Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Barton shifter rattle

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 10:52 AM
Phantomx2
1st Gear Member

Default Barton shifter rattle

I have a manual 2011 mustang gt. I have the Barton shifter and recently I have been driving and hearing the shifter rod rattling. Sometimes I can even see the rod rattling. Barton told me it could be the bolts (which I checked n r tight), drivetrain vibration, n some other things. But took everything apart and everything seems fine but I cannot fix this issue. Has anyone had this issue if so how did u correct?
Old 12-25-2011, 02:06 PM
dominant1
3rd Gear Member

Many have corrected the issue by replacing that shifter with an MGW. If that's not feasible I have no other suggestions other then to try a different underside bracket mount!
Old 12-28-2011, 08:22 PM
Phantomx2
1st Gear Member

I would rather not buy a new shifter but if I have to u was thinking hurst. Anyone else experience the Barton shifter rattle even if they didn't fix it? Or does n e one have the hurst shifter? If so how do u like it n is there n e rattle
Old 12-28-2011, 09:35 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Do some more research on the hurst shifter, I don't remember reading any positive reviews from it, it has an LED light for reverse instead of a proper lockout mechanism.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:16 AM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

Appx how many miles did you have it installed before you started hearing the noise?
Old 12-30-2011, 05:10 AM
Phantomx2
1st Gear Member

I don't remember but there is only 7k miles on the car now. And I did the install this past summer but I do not drive much as you can tell cuz I had the car for about 2 years now. So I would say there is no more than 2k on the shifter (and that's being generous). I believe I figured out what the problem is. The shifter rod vibrates and due to the all metal design and. I rubber gasket or "cushion" you hear metal tapping metal. I currently have the soft "foam" material that comes in a socket wrench box wedged between the metal and this has helped but I was hoping for a more lasting or correct fix.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:35 AM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

I can't believe barton hasn't been more supportive on this issue, have you tried contacting them again? From what I've read sounds like they've been able to solve most peoples noise issues.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:35 PM
Phantomx2
1st Gear Member

No I have not. They said I can send the shifter back to them but I dont think I can go back to the stock shifter after this reduction in throw
Old 01-09-2012, 08:55 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

There was a similiar forum on Mustangsource describing a rattle similiar to yours. I haven't dealt with the Barton too much so I can't give you a full diagnosis.

Check out this post and let me know if this is the same type of issues you are dealing with? If it is, then the Steeda Shifter Base Bushing might be the solution.

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f...g-help-503809/

Is that what you are experiencing or is it deeper than that?

Thanks

TJ
Old 01-15-2012, 08:41 PM
Phantomx2
1st Gear Member

I read that forum twice and did not read about any specfic rattle. Based on how it looks to me the rod it self vibrates causing slight movement. When it moves back and forth you hear metal on metal contact. The design of the Barton shifter is all metal and I feel like the lack of any bushing or "cushion" is why I hear this specific rattle. If I knew the steeda bracket would fix my issue I would buy it in a heart beat but I dont have the money to buy it cuz it might work. That is why I was hoping other people have experienced the same issue as me.

Quick Reply: Barton shifter rattle