Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Ford is getting tough on warranty for mod cars

Old 11-22-2011, 08:32 AM
flash gordon
2nd Gear Member

Default Ford is getting tough on warranty for mod cars

The new 5.0 is getting many owners to mod the engine. I understand that Ford has told all the dealers to refuse warranty service if the car is found with mod. Ford has a list of service (parts) that qualifies for refusal of warranty service. Heavy tuning is one of them that the dealer can refuse warranty service. If you want warranty service, I would be very careful about heavy modding. I would remove the tune before you take the car in for warranty service. My 0.02.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:21 AM
TheYeti
2nd Gear Member

Most people know that going into a dealer with a tune is not a good idea especially since they can be swapped out so easily.

Either way, the dealer has to prove that the mod caused the failure. With a tune, its pretty easy considering so many things are impacted by a tune.

If you mod, you should understand that you are taking a risk. Thats why I plan on starting off with the visual mods first (i.e. CS style grill, front fascia and boss splitter), then moving to the rousch axel backs and then eventually maybe getting more into the engine.

Honestly, I dont see myself making any engine mods until the car is paid off.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:59 PM
Tvanpool

Default Why?

Originally Posted by flash gordon
The new 5.0 is getting many owners to mod the engine. I understand that Ford has told all the dealers to refuse warranty service if the car is found with mod. Ford has a list of service (parts) that qualifies for refusal of warranty service. Heavy tuning is one of them that the dealer can refuse warranty service. If you want warranty service, I would be very careful about heavy modding. I would remove the tune before you take the car in for warranty service. My 0.02.
Why would you even expect Ford to fix something you fuched up. Is there no integerty left anymore.
I can't think of any manufacturer of any product that would knowingly warranty a failure caused by the user. And if you try to lie about your actions that caused the failure you are a fraud, thief and liar. People who do this are costing the few honest customers a lot of money just like shoplifters at the department store. The manufacturer is going to make a profit or go out of business. And the cost of your dishonesty is just passed on to everyone else.
If you want to modify your car you have every right to do so. but do not expect me to pay for it if it breaks.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:23 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

I DO plan on modifying my new car....that said.....I ALSO plan on clearing any and ALL modifications through the Service Manager at my dealer BEFORE even purchasing the parts. I do know that at my dealership, a lot of the parts I want to install, they will warranty it IF they install it.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:29 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I believe the concern here is that some folks (wrongly) believe that Ford would deny you warranty work for, say, a defective master brake cylinder, if you came in with a tune.

IMO, to you guys with the panties and skirts: don't mod, period. Leave the modding to the non-wusses.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:40 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by TheYeti

Either way, the dealer has to prove that the mod caused the failure.
True by law but untrue in the real world.
The only time they have to prove it is if you take them to court.
Otherwise they void the warranty without taking the time to prove it.
This is something people concerned with their warranties would be WISE to remember.

Being as it would be so expensive to take them to court, they hold the ball in reality as far as that is concerned.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:15 PM
Napoleon85
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
I believe the concern here is that some folks (wrongly) believe that Ford would deny you warranty work for, say, a defective master brake cylinder, if you came in with a tune.

IMO, to you guys with the panties and skirts: don't mod, period. Leave the modding to the non-wusses.
I think that a bigger/more common concern that people have is with the flaky MT-82 and being denied warranty service due to light engine mods. This is not outside of the realm of reason, even though most people would agree that putting a CAI and tune on should not cause major transmission problems.

Other than that, it's pretty much a non-issue. I've modded my car and assume all liability for repairs, probably even some that Ford should do. This is something that I have just come to terms with since it's more effective than having to sue Ford to get your car fixed.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:02 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tvanpool
Why would you even expect Ford to fix something you fuched up. Is there no integerty left anymore.
I can't think of any manufacturer of any product that would knowingly warranty a failure caused by the user. And if you try to lie about your actions that caused the failure you are a fraud, thief and liar. People who do this are costing the few honest customers a lot of money just like shoplifters at the department store. The manufacturer is going to make a profit or go out of business. And the cost of your dishonesty is just passed on to everyone else.
If you want to modify your car you have every right to do so. but do not expect me to pay for it if it breaks.
I agree with newb! If you mod don't cause fraud
Old 11-22-2011, 09:19 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

On top of what I posted I agree to the upmost in saying,
If you mod do not FRAUD by being dishonest.

You expect Ford to keep their word, their warranty when they should, well....
the door swings the other way too.
If you expect honesty and trustworthiness practice it YOURSELF.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:24 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

Truth!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ford is getting tough on warranty for mod cars