Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Installed Boss oil cooler, noticed my water temperature

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 07:49 AM
Rejeme

Default Installed Boss oil cooler, noticed my water temperature

I installed the Boss oil cooler and trans soop on my 11 a few days ago. Have about 300 miles since the install. I am currently running the GT radiator. I use my Aeroforce gauge to monitor a few parameters including water temp. Before the oil cooler went on, my water temp would flucuate beween 190-198 day and night. Now I am seeing the temp flucuate between 192-206 during the day. I had never seen my car water temp hit 200. The 206 was read idling in a drive through for about 20 min. during the day when it was 107 outside, AC on. At night the highest it got was 202. Local area outdoor temp here has been averaging around 107 durning the day and 90 at night. The system was properly filled with the same amount of coolant taken out during the install. The factory dummy gauge reads the same as it did stock. Any thoughts. I'm thinking a Boss radiator might be in my future.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:12 AM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

192-206 is a normal range. The extra heat, obviously, is from the heat of the oil.

You can get a BOSS radiator, and it'd probably help, but honestly those temps aren't high enough for me to worry about. When they start getting to 230-240, then I'd start worrying.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:04 AM
Rejeme

Good to know about the acceptable temps. I was just surprised to see it go over 200 for the first time.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:25 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

FWIW i hooned the crap out of my boss on the track a few weeks ago when it was 100 out and the temps never wavered after four 20 minute red line sessions on the track. boy did i go through some fuel though, nearly half a tank in session four when i was all up on it lol
Old 06-28-2011, 07:13 PM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

On my SHO, the fans wouldn't even kick on until 210. The aux fan kicked on at 220. At 240 I'd probably start backing off, but it'd generally be ok below that. If you run that a lot, I'd definitely look into some auxiliary cooling, though.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:54 PM
drboyd

The Boss oil cooler restricts coolant flow to some (unknown) extent; that's why your temps went up. To compensate, you might try going with 25% antifreeze / 75% water. That'll give you much better heat transfer.

See http://www.redlineoil.com/content/fi...ech%20Info.pdf
Old 07-13-2011, 02:09 AM
Rejeme

While I agree that the new Boss lower coolant hose blocks flow to some extent, you have to remember that half the coolant is redirected more than blocked. Either way, I doubt the Boss would benefit from less coolant flow. If what I've read is correct the water pump and thermostat are identical to the GT. Its apparent the oil cooler is effective at scrubbing heat, its just transferring that heat to the coolant for the radiator to cool down. The other difference is the radiator. The radiator for the boss is a larger unit. I've decided to install the Boss radiator and see what happens. It should be here today if UPS comes through. I'll compare temps from before and after the install.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:21 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

Where your initial temp reading taken during same weather conditions as the ones after cooler install? Did you properly bleed the cooling system after wards, sounds like you may have a small air pocket.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:10 PM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

Stock heat goes to the water from the engine and into the air from the radiator.

Your new set up has heat transferring to the water from the engine and from the oil but the heat goes to the air but the same radiator. It is perfectly logical that your water temperature would go up. But think of this your oil temperature is also just over 200 and that is probably significantly lower than it was stock.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:42 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

I can't even imagine why someone would waste their time with this. that is typical operating temps for any engine i've ever owned. sounds like a waste of time/money. those are my thoughts anyway.

I pay more attention to AIT's, and on the 5.0s you wont have anything to worry about till you go F/I. even at idle my ait is very clsoe to ambient air temp.

Quick Reply: Installed Boss oil cooler, noticed my water temperature