Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

thoughts on installing the Boss 302 intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 11:39 PM
Imastang

Default thoughts on installing the Boss 302 intake

Has anyone installed the Boss 302 Intake on your 11 gt?
If so do you like the performance? is it noticable?
Or are you thinking of doing this?

I was thinking of getting this and a custom Tune run that for a while and later put a procharger on. Do not have the money to do the procharger right now.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:06 AM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

Haven't done it myself, but from what I've been reading, its definitely a worthwhile mod, netting your about 40 hp. Higher flow should also net you more gains once you do install the supercharger. There are several sources to buy the intake, but check the Steeda site, I think they have a list of parts that should make the installation easier.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:39 PM
darksky1984
2nd Gear Member

Will the BOSS 302 intake still clear the stock GT strut tower brace or will I have to get another brand?
Old 05-22-2011, 07:35 PM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

It will not clear the stock strut tower brace, but there is a Ford Racing STB that will clear it.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:10 PM
skyline247

I haven't installed it, but I think it nets you some horsepower up top while losing a little bit of torque down low. It will not clear the stock brace, but I think either the stock V6 brace or the Ford Racing one mentioned above will work for it. From what I've read, it seems like a great mod to have. You'll definitely want to get a custom tune to get the most out of it.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:30 AM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by skyline247
I haven't installed it, but I think it nets you some horsepower up top while losing a little bit of torque down low. It will not clear the stock brace, but I think either the stock V6 brace or the Ford Racing one mentioned above will work for it. From what I've read, it seems like a great mod to have. You'll definitely want to get a custom tune to get the most out of it.
You'll gain a LOT up top and lose a little down load...emphasis on a little. Also, a custom tune would be REQUIRED when doing this.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:04 PM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by parchisi
You'll gain a LOT up top and lose a little down load...emphasis on a little. Also, a custom tune would be REQUIRED when doing this.
Correct. Here's a dyno comparison on a stock car vs a Boss intake/Steeda CAI/Custom tune on 93 oct.

You see there is very little torque loss, but the top end power is fantastic.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:05 PM
MustangRSG
1st Gear Member

Anyone know of there is an MPG difference? Not that it's that big of a concern, just curios.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:39 PM
CJStang50
1st Gear Member

I run the BOSS Manifold on my ProCharged Car, and I have to say it is a night-&-day difference. By far, this has been the greatest "bolt on" I've added. I agree that the stock brace will not cover it, however the Steeda brace will (see my image below). As I've mentioned on other threads, you do lose noticeably at the low end. However, from what I understand, the addition of the L&M throttle body combats this. I haven't pulled the trigger on the L&M because they're having trouble delivering. I think I'm gonna wait for the FRPP TB. But let me tell you, get this thing above 4500rpm, when my car builds boost, and I have had my car pinned before I knew it. The car is an absolute rocket from 60-160. I didn't get the $200 "installation kit", which you can easily do with the zip ties and some 5/8 vacuum line. As for MPG, I really haven't noticed a difference, but I've had the car off the road for a little while for other mods.

Moroso2 by cameronjarki, on Flickr

Moroso1 by cameronjarki, on Flickr
Old 05-23-2011, 10:13 PM
Imastang

Thanks for the responses I think I am definitely going to go the boss intake route along with the air raid cai and the tune from bamma To put it all together. I need to wait a which on the pro charger but that will be the next one

Quick Reply: thoughts on installing the Boss 302 intake