MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L V8 Technical Discussions (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-v8-technical-discussions-137/)
-   -   Flowmaster American Thunder or Roush Axle backs? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-v8-technical-discussions/650241-flowmaster-american-thunder-or-roush-axle-backs.html)

tightdogal 08-12-2011 08:19 AM

Flowmaster American Thunder or Roush Axle backs?

So...the stock exhaust is just WAYYYYY too quiet. It sucks having this big 5.0 engine in there, and yet, sounds like a Civic with a fartcan would be louder. I came from a 2v GT with exhaust done to it, and it was just LOUD. Everywhere I went. This car is just timid. I know this engine will never sound as good as the 4.6 or classic 5.0, but form two exhaust I've heard about, Roush sounds excellent and the Flowmaster Americna Thunder sounds good. Does anyone have experience with these two systems? If not, what would be your preference? I want to purchase one of these two exhausts soon.

Rebel302 08-13-2011 05:30 AM

My vote would be for the Flowmasters. I just prefer their sound. I have them on my '11 GT. Sounds good under part & full throttle. JMHO.

wproctor411 08-13-2011 06:50 AM

I have hushpower with BBK long tubes and ORxpipe. It's civil at normal driving but now has a great rumble and crazy insane at wot. I will try to get a video made up. Sick....just sick. The LT and Xpipe made the car sound more like a race car....

alan0614 08-13-2011 07:35 AM

I have the Roush and couldn't be happier. No drone, quiet at highway speeds, nice, deep, throaty rumble around town and attention getting under WOT takeoffs.

Maraman 08-13-2011 08:52 AM

my friend has an 11 5.0 with the flowmaster hushpowers, it is quieter than my car, in fact i cant even hear his when im driving next to him. go on youtube and check out SLP Loudmouth axlebacks, and check out the magnaflow off road X pipe, or magnaflow catback exhaust.

alan0614 08-13-2011 11:36 AM

Listening to the different mufflers in person is the only way to really know what sound you like. Some don't like the Roush, others do. I have heard the Borla, GT500 and Pypes. Like my Roush they are all different. I would suggest going to a show and asking drivers to let you listen to their cars. That's what I did and it led me to the Roush. But again, it is personal preference.

NaplesFL11GT 08-13-2011 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by alan0614 (Post 7653200)
I have the Roush and couldn't be happier. No drone, quiet at highway speeds, nice, deep, throaty rumble around town and attention getting under WOT takeoffs.

+1 what Alan said. You wont be sorry with the Roushs.

keoni1984 08-14-2011 10:01 PM

I love the Roush axle backs on my 5.0, I get compliments on it all the time! I'm looking at adding a Magnaflow O/R x-pipe, but I'm worried it might be TOO loud...

Phantomx2 08-22-2011 10:02 AM

if those r your 2 choices I say with the Roush its got a real nice deep tone. I dont know how loud or expensive you want to go but I recently heard the Borla and love it but it was really expensive when I was thinking about buying it for my car.

redrader26 09-01-2011 08:39 PM

I just purchased the Roush exhaust from American Muscle (on sale $$) and can't wait. I'll post how I like them once i get them delivered installed but i'm sure they will be great!