Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Flowmaster Hushpower compared to Roush Axleback

Old 09-08-2011, 07:56 PM
abguy

Default Flowmaster Hushpower compared to Roush Axleback

Hi all, new member here. I just recently picked up a 2011 GT 6manual 3.73 gears with 3k miles on it. It has the flowmaster hushpower axleback on it already. I love the deep rumble at low rpm and muscular sound at high rpm, but it is not as loud as I would like. The roush axleback mufflers seem to have a lot of positive comments on here, has anyone had both exhausts on their car? It is so hard to determine anything from youtube clips. I don't want a higher pitched raspy sound, just a louder sound that is still muscular. Thanks for any help
Old 09-12-2011, 07:16 AM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

There are several threads on this, here is a recent one.
https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...xle-backs.html

I listened to a ton of clips online, they do nothing to tell you what you want to know (in my opinion). Listening to them live is the only way. Check out a car show, that is what I did, heard the Roush and loved them. But it is all a matter of preference, what some swear by others swear at.

Good luck, be patient and you will find what you want.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:26 AM
Napoleon85
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by abguy
Hi all, new member here. I just recently picked up a 2011 GT 6manual 3.73 gears with 3k miles on it. It has the flowmaster hushpower axleback on it already. I love the deep rumble at low rpm and muscular sound at high rpm, but it is not as loud as I would like. The roush axleback mufflers seem to have a lot of positive comments on here, has anyone had both exhausts on their car? It is so hard to determine anything from youtube clips. I don't want a higher pitched raspy sound, just a louder sound that is still muscular. Thanks for any help
I have them on my cars, and have posted videos multiple times. Based on what you said above the Roush would be perfect for you. They are tame at idle and under light throttle, but when you lay into it they really make some noise ... and it's a good deep muscle car noise, not some raspy tingy bull****.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:25 PM
wproctor411
1st Gear Member

Do you plan on adding Long Tube Headers or an off-road X-pipe in the future? If you buy the Roush A/B now, save the Hushpowers for later. I have a full free-flowing exhaust and the LT's made the car loud as hell even with the Hushpowers at full throttle it's crazy. At idle and normal driving speeds it's perfect and you can listen to the radio or talk on the phone without insanity. I also have a set of 3" stianless steel axel-back straight pipes I had made at a local shop since the Hushpowers started to show some rust underneath...here are some pics:

Old 09-24-2011, 08:03 AM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

SLP Loudmouths, search for exhaust clips on youtube
Old 09-25-2011, 06:59 AM
wproctor411
1st Gear Member

SLP are nice and are full stainless. I like the hushpowers but the rust is BS considering the price paid.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:02 AM
abguy

Thanks for the feedback! I went with the Roush Axlebacks and am very happy. I must say the flowmaster's were a little deeper at idle. However, the Roush sound fabulous at all RPMs. With the huspower, they really seemed muted in the midrange. The roush are nice and quiet at low rpm and steady crusing, but anytime you get on it they are there and nice and throaty. For the money, really can't be it!
Old 09-25-2011, 09:05 AM
NaplesFL11GT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by abguy
Thanks for the feedback! I went with the Roush Axlebacks and am very happy. I must say the flowmaster's were a little deeper at idle. However, the Roush sound fabulous at all RPMs. With the huspower, they really seemed muted in the midrange. The roush are nice and quiet at low rpm and steady crusing, but anytime you get on it they are there and nice and throaty. For the money, really can't be it!
Glad to hear you made the right choice. I was up in the air too about buying the Roush or the Flowmasters. Once I heard that the Roushs have no drone, that was the one for me.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:02 PM
GrayGhost01GT
4th Gear Member

I have the roush Axle Backs and love them, before that I had the Magnaflow straight thru axle backs which sounded great also, but they where a little too loud for my liking at HWY speeds! I say get the Roush AB's and never look back, plus no drone is awesome!!
Old 09-26-2011, 08:55 AM
Muzner
1st Gear Member

I listened to a lot of different clips, and picked the Roush. I think they sound the best, and I really appreciate them not having any drone.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Flowmaster Hushpower compared to Roush Axleback