MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L V8 Technical Discussions (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-v8-technical-discussions-137/)
-   -   *New Owner* Questions on new 2012 5.0 (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-v8-technical-discussions/653314-new-owner-questions-on-new-2012-5-0-a.html)

jonnyboy91 09-16-2011 04:36 PM

*New Owner* Questions on new 2012 5.0

Hello Everyone, I'm new to the forum but have been lurking for months. Recently bought a 2012 GT Premium and couldn't be happier. I just had a quick question. I purchased an automatic (hopefully I won't get flamed) :icon_eek: and I've noticed when the gears switch from first to second it doesn't seem very smooth. It also doesn't sound right, like it may be switching prematurely. For example when I first take off from a stop light or am just cruising in a residential area. I'm 20 years old and this is my first car I've purchased on my own, I admittedly don't know a lot about cars but hope to learn. So I was just wondering if this was normal with such a big V8 or if something may be wrong with my transmission. I drove a truck before I purchased my baby, so I'm still getting used to it and trying to learn as much as possible. Sorry for the long post about nothing but hopefully I can get some responses. Thanks in advance :icon_biggrin:

whi26828 09-16-2011 06:16 PM

You probably have the stock rear end with 3.15:1 gears. I have a similar issue with my 2011. I have my 3.55:1 gears ordered and am sure that will fix my problem.

If you don't get new gears, there is nothing wrong with the car, that is just the way it is set up stock from the factory.

hawkeye18 09-16-2011 08:37 PM

The automatic is tuned for max fuel efficiency from the factory. It will upshift as soon as possible, as often as possible. It's annoying, but that's the name of the game thanks to CAFE.

A tuner will fix that right up.

UPRSharad 09-16-2011 10:50 PM

Without a doubt, a tuner will fix the craziness in the factory engine & tranny tune. (and add 30+ hp!!)

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-s...ackage-11.html

Thrashard340 09-18-2011 04:16 PM

Also, keep in mind that these new motors are upwards of 400 HP so shifts may be a little rough.

No shame in buying an auto. I strongly considered one myself.

Mishri 09-19-2011 04:08 PM

yep, shifting is a bit rough because of the nature of the car, high hp not a lot of sound deadening for weight savings. and you might hear some clunking from slop in the driveline or drivetrain or whatever... it's not a problem.

tuner might help. you can adjust the shift firmness.

3.55s vs 3.15s I dont think you'll notice much of a difference.. should have gone for 4.10s like me ;)

jonnyboy91 09-19-2011 04:33 PM

Thank you so much everyone for the responses! I felt like I was just being paranoid but now its confirmed haha. :icon_goofygrin:

Pete_Rockett 09-23-2011 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mishri (Post 7692389)
yep, shifting is a bit rough because of the nature of the car, high hp not a lot of sound deadening for weight savings. and you might hear some clunking from slop in the driveline or drivetrain or whatever... it's not a problem.

tuner might help. you can adjust the shift firmness.

3.55s vs 3.15s I dont think you'll notice much of a difference.. should have gone for 4.10s like me ;)

With 4.10's how usable is 1st gear in your auto? Seems like it would be a stump puller up to about 10mph!:icon_mrgreen:

I ask because I am considering changing gears in mine and am thinking 3.73, but 4.10 might be a possibility too.

Thanks!

Mishri 09-23-2011 12:12 PM

well, i cant floor it in first on the street with the stock tires, i haven't had any chances to try it with my drag radials. But I also couldn't floor it in first before the gears either. I lost about 5mpg on the hwy, down to 20mpg. in town mileage went up about 2-3mpg, so both in town and hwy are 20mpg now. I got the gears for drag racing and with my drag radials i'm sure i'll get traction at the track. 1st really isn't a whole lot shorter, but 2nd-4th are pretty short, 2 and 3 goes by in a blink.

bottom line 0-10mph before and after the gears had to be taken easy, afterwards its ok to floor it.. sort of, i keep traction control on because i dont want to wind up sideways going into 2nd or even 3rd. new wider street rims/tires will likely be my next mod.

4.10s might be a per-person type of deal, you might not like them but I do. On the other hand I haven't heard anyone say they got 4.10s and had to go down to 3.73s. On other forums other people have 4.10s in their 2011+ GTs, w/o complaints. My Mustang is my only car, so I do drive it in the winter, but for work I have a company car so it isn't exactly a DD, but if i want to go anywhere after work or on the weekends I have to drive it, even through the snow. I don't expect it to be any worse than my 2007 GT auto was with cai/tune/udp/cmdp/4.10s.

Pete_Rockett 09-23-2011 12:23 PM

With stock gears I am passing 110 at the end of the quarter still in 3rd gear. 3.15 just doesn't cut it.