Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Mods for the 2011 5.0 auto

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 06:06 AM
Sleeper5.0
1st Gear Member

Well we have decided to go with the BAMA tune.. The numbers look awesome..

Gearing maybe way later.. I am really enjoying the ride of the car now.. Not really looking to make a drag racer out of it yet.. My wife still will be driving it back and forth to work daily..

I am sure the SC market is going to take off for this engine..

She had her first victim today.. Some nerds in their Chevy truck.. Must suck to get beat by a girl and beat bad...
Old 06-15-2011, 10:04 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

gears will kill your highway mpgs, i expect to be down around 22 hwy after i install 4.10s I'll probably do an O/R exhaust pipe and gears, 4.10s about the same time. but it's not a DD and I do drag race. after that a boss intake manifold. (you need some supporting mods to take advantage of that, full bolt ons helps) I wont bother with axle-backs, i haven't heard any that have made me say ooo like boomtubes on the 4.6L did and they don't add power. Keep in mind these come with factory shorty headers, so the gains don't seem to great and LT headers are a PITA to install, but if you are looking to blow money go for it

I don't like messing with the shocks/struts, too much hassle for drag racing and if its your wifes daily driver she wont want the stiff suspension. The ride in the 2011+ is a lot smoother than my old 2007.

The CAI doesn't seem to do a lot for how much they cost, but I figure it's an incremental mod, with exhaust and intake manifold and everything else it'll help more.

Finally, keep in mind the boss has different heads/cams as well. You can easily hit around 430whp with bolt ons in the 5.0 past that you'll want to look into n2o or supercharger, or if you can do the work yourself heads/cams might be slightly cheaper than a supercharger, but you wont have as much power, i believe with heads/cams and all bolt ons they hit 505whp.

as far as superchargers for autos I thought there was one from whipple? maybe not. there shouldn't be such a big difference I wonder what the deal is with that?

Like they said, a good tune from bama or brenspeed or letha performance with an sct3 is what you want to get right away

Last edited by Mishri; 06-15-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:02 PM
Sleeper5.0
1st Gear Member

I don't think I will change the exhaust for a while.. You got to remember I am going for the sleeper look.. If I pull up and the car rumbles the fillings out of their teeth the jig is up...

I have yet to see the great gas mileage I was expecting.. Might have something to do with a lot of stomping the right-hand pedal.

Can't wait to get the tune.. Going to up load the street for the wife and the performance for the weekends..

My buddy wants to run it in the 1/8 against his 302 maverick this weekend.. That should be interesting.. I have a friend with a Challenger.. He won't try it.. I would like to see if it can really stand up to one...
Old 06-15-2011, 02:08 PM
Sleeper5.0
1st Gear Member

Got the lojack installed today.. Pretty cool..

Got the badges also from the dealer today.. Should have em on tomorrow and will shoot a few pics.. Only difference in the look of mine and the v6 is I will have the pony badges on the side.. I have to to cover the holes where the 5.0 goes.. Other than that, the regular geek off the street will think it's the v6..
Old 06-16-2011, 05:44 AM
DarkCandy08GT
1st Gear Member

Bama tunes are inferior to others. You want a bad *** auto get a Lund, UPR or VMP tune.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:34 PM
Sleeper5.0
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DarkCandy08GT
. You want a bad *** auto get a Lund, UPR or VMP tune.
Yeah I have read that the Lund tune is awesome.. Yet where do you get the dang thing? Does it have that poor of marketing?
Old 06-16-2011, 03:33 PM
DarkCandy08GT
1st Gear Member

Lund Racing <sales@lundracing.com> or you can order from Evolution or Lethal performance.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:23 PM
Sleeper5.0
1st Gear Member

whew they are proud of them... That price is just for the tune...
Old 06-16-2011, 05:29 PM
Sleeper5.0
1st Gear Member

Photos of the new badges are in my album.. They look really good.. I have to admit the false cap for the V6 looks way better than the GT one..

https://mustangforums.com/forum/memb...stang-5-0.html
Old 06-16-2011, 05:37 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

yeah Lund's tunes are a bit pricy for me.. I needed a 91 and 93 tune (93 isn't available in my town, but it is near the track i race at) it would be $400, then everytime I do a new mod $400, not gonna do that.

also, I haven't seen any evidence that Bama's tunes are inferior dyno tests show they are equal to any other, even close to a dyno tune.

Also, So far Lund and VMP don't have the best 1/4 times yet, the only person to run 11.8@118mph with tune+drag radials only is running a livernois tune. although he had great DA, adjusted its a 12.0@117. as far as UPR goes, never even heard of them.

here is the deal with tunes, every tuner that tunes using an SCT gets tune files from SCT, the tuner can then tweek them how they like, most of the time it's really not much different some people like the feel of other tunes but most of the time there is no demonstrateable difference between one tune from another at the dragstrip.

If any tuner disagrees and wants me to test their tune vs others just e-mail me your tune and I'll compare, my car can run very consistently.

Last edited by Mishri; 06-16-2011 at 05:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Mods for the 2011 5.0 auto