Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Installed....Alum. DS, LCA's, UCA, etc.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:44 AM
dg98gt
2nd Gear Member

Default Installed....Alum. DS, LCA's, UCA, etc.

Well, after finally getting some time off of work, I had time to install some of the parts that have been sitting in the garage for a few weeks now!

Installed:
1) shaftmasters 3.5" aluminum driveshaft
2) BMR on-car adjustable panhard rod
3) BMR panhard brace
4) BMR lower control arm relocation bracket
5) BBR billet lower control arms
6) BMR upper control arm mount
7) BMR adjustable upper control arm

Still needing installed:
1) Roush Lowering springs
2) Forgestar F14 wheels with Hankook Ventus V12 tires 295 front 255 rear
3) 3.73 FRPP gears with Royal Purple Lube and TA Performance Cover

I didn't want to lower the car just yet until I got the chance to make sure the driveshaft was balanced good. So far so good, so hopefully this weekend I will get the lowering springs on and adjust pinion angle one last time. Also, the wheels should be here Wed, so they should be on too!

Reviews:

1) Shaftmasters D.S. This piece is beautiful and Dave @ SM is awesome! No vibration or noise whatsoever. I am very pleased with the performance so far.

2) BMR and BBR stuff. Very nice solid pieces as well! I heard some creaking noises for about 30 minutes (only very slight with windows up and radio off), but since then all is quiet. I can't believe how much more planted the car feels on take-off! I need this stuff for the '98 after seeing how much more traction it gets you. I've got the LCA's on the lowest hole for the relocation bracket. Should be perfect when I lower the car with the Roush Springs.

I also put brushed POR-15 on the axle because it was rusted like crazy.

-Derrick
Old 10-24-2011, 10:15 AM
Napoleon85
2nd Gear Member

Where did you get your parts? Any tips/tricks for installation? I plan on doing most of these mods as well and I've been looking at the BBR parts ... any reason you chose BMR over BBR for some of the pieces?
Old 10-24-2011, 11:30 AM
dg98gt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Napoleon85
Where did you get your parts? Any tips/tricks for installation? I plan on doing most of these mods as well and I've been looking at the BBR parts ... any reason you chose BMR over BBR for some of the pieces?
Definitely only do 1 lower control arm at a time. I disconnected both, and it was a nightmare getting the new ones to line back up with the holes again. It states that in the directions, but I skimmed over it. Directions for all those parts were thorough, just follow them.

Some time-saving tips below!!

For the Upper Control Arm Mount, you have to remove the rear seat. If you move the front seats all the way forward, then step in the back floorboards, you can reach up under the seat cushion in the middle of both the passanger and drivers back seats and find a push level. Push both in and it will release the bottom rear seat as a whole piece. Pull straight and and towards the front of the car and it comes out pretty easy. Be prepared for a lot of muscle to take out the 24mm bolt under the seat.....it's friggin' tight!

I jacked the car up from the center diff high enough to slide ramps under the rear tires. Then I let the tires down on the ramp and jacked around the car as needed to gain access to the upper or front of the driveshaft.

For the driveshaft, I found it easiest to remove the rear passenger muffler and passanger side of cat-back pipe (h-pipe to muffler section). This makes it much easier to manuever around and torque the bolts for the driveshaft and getting the old 2-piece out was impossible for me without removing this section of the exhaust.

Any specific questions when you get to a stuck point, just PM me and i'll respond as fast as possible!

-Derrick
Old 10-24-2011, 11:32 AM
dg98gt
2nd Gear Member

I probably would have gotten all BMR stuff because I kind of wanted matching components for ease of assembly and fit concerns. Also, its best because then if you have a problem, one guy isn't blaming it on another's guys parts! I just loved the look of the BBR billet lowers that I couldn't resist!
Old 10-24-2011, 12:02 PM
Napoleon85
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dg98gt
I probably would have gotten all BMR stuff because I kind of wanted matching components for ease of assembly and fit concerns. Also, its best because then if you have a problem, one guy isn't blaming it on another's guys parts! I just loved the look of the BBR billet lowers that I couldn't resist!
That is why I've been thinking of getting all the BBR parts. They sell everything I need/want and have some extremely helpful people on staff. I know BMR and UPR make most/all of the stuff too, I just don't know much about the quality/fitment of any of these three.

With any luck I'll be doing some/all of this over the winter/early spring months since the stang will be garaged, but it depends if I decide to get headers or not. If I get headers, my budget is going to be pretty shot, but the BBR O/R x-pipe is only $289 and would leave me with some funding for other mods while still giving respectable gains.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:56 PM
dg98gt
2nd Gear Member

That is why I've been thinking of getting all the BBR parts. They sell everything I need/want and have some extremely helpful people on staff. I know BMR and UPR make most/all of the stuff too, I just don't know much about the quality/fitment of any of these three.

With any luck I'll be doing some/all of this over the winter/early spring months since the stang will be garaged, but it depends if I decide to get headers or not. If I get headers, my budget is going to be pretty shot, but the BBR O/R x-pipe is only $289 and would leave me with some funding for other mods while still giving respectable gains.
I bought almost all of the BMR stuff through Steve at BBR! Great Customer service!
Old 10-24-2011, 10:33 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

I guess you could say I'm biased, but I have UPR Products suspension on my S197 and it is NICE! (looks good & works well) Also our suspension has a lifetime guarantee, and mustangforums members get a 10% discount on our web store. Win, win, and win!!
Old 10-24-2011, 10:46 PM
Napoleon85
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
I guess you could say I'm biased, but I have UPR Products suspension on my S197 and it is NICE! (looks good & works well) Also our suspension has a lifetime guarantee, and mustangforums members get a 10% discount on our web store. Win, win, and win!!
Maybe you can help me out then. Suspension isn't exactly my strong suite, and I'm having a hard time figuring out what parts would be best for my goals.

My primary goal for the car is on the street, but I do plan on occasional trips to the drag strip, perhaps even a road course here and there if the mood strikes me. I'd like to eventually be into the low 12s/high 11s at the strip (I understand I'll need tires and such to reach this goal). For this application, would it be worthwhile to invest in any of the adjustable parts (especially since I have NO IDEA how to adjust them lol) or would the fixed control arms be sufficient?

I will probably be lowering the car, so I'll need to get relocation brackets and the adjustable panhard bar at that point in time but I don't plan to install them now unless there is a really good reason to do so.

I like this kit but I have to wonder why you didn't include the upper LCA mount, and don't appear to sell it separately?

Feel free to reply via PM if you feel this is too far off topic from the original thread.

Thanks!
Old 10-25-2011, 03:21 PM
2011BlackRTR

Hey, dg98gt, did you notice any increase in noise from the rear? Like gear whine or general road noise? I sure did! Still investigating though...
Old 10-26-2011, 06:36 AM
dg98gt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2011BlackRTR
Hey, dg98gt, did you notice any increase in noise from the rear? Like gear whine or general road noise? I sure did! Still investigating though...
If there was an increase......it is only very very slight! I am very happy with the way the car "plants" now! I noticed more noise after the barton shifter install, and that was very very minor.

-Derrick

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installed....Alum. DS, LCA's, UCA, etc.