Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Oil separator for stock 5.0?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 11:01 PM
Spanx

Default Oil separator for stock 5.0?

I have seen a few people that have oil separators on stock 5.0 so I called a local shop in town to order one and have them put it on. They told me I didn't need one unless I was going to use a super charger and it would only be for looks. Does anyone running an oil separator on a stock 5.0 catch any oil in thier separators, and are they right the you only need a separator if you have a supercharger?
Old 09-10-2011, 12:27 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

They actually catch oil, in a thousand miles or do, people have reported their oil catch cans catching as much as a table spoon of oil. And this is on NA cars, no FI at all.

That of course is oil that would otherwise contaminate the fresh fuel air charge and also add to air pollution. For you, the power loss might be minimal, but over time, oil could build up on your plugs, contribute to carbon buildup in the cylinders, get into the cats and raise their temps which could eventually lead to melting the cat elements, and other possible bad stuff.
These are just some things off the top of my head, but I could be wrong.

Anyone else more knowledgeable of what oil contamination does when it enters the combustion chamber, please chime in.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:25 AM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
They actually catch oil, in a thousand miles or do, people have reported their oil catch cans catching as much as a table spoon of oil. And this is on NA cars, no FI at all.

That of course is oil that would otherwise contaminate the fresh fuel air charge and also add to air pollution. For you, the power loss might be minimal, but over time, oil could build up on your plugs, contribute to carbon buildup in the cylinders, get into the cats and raise their temps which could eventually lead to melting the cat elements, and other possible bad stuff.
These are just some things off the top of my head, but I could be wrong.

Anyone else more knowledgeable of what oil contamination does when it enters the combustion chamber, please chime in.
You're right. I have a v6 and just installed one as well. I was replacing my throttle body with a ported one and noticed a few drops of oil on it and some black residue. I only have 20k miles and didn't think it would be that grimey. So I decided to get one and found a decent AMP unit on eBay for less than $90. I also read something that said it would help with the octane as well since you are reducing some of the contaminants going back into the system.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:10 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I looked at the JLT ones and I so far only found passenger side kits. I guess because the Coyote spews out the most oil on that side. Is there a kit for the driver side too?
Old 09-10-2011, 06:58 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Not sure. I put mine on the passenger side as well. That's where all the damn oil is pushing out. I inspected the drivers side tubing and intake - she's dry and clean, so no need for one on the drivers side.

I edited this to denote that mine is a v6. I don't want to mislead anyone since this was posted in the 5.0 section.

Last edited by kzonts; 09-10-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:19 AM
FourCam

On JLT's page for their oil separator, they mention: "Most of the oil will come from the passenger side, so if only getting one, this is the one to get!". Anyone know why most of it comes from the passenger side?
Old 09-12-2011, 01:54 PM
Norse1974
3rd Gear Member

I could be wrong but Im willing to say it's due to the vaccum of the motor. The way its designed in essance. Anyone who knows better please chime in.

Originally Posted by FourCam
On JLT's page for their oil separator, they mention: "Most of the oil will come from the passenger side, so if only getting one, this is the one to get!". Anyone know why most of it comes from the passenger side?
Old 09-12-2011, 02:23 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norse1974
I could be wrong but Im willing to say it's due to the vaccum of the motor. The way its designed in essance. Anyone who knows better please chime in.
That is correct. Since the driver side tube connects farther away from the throttle body/intake manifold (vacuum source) it has less vacuum pull on it than the passengers side tube which is closer to the throttle body. There is a minor but functional pressure loss across the intake that causes this to happen.
The same thing occurs on S/C vehicles, but the vacuum increase is great enough to pull oil on both sides, eliminating any real flow between the drivers and passengers side PVC vents.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:47 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norse1974
the way a PCV system works is: one side pushes air out, the other sucks air in. a closed loop system.
thats why you only need one side.
to check which side you put it on, look inside each of the lines. whichever side has the oil, thats where you put the separator.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:44 AM
Norse1974
3rd Gear Member

Glad to see my common sense has prevailed,lol.

Quick Reply: Oil separator for stock 5.0?