Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Fuel Gauge went from quater full to dead empty with 5 miles left?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 01:18 AM
Karnage541
1st Gear Member

Default Fuel Gauge went from quater full to dead empty with 5 miles left?

So the other night I was sitting in my car, with the car on, talking to some of my friends. I look at the odometer to check how many miles I have on the car then I see it saying that I have 57 miles to empty (Which is wierd because it usually starts with 50). Anyway, I didnt think anything of it because it was around a quater full which is uaually when I get the chime to fill up (It didnt chime this time tho). Then 10 mins later I hear the chime so I look at my cluster and the fuel gauge is light up red the needle is dead bottom and it says I only have 3 miles till empty. I shut the car off then turned it back on about another 10 mins later and it says 5 miles left this time.

So I went to the gas station to fill up. I turned the car off but kept the battery on to see what the gauge would do. Sure enough, it jumped from dead bottom back up to a quater full. Usually it cost me in the 40's to fill up but this time it was $37. I heard this problem with the sensor on one side of the fuel tank going bad but wouldnt that make it drop at half empty and not at a quater? And if it just went bad at that very moment shouldnt it have jumped up to half full when I filled up and not back to a quater?

Has this happened to anyone else? Im a bit confused about this. And luckly I was close by a gas station at the time too. It ruined my night because I was gonna hang out with some sexy girls lol, not to mention the gas station attendant spilt gas all over the side of my car (NJ laws so I cant fill up myself). So I had to wash down around the gas cap at 3 in the morning. Im gonna run it to quater empty again and see what happens. Hopefully it wont happen again.

I really dont want to go to the dealership just yet but if it happens again I will. I have a few other problems ill have them check out while its there anyway. I was dumb and forgot check how many gallons it took to fill up too.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:41 AM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

Hope you get it all worked out, dont worry there will be more sexy girls for a guy in a stang.

PS. that is lame cant fill up your own car, im sure you were charged for the gas on the side of your car/ground.
I worked at a gas station for 4 or so months, glad we only did self service. Would have totally sucked having to go outside in below freezing weather, especially on christmas morning
Old 11-21-2011, 11:27 AM
Karnage541
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lem-06
Hope you get it all worked out, dont worry there will be more sexy girls for a guy in a stang.

PS. that is lame cant fill up your own car, im sure you were charged for the gas on the side of your car/ground.
I worked at a gas station for 4 or so months, glad we only did self service. Would have totally sucked having to go outside in below freezing weather, especially on christmas morning
I posted this in another fourm and they said that I have to send it in to the dealer. Theres a tsb for the sending unit. Its not the first time theyve done it. Usually it happens when the pump stops at like $36.15 for example. They always want to fill it all the way up to an even $37 which usually causes the spill over. It gets super annoying but its the best gas station in town. Its especially annoying when it happens right after a nice wash and wax!
Old 11-21-2011, 03:36 PM
Napoleon85
2nd Gear Member

I was just about to chime in that I believe there is a TSB on this. Good luck with getting it fixed, I would have the TSB printed out when you go up there so they can't say "nothing is wrong" with it.

That really sucks that you can't pump your own gas ... what kinda crazy law is that? I swear we lose more of our freedom every day.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:09 PM
mph07alloy
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Karnage541
So the other night I was sitting in my car, with the car on, talking to some of my friends. I look at the odometer to check how many miles I have on the car then I see it saying that I have 57 miles to empty (Which is wierd because it usually starts with 50). Anyway, I didnt think anything of it because it was around a quater full which is uaually when I get the chime to fill up (It didnt chime this time tho). Then 10 mins later I hear the chime so I look at my cluster and the fuel gauge is light up red the needle is dead bottom and it says I only have 3 miles till empty. I shut the car off then turned it back on about another 10 mins later and it says 5 miles left this time.

So I went to the gas station to fill up. I turned the car off but kept the battery on to see what the gauge would do. Sure enough, it jumped from dead bottom back up to a quater full. Usually it cost me in the 40's to fill up but this time it was $37. I heard this problem with the sensor on one side of the fuel tank going bad but wouldnt that make it drop at half empty and not at a quater? And if it just went bad at that very moment shouldnt it have jumped up to half full when I filled up and not back to a quater?

Has this happened to anyone else? Im a bit confused about this. And luckly I was close by a gas station at the time too. It ruined my night because I was gonna hang out with some sexy girls lol, not to mention the gas station attendant spilt gas all over the side of my car (NJ laws so I cant fill up myself). So I had to wash down around the gas cap at 3 in the morning. Im gonna run it to quater empty again and see what happens. Hopefully it wont happen again.

I really dont want to go to the dealership just yet but if it happens again I will. I have a few other problems ill have them check out while its there anyway. I was dumb and forgot check how many gallons it took to fill up too.
I had something like this happen to me last weekend. My needle was showing about half a tank, traveling in the middle of no where in east Texas, I hear the alert chime and I look down and it shows 3 miles til empty and the needle is below the E. Had no idea where the next gas station was.......made it to a station, filled up and it only held 8 gallons. Drove about another 150 miles and it did it again, then I got a "check fuel filler inlet" warning on the display. When I got home I did notice a lot of spilled gas around the fuel inlet so I took a towel with windex and cleaned it off real good and the warning hasn't come on again. I've filled up twice since then and haven't had the gauge drop to below empty again like it did that day. I'm kind of holding out to see if it does it again before I take it to the dealer
Old 11-21-2011, 05:06 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

These saddle tanks are kind of retarded for the above reasons, they are prone to these kinds of misread errors all too often. For me, I luckily haven't had this kind of situation happen before, but often times I find that the first quarter tank will seem to take a LONG time to burn through, maybe 100 miles, then the middle half zooms away in maybe 100, then the last quarter again takes another 100 or more. Doesn't make sense lol. I've learned to live with it but it's not very reassuring.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:08 PM
grnbayfan
2nd Gear Member

for this reason i dont go by the miles to empty reading alone. i use the trip meter to see how many miles i have gone. i know generally about how many miles i get to a tank and i fill it up then.