Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Ford is getting tough on warranty for mod cars

Old 11-22-2011, 10:14 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
On top of what I posted I agree to the upmost in saying,
If you mod do not FRAUD by being dishonest.

You expect Ford to keep their word, their warranty when they should, well....
the door swings the other way too.
If you expect honesty and trustworthiness practice it YOURSELF.
^^^That's the way business is conducted...Try paying cash in a dealership and they'll rape you....f**k the high morals!!

I had 2 gt's in the past and both were modified with headers, pullies, exhaust CAI, tune & the other with a Chip(foxbody). I blew the tranny in one and the rear end in the other. Ford fixed both with no questions asked. They could of easily stated those mods broke the parts but, they didn't. I guess it depends on the dealership.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:33 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Wow. I think those people who are in here telling people to suck it up never had to go in for warranty work. Ford is exceptional at bad customer service when it involves customers who have modifications of any kind to their vehicles. It's not a matter of people trying to bring fraud towards Ford and have them fix something they ****ed up, granted I'm sure that's possible and might result in like .00002 of the time. Though the majority of the time it's Ford not wanting to fix their faulty product. Fuel pumps were notorious for going out in the earlier 05+. Is any of that your mods fault? Probably not, it's a common sense thing again. Though I have also had the engine/transmission separator issue and one dealer saw I had an intake/tune and said it was engine ping... Without even diagnosing the problem they just pointed fingers. People just don't want to do their job. Took it to another dealer, they loosened the trans/engine, stuck a piece of rubber inbetween as stated in the TSB and sure enough the problem went away. A couple days later the new plate was in and haven't had the problem since.

So for anyone who sits there and backs Ford up, you're just plain outright stupid. Ford should be backing their product up, and use common sense when refusing warranty work, not just because they see you have an axle-back exhaust or a tune, or whatever. Mustang wouldn't have made it this far if it wasn't for the large aftermarket support, it is what keeps the product alive.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:14 AM
flash gordon
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Menace
Wow. I think those people who are in here telling people to suck it up never had to go in for warranty work. Ford is exceptional at bad customer service when it involves customers who have modifications of any kind to their vehicles. It's not a matter of people trying to bring fraud towards Ford and have them fix something they ****ed up, granted I'm sure that's possible and might result in like .00002 of the time. Though the majority of the time it's Ford not wanting to fix their faulty product. Fuel pumps were notorious for going out in the earlier 05+. Is any of that your mods fault? Probably not, it's a common sense thing again. Though I have also had the engine/transmission separator issue and one dealer saw I had an intake/tune and said it was engine ping... Without even diagnosing the problem they just pointed fingers. People just don't want to do their job. Took it to another dealer, they loosened the trans/engine, stuck a piece of rubber inbetween as stated in the TSB and sure enough the problem went away. A couple days later the new plate was in and haven't had the problem since.

So for anyone who sits there and backs Ford up, you're just plain outright stupid. Ford should be backing their product up, and use common sense when refusing warranty work, not just because they see you have an axle-back exhaust or a tune, or whatever. Mustang wouldn't have made it this far if it wasn't for the large aftermarket support, it is what keeps the product alive.
+1! If you mod your car to 550hp and your engine blew, don't expect Ford to fix it free. But, like the man said, you had a CAI and a set of mufflers, Ford dealers would try to deny your warranty. He is absolutely right about the popularity of Mustang is due to the huge aftermarket products and the owners's enthusiasm.

My point is the stealers have to be prudent and use good judgement, but many of them don't. The reason I started this thread is to warn the members of the Ford's new stand on mod. I only have an intake and a set of GT500 mufflers, and that's all I plan to mod. But I would bet my bottom dollar that Ford stealer would try to deny my warranty claim just based these mod that I have, and I have the means and resources to fight it when the time comes!
Old 11-23-2011, 10:11 AM
TheYeti
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
True by law but untrue in the real world.
The only time they have to prove it is if you take them to court.
Otherwise they void the warranty without taking the time to prove it.
This is something people concerned with their warranties would be WISE to remember.

Being as it would be so expensive to take them to court, they hold the ball in reality as far as that is concerned.
yep...I know the real world is different...I was just going by what the law stated.

And i agree with most of the posters in here...if you run a CAI/Tune then its the risk you run. There is a reason that Ford offers its own CAI/Tune and is backed by their own warranty. It might be not as aggressive but at least you get a warranty with it.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:37 PM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

Ford's stance on mods is not new. This was known several months ago.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:51 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

And for those that say "put the car back to stock with the stock tune" the dealer can see what you did The PCM keeps record of all that stuff.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:55 AM
devildog1679
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
And for those that say "put the car back to stock with the stock tune" the dealer can see what you did The PCM keeps record of all that stuff.
Not if you have a second PCM and swap prior to going in to the dealer.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:48 AM
thelastsumurai

Originally Posted by Nuke
I believe the concern here is that some folks (wrongly) believe that Ford would deny you warranty work for, say, a defective master brake cylinder, if you came in with a tune.

IMO, to you guys with the panties and skirts: don't mod, period. Leave the modding to the non-wusses.
Yea, I expect to see you crying on here pretty soon as soon as you get caught. You are the wuss you talk **** on line, if you looked me in the eyes you'd probably **** yourself. That being said, If you mod your cars out of warrantee tough ****.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:55 AM
thelastsumurai

Originally Posted by daredevil95
^^^That's the way business is conducted...Try paying cash in a dealership and they'll rape you....f**k the high morals!!

I had 2 gt's in the past and both were modified with headers, pullies, exhaust CAI, tune & the other with a Chip(foxbody). I blew the tranny in one and the rear end in the other. Ford fixed both with no questions asked. They could of easily stated those mods broke the parts but, they didn't. I guess it depends on the dealership.
SAD, VERY SAD
Old 11-24-2011, 12:45 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by thelastsumurai
Yea, I expect to see you crying on here pretty soon as soon as you get caught. You are the wuss you talk **** on line, if you looked me in the eyes you'd probably **** yourself. That being said, If you mod your cars out of warrantee tough ****.

You really need to grow some tougher skin as far as getting offended at this type of talk on this forum.

It was sarcasm but with a serious point.
Saying the talks smack online when you are taking things the completely wrong way, and then talking smack back makes you no better than if he REALLY was talking trash, which he was not.

His language was meant as a joke to an extent just pointing out that if you mod in his opinion, you need to be ready to deal with the facts of the way the industry works.

That is common guy car talk, not talking trash.
Again you really are going to have to grow thicker skin and not be
offended by garage language if you want to enjoy... or probably even be
able to stay on this site long.

And saying he would probably **** himself if he saw you in real life.
Give me a freakin' break man.
That comment has about as much credibility as a comment saying
your an honest politician...it means NOTHING.
Furthermore, you have no idea about him in reality either.
Those comments you made were both outright laughable, and
at the same time outrageously childish.

I'm not trying to offend but,
Really man...I mean come on. Ridiculous.

And I'm not trying to get your panties in a wad either lol.
(See the joking but at the same time being serious that I'm not trying to upset anyone? *Hint*, *Hint*.)
You will enjoy this site A LOT more if you know the way he was talking was garage talk and had nothing to do with literally saying...
"HEY YOU YOUR A WUSS IN REAL LIFE AND I CAN BEAT YOU UP!"

So again...I know you are new but "man talk" and "man language" is a term I'm sure you are familiar with.
Just like "locker room talk".

Again... cool your jets some and you will both enjoy this site more and probably end up being able to use it longer
and not get banned for some argument that ends up getting out of hand. Which happens sometimes on all forums.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 11-24-2011 at 12:55 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ford is getting tough on warranty for mod cars