Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

GT500 Axle Back Muffler Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 03:07 PM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

Default GT500 Axle Back Muffler Install

Just thought I would help share my experience with the install.

Axle Back
Part # MGTCA1

I did the install on my driveway. The kit didn't come with instructions so it was basically trial and error and referring to the forums for help.

It's a pretty straight forward process...unbolt the mufflers at the clamp behind the rear axle, and replace with new axle back.

Here are some tips that I think would make the job easier...some have already been mentioned, some have not.

-Put the rear end on ramps or jack the rear up & support with jack stands to give yourself some clearance. I would recommend giving yourself at least an additional 3" - 4" of clearance to give yourself some room to maneuver down there. I read a post somewhere where the guy didn't need to jack the car up. I'm not super thin, but not fat either. I wouldn't have been able to do this without this additional clearance.

-Dislodge the muffler from the rear hanger first. It makes it easier to pivot/shift the muffler around. The long, inside hanger is the toughest one to dislodge/re-install. When installing, re-insert the rear hanger last. Obviously, the long, inside hanger is the one you want to handle first upon install.

-Loosen the mid-pipe. You just need to loosen, not remove the nuts. You can get the mufflers out without dropping the mid-pipe with a little bit of muscle. It's pretty much impossible to install them with the mid-pipe in the way. After your drop the muffler, slide the mid-pipe rear so they drop from the H-pipe. Then move the mid-pipe out of the way. After you get the new mufflers in place, you can slide them as far back in the hangers to re-install your mid-pipes and then bring the mufflers forward to seat the mid-pipes.

-Not sure why, but the driver's side removal and install was more difficult than the passenger side. I had to yank down on the inside, long hanger grommet opening on the driver side just to get the long hanger back in there.

What should've been a 1 hour install took around two hours. Had I known about these slight nuances, the install would've been closer to about 45 min.

Hope this helps.

The mufflers are slightly louder than stock. It is a noticeable difference. I've already had my resonators removed so the exhaust has a little bit more growl to it. Not too loud, not too quiet and I can hear exhaust when I'm driving now.

edited 12/21
One more thing: I forgot to mention that WD40, or any type of spray lube (I didn't have WD40 so I used CLP which I use on my 1911!) will help with the removal of the hangers. Also, I applied a thin coat on the new muffler hangers upon install.

Last edited by Thrashard340; 12-21-2011 at 11:17 AM. Reason: updated verbage for detail.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:01 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Nice write-up, could you post pics? Especially the part about where to just loosen the mid pipes. I'm trying to picture it in my mind, but I could be imagining it all wrong
Old 12-18-2011, 06:09 PM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

Unfortunately, I didn't take any pics.

There are a set of clamps between the resonators and H-pipe. Each clamp has two bolts.

Here's a pic from Mustangs&FastFords magazine.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=2011+...:0&tx=46&ty=52