and put in RP5w20 (I wanted 5W30, but they were sold out).
So far, I am not disappointed with the RP.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:08 PM
Truckbutt
Banned

I was doing some research this morning and came across an article that stated that most of Amsoil's oils are not API certified because they exceed API certification standards for the amout of phosphorous. Amsoil states that they do this to improve performance. I've read that that is damaging to catalytic converters.
Phosphorus (a component of ZDDP - Zinc Dialkyl-Dithio-Phosphate) is the key component for valve train protection in an engine and 1600ppm (parts per million) used to be the standard for phosphorus in engine oil. In 1996 the EPA forced that to be dropped to 800ppm and then more recently (2004?) to 400ppm - a quarter of the original spec. Valvetrains and their components are not especially cheap to replace and this drop in phosphorus content has been a problem for many engines (especially those with flat-tappet type cams). So why was the level dropped? Money. Next to lead, it's the second most destructive substance to shove through a catalytic converter.Read more: http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_b...#ixzz1I6U9mnJB
Old 03-30-2011, 12:35 PM
retiredf5

Truckbutt- - -

Thanks for the info and link . . .makes for interesting reading.

I've got a feeling when oil change time comes, I'll stick with Motorcraft filters and probably Mobil 1- Extended in the 5W-20 weight . . . . unless you come up with another link that says no to Mobil 1
Old 03-30-2011, 01:00 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

There was a thread in here a couple years ago about warranty issues from using royal purple.. dealership wasn't going to honor the warranty because of it. I believe you are supposed to use motorcraft to avoid any issue with warranty work on the engine, most dealerships dont care but some do.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:47 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri
There was a thread in here a couple years ago about warranty issues from using royal purple.. dealership wasn't going to honor the warranty because of it. I believe you are supposed to use motorcraft to avoid any issue with warranty work on the engine, most dealerships dont care but some do.
For the ones that are denying warranty for RP, those dealerships should be sued.
So long as an oil is SAE specced for gasoline engines, the dealerships have absolutely no right to deny warranty work.
Now, if the moron owner put in oils not designed for gasoline engines and got denied warranty service because the incorrect oil damaged something, the dealerships are in the right in turning him down.

Denying warranty on account that someone didn't use Motorcrap is nothing short of a monopoly kind of move. It is a tactic to make the customer shovel more money to Ford even after they bought their car!

Last edited by JIM5.0; 03-30-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:37 PM
Truckbutt
Banned

Royal Purple oil is API certified so I don't see how it could void a warranty. Also, how would the dealer know? Taste test? Perhaps you are talking about a filter?
Old 03-30-2011, 03:07 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

nope, it was oil type for certain, even made people on here decide not to go with certain brands, royal purple doesn't have the proper certification, neither does amsoil (my friend actually sold his amsoil before using it because of that thread) it isn't motorcraft brand, but it is certification, they have that silver star on the front if it is certified.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011/2012 Aluminum V-8 - OIL