Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

KW V3 Incoming

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 03:43 PM
Ryan Hill

Default KW V3 Incoming

Hey guys, new around here. I bought a 2011 5.0 about a month ago coming from a 2010 370z.

I'm LOVING my stang, but I have to admit, I miss the braking (I'm non-brembo) and the feel of the suspension the Z had so.... What else to do but drop a couple G's on a coil over setup!

So a set of KW Variant 3's are being put on the car this coming Saturday, and I fully expect it to feel dreamy. I'll be tracking it a month from now at Eagle Canyon Raceway and I'm really hoping for an awesome experience. The Z was a blast out there, but a lot more fun in the turns than the straights. The mustang with the coilovers should be the best of both worlds aside from the brakes, with will almost certainly be coming back destroyed. Hmmmmm.... big brake kit?

Anyways, I'll be updating periodically to keep the forum informed of how these workout, both after I slap em' on this weekend and post track day.

http://www.eaglescanyon.com/2008/home.php
Old 06-18-2011, 04:41 AM
Swoope

wow,

you could get a great suspension and brakes for what you waste on the kws.

dont get me wrong, but unless you are running on r compounds and a pro driver you are wasting your money. you will still be on street tires learning..

good luck.

beers
Old 06-18-2011, 11:56 AM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

If you want to go with a gucci coilover system, more power to ya. For the brakes though I'd recommend at least swapping in some HP+ pads and dot 4 fluid, will allow you to make the most of the stock brakes.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:42 PM
JAJ
2nd Gear Member

Congratulations on the KW's - they should be awesome! I had ClubSports on my M3 and it transformed the handling on a car that already handled well.

I'm going to be very interested in how this kit works on the track and on the street. There's a deep rooted belief on many of the Mustang forums that a set of lowering springs and new shocks are all anyone ever needs. You might have noticed that tone emerging already...

I've got a set of lowering springs and sport dampers on my 2011 GT Brembo, and they perform well, but I'm still very curious about how a KW kit might work. Keep us posted!

Originally Posted by Ryan Hill
Hey guys, new around here. I bought a 2011 5.0 about a month ago coming from a 2010 370z.

I'm LOVING my stang, but I have to admit, I miss the braking (I'm non-brembo) and the feel of the suspension the Z had so.... What else to do but drop a couple G's on a coil over setup!

So a set of KW Variant 3's are being put on the car this coming Saturday, and I fully expect it to feel dreamy. I'll be tracking it a month from now at Eagle Canyon Raceway and I'm really hoping for an awesome experience. The Z was a blast out there, but a lot more fun in the turns than the straights. The mustang with the coilovers should be the best of both worlds aside from the brakes, with will almost certainly be coming back destroyed. Hmmmmm.... big brake kit?

Anyways, I'll be updating periodically to keep the forum informed of how these workout, both after I slap em' on this weekend and post track day.

http://www.eaglescanyon.com/2008/home.php
Old 06-19-2011, 02:25 AM
Ryan Hill

Originally Posted by Swoope
wow,

you could get a great suspension and brakes for what you waste on the kws.

dont get me wrong, but unless you are running on r compounds and a pro driver you are wasting your money. you will still be on street tires learning..

good luck.
beers
You need a whopper junior little buddy? It's okay, we'll get you a whopper junior
Old 06-19-2011, 02:27 AM
Ryan Hill

Install got postponed. Parts not in yet.

Hopefully earlier this week. Looking at a stoptech big brake kit next....
Old 06-19-2011, 02:28 AM
Ryan Hill

Install got postponed. Parts not in yet.

Hopefully earlier this week. Looking at a stoptech big brake kit next....
Old 06-19-2011, 02:35 AM
Swoope

Originally Posted by JAJ
Congratulations on the KW's - they should be awesome! I had ClubSports on my M3 and it transformed the handling on a car that already handled well.

I'm going to be very interested in how this kit works on the track and on the street. There's a deep rooted belief on many of the Mustang forums that a set of lowering springs and new shocks are all anyone ever needs. You might have noticed that tone emerging already...

I've got a set of lowering springs and sport dampers on my 2011 GT Brembo, and they perform well, but I'm still very curious about how a KW kit might work. Keep us posted!
no,

not really, dont have a 197. have a rx8 track car.. did springs, shocks and sways. light wheels and grippy street tires.

get the point by all the time from far more well equipped cars.

so are you saying putting in very 2k worth of coil overs will make you a better driver?

or they are a good idea on the street? cause you can slam it for almost nothing.

if you are putting coil overs on a car it is because it is the next step, not the first.

hey but what do i know i could be wrong.

btw, op if the braking is the same as your z. braking is controlled by the tire.. the brembos would only help you in a track event that would heat the brakes.

beers

Last edited by Swoope; 06-19-2011 at 02:38 AM.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:22 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Not sure I get the point of ^^^^^?
Old 06-19-2011, 05:21 PM
JAJ
2nd Gear Member

Your ability to go quickly at the track is almost more because you're a good driver and less about what you're driving. Skill and ability overcome technology most of the time.

That said, a good handling car is easier to drive fast than a weak handling car, and my preference is "easier". So, I'll think about things like coilovers and double adjustable dampers just so I have a more relaxing day at the wheel.

Originally Posted by Swoope
no,

not really, dont have a 197. have a rx8 track car.. did springs, shocks and sways. light wheels and grippy street tires.

get the point by all the time from far more well equipped cars.

so are you saying putting in very 2k worth of coil overs will make you a better driver?

or they are a good idea on the street? cause you can slam it for almost nothing.

if you are putting coil overs on a car it is because it is the next step, not the first.

hey but what do i know i could be wrong.

btw, op if the braking is the same as your z. braking is controlled by the tire.. the brembos would only help you in a track event that would heat the brakes.

beers

Quick Reply: KW V3 Incoming