Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

New K&N Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 12:53 PM
Will2Iam
1st Gear Member

ITs 56$ for the K&N drop in filter for the 2011 gt. IT does improve performance and gas mileage by a few miles. The performance is nothing to brag about, judging with my but dyno. An aftermarket CAI without the tune offers (at best) a few more hp/tq than K&N but it cost 300$ and up. Using an aftermarket CAI without a tune maybe an issue cause of volume of air your car is getting. A tuner will brings cpu and the aftermarket CAI together.
Bang for the buck the K&N drop in filter is the way to go. But to tame the hp/tq beast within I went with the aftermarket CAI and tune.
I have tried the K&N filter with a Bama tuner. It was ok but not enough quench the thirst.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:28 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

If you believe a K&N drop in filter helped your HP/MPG maybe you should pick up one of these...

your vehicle will put out +/- 20whp depending on weather conditions day to day. If you dyno'd it without SAE correction (which corrects for weather changes) you would see huge jumps in power, and most people dont feel those till they hit the 15-20whp mark... you wont be able to feel a 5hp gain.

Last edited by Mishri; 03-09-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:34 AM
Will2Iam
1st Gear Member

Default Enclosed K&N flter?

That Supercharger looks and sounds interesting Mishi. Its gives 15-20 hp too. Is that dyno proven? If it is thats more than what the exhaust systems are giving. The Supercharger may even install a whole lot easier and cheaper.
It looks like this product installs in the intake tube somewhere and it would casue a whirl wind effect. I'm thinking how will it respond to an aftermarket CAI and tune if I can get it to fit somewhere.

I have tried to google the enclosed K&N filter for 2011 gt. I can't find it. therefore I have no input on the this product.

But I do have questions. Is K&N gonna give us hp/tq gains on this product? Im curious to know what those numbers will be. Will it require a tune? The more air you give your pony the more it will need to be managed. How will it respond to a tune?
If the purchaser isn't planning to use a tune with the new K&N enclosed CAI. The stock air box is already enclosed. If its the filter material that your wanting to use I would get th 56$ dropin filter. Its made of the same material.
There is the matter of circumference of the filter. The bigger the area the more air your car will draw. The hp gains vs $ . Will the extra area be worth the gain without a tune?
The K&N drop in filter did give some performance over the stock filter. You can hear the engine take in more air from inside the car. But I agree with mishi, you aren't going to feel 5 hp.
This just my 2 cents. If the 2 cents doesn't matter, consider it free advice.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:10 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

no that pic i posted was a joke, its called a turbonator, its a scam, causes mpg loss and power loss.. the rest of my comments were about how you cant trust how it feels different because of how much weather effects things and it's hard to feel the difference, most of the time it's in a peron's mind they feel the difference. like a placebo.

http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/bl...-still-a-scam/

to answer your questions, I wouldn't trust K&N's hp/tq gains on their products, go to trustworthy tuner's sites or even Steeda themselves have given good accurate numbers, like they showed that there is no difference in power gains from the JLT, C&L or Steeda intake, to me that shows what a standup company they are to not try to claim better gains than their competition, instead they make a higher quality product (better materials, better looking) at a higher price. K&N has frequently exagerated how much you can gain off their products and I never see a side-by-side comparison with any of the top competitors for them, because all the others make a much better product. K&N lives off it's name and selling their junk in stores like autozone.

I dont see anything other than a drop in filter from K&N on the 11+, for the 05-10 this is the same junk they keep selling:

it's designed to not need a tune, therefore, it doesn't increase airflow in a significant enough amount to even be worth it.. you might see a 5-8hp gain, but why not get a good filter and get 20hp?
Old 03-11-2012, 07:59 AM
Will2Iam
1st Gear Member

Well that one went over my head. Them electric turbos may work for a 4 banger. But I seriously doubt it will work for a V8.
K&N was cheaper. Im glad it was a cheap enough that I get an aftermarket CAI & tune. Proven to get your 2011 GTs into the 11s in the 1/4 with just these mods.