Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

For those of you wasting $500+ on axle backs

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 07:01 PM
kingsofcrunk
3rd Gear Member

Lightbulb For those of you wasting $500+ on axle backs

I really don't know why so many of you go out and spend that kind of money on axle backs, considering that the 2011's will still retain their factory resonators with just muffler swaps and the factory piping is considerably restrictive. I don't know why I don't see more people do what I did. If you find the right website, and I can provide one, you can get the flowmaster catback that I have, which includes full 3" tubing from the cat back AND eliminates the factory resonators all for just under $500 shipped. You can get the kit either with chambered or hushpower mufflers. I'm not saying flowmaster is the best out there, I just don't understand spending that much one just axle backs and keeping the resonators.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:00 PM
austin101385
1st Gear Member

Speaking from experience, I went with my exhaust in peices. After doing a hushpower axleback, I removed my resonators. Removing the resonators may be undesireable for a lot of people, unless changing the midpipe to an x-pipe. When I removed the resonators, it caused more drone, resonance, and popping. It didn't really help much at all with making the exhaust louder, except at WOT. When looking inside the resonators, they are just baffled, which I wouldn't think would hurt you with hp. The dent in the resonators doesn't cause a dent on the inside (it is perfectly circular inside). I think the resonators on this car are more for sound control, vs emissions like the cats, so you won't get much benefit in removing the resonators...atleast I felt no difference...even after getting a catback with bigger diameter pipes.

Changing the diameter of the pipes may help a little, but more so with a tune. I'm no expert, but trying to learn as I go. I finally got tired of the glasspack sounding hushpower and drone and went with a borla s-type catback.

Just installed the mufflers first without the resonators...a lot of popping. After installing the x-pipe that came with the kit, it smoothed the exhaust out and slowed down a lot of that popping.

Hope this helps
Old 06-02-2011, 08:47 PM
HBOMB44

I am gonna have to make a good recording of my cheap straight pipe from the resonater's back. It sounds like pure sex when you get on it and is nearly stock quiet when cruising on the highway. I'm not sure about any HP gain's but it shave's a bit of weight off. It cost $200 installed + the cost of the bigger tips.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:28 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

GT500 takeoffs are around $250..and have been perfect for me.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:03 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

It's all really what you like. Literally every exhaust sounds different, and if you really care about that sound, then it might be worth it for some to attach any price tag to the kind they like. You only live once.

Although you love the sound of your sub $500 solution, that doesn't mean it's a widely enjoyed tone. I mean if we're going off of price, then everybody should just go straight-pipe. That's not viable though, most don't like it that loud and although I love hearing one, I don't think I'd personally run that setup on my car.

I paid $700-esque for my Borla Touring Axlebacks, was it worth it for me? Yes it was. The sound to me is the perfect balance of loud and quiet at the right times, it has a tone I really love and I wouldn't want to change it out at all. For me, exhaust note is one of the things I love most about owning a V8. So for me, I wasn't willing to bend when it came to exhaust . To each his own!
Old 06-03-2011, 07:08 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

this is my friend's $100 axle back.
actually its not an axle back it is a muffler delete fabbed by a shop still retaining the resonators, with a Lethal 3" o/r x pipe.
so it's way cheaper than $500.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dSsylsSdTQ
Old 06-05-2011, 02:02 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

I think that sounds pretty good onederful100... and yes, the cat-back exhaust is all about sound, not performance, so it's a ricer mod.. like those people who put fart cans on their cars... (except our v8s sound a hell of a lot better than their 4 cyl)

I haven't seen anyone making any claims of any worthwhile power gains w/o going to LT headers and/or an off-road(catless) mid pipe.

I do agree that $500 is way too much for mufflers, 200-300 is more reasonable.. I see catback exhaust kits for $800, insane. i have seen some axleback exhaust for $250ish.

Last edited by Mishri; 06-05-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:03 PM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kingsofcrunk
I really don't know why so many of you go out and spend that kind of money on axle backs, considering that the 2011's will still retain their factory resonators with just muffler swaps and the factory piping is considerably restrictive. I don't know why I don't see more people do what I did. If you find the right website, and I can provide one, you can get the flowmaster catback that I have, which includes full 3" tubing from the cat back AND eliminates the factory resonators all for just under $500 shipped. You can get the kit either with chambered or hushpower mufflers. I'm not saying flowmaster is the best out there, I just don't understand spending that much one just axle backs and keeping the resonators.
Understand that most people that pay over $500 for their axlebacks are also going for the look. I don't think the Flowmasters are stainless steel. All of the 500+ systems are. I'm betting that your system isn't stainless steel. I can appreciate the modder that wants to save a few $'s and that's perfectly fine. But there are other reasons to consider besides cost.

BTW...I have a $580 set of Bassani's on my GT. They are stainless steel and when people see them from behind, they shine. However, I only paid $180 for mine because I found a used set on Craigslist. How's that for saving a few pennies?
Old 06-06-2011, 05:14 PM
cbaty08
1st Gear Member

I did the same thing; went down to the local muffler shop and had straight pipes and tips thrown on. I get complements everyday on it.

The shop had a used pair of tips that looked great for me and the guy used those and charged me 100 flat for the whole service.

Couldn't be happier about saving my moneysssssss!
Old 06-07-2011, 07:05 PM
J-Rat

Howdy

I did'nt pay $500.00 for my exhaust. I bought the roush cat backs. A little over $300.00. It's the best money that I have spent on this car.
Now it sounds like it should. ( A little loud and sometimes out-right BAD
*** !!!!!!!!!!!!!!) ( and I will be 55 this year )( Let the bow tie guy's be
quiet and refined.)
I will never take this car to the track. I love the the way my car sounds.
Roush gets an a+ for fit, finish, and sound.

J-Rat

Quick Reply: For those of you wasting $500+ on axle backs