Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Hard start this morning and loud knocking

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 10:48 PM
wesslvm
1st Gear Member

Default Hard start this morning and loud knocking

So, the 5.0 sat for about 4 days without driving it. This morning I went to start the car (about 40 degrees), started but ran VERY rough and I heard a very noticeable knocking noise, somewhat like a collapsing lifter. I shut it off and tried again with similar results. I waited a minute or so and tried again and this time the engine came up to normal post start high idle but the noise continued. I let it idle and slowly the noise disappeared.

On some cold days in the past I've noticed a knocking noise more from the transmission area that disappears quickly. This was different.

I drove the car the rest of the day on several local errands and it did not recur and ran as good as ever.

Anybody else seen this? Any concerns?

Wes
Old 11-01-2011, 10:57 PM
rollin9208gt

I'm no expert, but this doesn't sound like a major problem. Especially since it warmed up and drove (sounded) fine the rest of the day.

It hasn't gotten that cold here (yet) for me to know if mine will do this. I would assume that once the oil gets hot enough to start circulating, the engine parts get the lubrication they need.

Of course, you can always take it to the dealer and have it checked out, I know you have a warranty.

Good luck, I hope it's nothing major.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:25 AM
wproctor411
1st Gear Member

Do you have an offroad X or H pipe?
Old 11-03-2011, 05:46 PM
thelastsumurai

Yea it's a problem.. that F**king Knocking you are hearing are your rod bearings banging on your crank shaft.. Do you have a Ford filter on your car? The only time I have seen this is when oil filters failed and let oil drain back into the oil pan.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:01 PM
wproctor411
1st Gear Member

Wow....that would suck. OP may want more info if anyone has any. Didnt know if he may have had a backfire through an O/R exhaust.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:54 AM
wesslvm
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wproctor411
Do you have an offroad X or H pipe?
No, car is stock
Old 11-04-2011, 06:39 AM
wproctor411
1st Gear Member

Thought about new filter and oil? See lastsamuri's post above. If your car is stock go to dealer ASAP.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:27 AM
thelastsumurai

Thought about new filter and oil? See lastsamuri's post above. If your car is stock go to dealer ASAP.
Just put a new Ford oil filter on and top off your oil.. and see if the problem goes away or continues... Then get back to us asap...
Old 11-05-2011, 04:38 AM
wproctor411
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by thelastsumurai
Just put a new Ford oil filter on and top off your oil.. and see if the problem goes away or continues... Then get back to us asap...
Are the Fram filters okay? I've always used them but have never thought about OEM.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:03 AM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Are the Fram filters okay? I've always used them but have never thought about OEM.
I've personally have never had an issue with them, however, they're not very high quality filters. WIX makes the best filters on the market. Yes, they're more expensive but they're worth it.

As for your knocking noise, what weight oil do you have in the engine? It almost sounds like a low oil pressure situation.

Try changing your oil, use a WIX filter and some Castrol Syntec. Syntec is better than your regular name brand synthetics, including mobil 1. It performs almost as well as Redline, or Royal purple, but costs ~$4/qt. less.

Quick Reply: Hard start this morning and loud knocking