Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2011/2012 Aluminum V-8 - OIL

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 02:00 PM
retiredf5

Default 2011/2012 Aluminum V-8 - OIL

Did a quick search but found little pertaining to the GT's Aluminum V-8.

Other than personal preference, is there any factual data out there on the benefits of using one makers FULL synthetic oil over another in the GT V-8 engine??

I'm not talking about oil weight, just one brand over another.

Thanks
Old 03-29-2011, 03:05 PM
Norse1974
3rd Gear Member

Probally not gonna find much data on this. However after break in period Ive always used Royal Purple in ALL my engines through out the whole driveline. NEVER had an issue & actually increased motors performance.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:06 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

there are a few oil debate threads floating around the site. basically, modern oils are far superior to anything they had 30 years ago and even 15 years ago. it's one reason they now say you can go longer between oil changes.

but no, if you go full synthetic it really doesn't matter which you use, some people think royal purple is awesome, others think its the worst thing you can do to your engine. i've been using mobil 1 in my 4.6L.

It really doesn't matter though, comparing the 4.6 sohc 3v to the 5.0 dohc 4v they may be different engines but the oil works the same way.

I'll say the different oils will give you superior gas mileage(however tiny bump, not worth worrying about), but they achieve peek verscosity and a lower temp. doesn't mean it wont work as well, but it was debated heavily for awhile the 5w20 vs 10w30... you'd have to have a very accurate temp gauge and see what your oil is running at to determine the "best" oil, but i dont think its worth the time/effort.

and anyone that claims using a different oil gives them noticeable performance is delusional.

Last edited by Mishri; 03-29-2011 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:10 PM
Truckbutt
Banned

I believe that as long as you follow the manufacturer's recommended type, viscosity, and schedule of oil/filter changes any brand that meets the most current API standard will do.
Here is a reference:
http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html
Old 03-29-2011, 03:14 PM
Norse1974
3rd Gear Member

NEVER said noticable bro... Just an "increase" which has been dyno proven by RP and others.Typical RWHP gain has been 5-7 hp IF it is used through out whole driveline. Motor alone will do nothing for the dyno results.

Originally Posted by Mishri
there are a few oil debate threads floating around the site. basically, modern oils are far superior to anything they had 30 years ago and even 15 years ago. it's one reason they now say you can go longer between oil changes.

but no, if you go full synthetic it really doesn't matter which you use, some people think royal purple is awesome, others think its the worst thing you can do to your engine. i've been using mobil 1 in my 4.6L.

It really doesn't matter though, comparing the 4.6 sohc 3v to the 5.0 dohc 4v they may be different engines but the oil works the same way.

I'll say the different oils will give you superior gas mileage(however tiny bump, not worth worrying about), but they achieve peek verscosity and a lower temp. doesn't mean it wont work as well, but it was debated heavily for awhile the 5w20 vs 10w30... you'd have to have a very accurate temp gauge and see what your oil is running at to determine the "best" oil, but i dont think its worth the time/effort.

and anyone that claims using a different oil gives them noticeable performance is delusional.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:17 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Waiting on this to turn into an amsoil love fest lol.

Honestly any relatively good quality oil should be absolutely fine. I've run amsoil through mine for my first interval and in the future plan on using Pennzoil Ultra on my next change. Popular oils are Royal Purple, Amsoil, and Mobil 1 (by far). I know the whole "fully" synthetic debate will come up in here, but unless you plan on running your engine for a million miles, you're going to be absolutely fine up to 200k with any "fake" synthetic as well. "Fake" includes things like Pennzoil Ultra, Mobil 1, Castrol/Valvo Synths etc, and "Real" includes RP and Amsoil. But getting real, any of those will run great through your engine.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:19 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

google is your friend
Old 03-29-2011, 03:21 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Originally Posted by Norse1974
NEVER said noticable bro... Just an "increase" which has been dyno proven by RP and others.Typical RWHP gain has been 5-7 hp IF it is used through out whole driveline. Motor alone will do nothing for the dyno results.
each dyno run can be +/- up to 10whp, i don't buy, never have, never will, it doesn't even make any sense why it would give you more power. I've read why people think it would but it doesn't make sense.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:24 PM
Norse1974
3rd Gear Member

Alrite cool..... Glad we agree to disagree. :-)

Originally Posted by Mishri
each dyno run can be +/- up to 10whp, i don't buy, never have, never will, it doesn't even make any sense why it would give you more power. I've read why people think it would but it doesn't make sense.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:57 PM
retiredf5

Default Thanks for the feedback . . . BUT

While we are talking oil, what about the oil filter you use.

Regardless if you use RP, Mobil 1, or whatever, do you normally stay with the Ford OE oil filter or are you using what comes off the shelf where you get the oil changed or if you DIY, do you stay with Ford brand or something else??

Again, I am talking street driving here.

Quick Reply: 2011/2012 Aluminum V-8 - OIL