Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

JLT vs. Mishimoto Oil Catch Can?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 02:24 PM
Truckbutt
Banned

Default JLT vs. Mishimoto Oil Catch Can?

Anyone have any opinions on which one is better? The JLT is about $30 more expensive with shipping.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:49 PM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

The JLT unit uses factory Ford hoses, which means install takes literally 30 seconds, tops, and they are ultra-durable (being Ford hoses). The Mishimoto unit has a sight glass (more like sight plastic), which I have found most useful as a source for a vacuum leak.

The JLT unit also honestly looks like it came from the factory there - that's how well it's engineered. I'd definitely spend the extra $30 - I did.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:42 AM
Truckbutt
Banned

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
The JLT unit uses factory Ford hoses, which means install takes literally 30 seconds, tops, and they are ultra-durable (being Ford hoses). The Mishimoto unit has a sight glass (more like sight plastic), which I have found most useful as a source for a vacuum leak.

The JLT unit also honestly looks like it came from the factory there - that's how well it's engineered. I'd definitely spend the extra $30 - I did.
Thanks, I'm sold.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:37 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

http://www.conceptualpolymer.com

Better separators than either of the two the OP mentioned.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:11 PM
traxiii

Mine is from Speedair and I bought it from Graingers. Works great.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:43 PM
VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide

What makes those better?
Old 05-08-2011, 02:09 PM
drboyd

I have to say that I really had to clench up tight to spend the money on the JLT, but having seen it up close and installed it, it's probably touching over on the "worth it" side. If it works half as well as it fits and looks, it's a deal.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:07 PM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide

I would argue that there's a point of diminishing returns with these - how much oil do you realistically need to capture? The JLT unit captures well over 90% of the oil in the stream - is the last 5% worth 2x the cost? Plus, there is the fact that the JLT unit modifies stock Ford PCV hoses in its construction and maintains a factory look.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:43 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Not only does the conceptualpolymer probably do a better job of capturing blowby than the JLT. It will store more of it before you have to empty the reservoir. I got real tired, real quick, of emptying my little husky separator every 200 miles. It may not be as big of a deal naturally aspirated but boosted cars seem to have significantly more blowby.

The JLT is not even close to half the cost of the conceptualpolymer. $119 vs. $155. And $155 with the conceptualpolymer gets you an extra filter, brass fittings, and the bigger reservoir.

Last edited by Riptide; 05-09-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:33 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

I'm waiting on my JLT one to come in now. Did a lot of looking around and the JLT had the easiest install, best fit and finish and holds plenty of oil IMO. $119 well spent.

Quick Reply: JLT vs. Mishimoto Oil Catch Can?