Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Header installation

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 10:03 PM
CrzyHrs
2nd Gear Member

Default Header installation

So I just ordered a set of Kook's long tube headers and I'm curious to know if anyone else has a set and how hard it was to put them on. Me and some buddies plan to install them ourselves. We have a 4 post drive on lift but they said we might need a 2 post lift. Anyone have an answer for this.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:00 AM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Just to give you a heads up, the install is a PAIN IN THE A$$! Its not hard, but takes a lot of time and squeezing your arms.

Heres a video of BBK installing shorty headers. The process is the exact same with any header

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asumZp4Axx4
Old 02-27-2012, 06:43 AM
SSKILLER5.0
2nd Gear Member

It sucks turds. You have to remove the motor mounts drop the engine and remove the steering column. I had to pony up to a shop to get mine done.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:11 AM
cjs06
2nd Gear Member

Longtube headers is a PITA. Make sure you have an empty weekend and a couple of hands to help. A 4 post lift makes things alot easier. Also you will need a transmission jack to lift the transmission and motor up a few inches to remove the motor mounts.

You can do it one of two ways, with or without removing the k-member. I did it without removing the k-member.

Make absolutely sure you soak all the bolts in break-free. There will be situations on the passenger side motor mount where you will be using a breaker bar two extensions and a swivel just to get to a bolt. Crows feet in metric is very useful for the header bolts. Deep-well metric sockets is necessary for the motor mount bolts. Shorty crescent wrenches are also useful. The top header bolts are easiest accessible from the top. The o2 sensor harness rests on-top of the transmission with retainer clips; you can remove these and extend the wire harness without using o2 extensions but you need someone with small hands to reach up on-top of the bell housing. O2 extensions are easier. Use wood directly underneath the end of the bell-housing when lifting the trans and motor.

I completed mine in 18 total hours with two people. Goodluck and don't rush it.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:41 AM
CrzyHrs
2nd Gear Member

Sound's like a headache, a long weekend, and a case or 2 of beer. I hope to have it all here by the end of the week and it all put on by the weekend. I gotta buddy who has a 4 post lift so it's about to be ***** to the wall! Thanks for the info and tips.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:03 PM
SSKILLER5.0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CrzyHrs
Sound's like a headache, a long weekend, and a case or 2 of beer. I hope to have it all here by the end of the week and it all put on by the weekend. I gotta buddy who has a 4 post lift so it's about to be ***** to the wall! Thanks for the info and tips.
If you drink enough beer you can stack them high enough to hold the motor in place when you remove the mounts.