Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Lower Control Arm Relocation

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 07:24 PM
mattaglover

Default Lower Control Arm Relocation

Should I get a lower control arm relocation bracket if I am lowering my car 1-1.5 inches? Im replacing the lower control arms to fix my wheel hop and launch but will it grab better with relocation brackets too or is this a waste?
Old 01-14-2012, 09:25 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Call some of the vendors, most of them are honest and will tell you what you need. Try Chris at AM or one of the steeda reps.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:40 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Yes you should get control arm relocation brackets especially after you have lowered it. The reason being the front of your control arm will now be higher than the rear and you want it level, or parallel with the ground. I use the BMR ones.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:22 PM
csamsh

Did you weld the BMR ones? I saw they said "bolt-in" but I don't know how much I would trust that
Old 02-17-2012, 03:36 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mattaglover
Should I get a lower control arm relocation bracket if I am lowering my car 1-1.5 inches? Im replacing the lower control arms to fix my wheel hop and launch but will it grab better with relocation brackets too or is this a waste?
They are not absolutely necessary. Some of the quickest S197s, yes even lowered ones, do not use them.

At UPR, our 2010 GT runs 9s in the quarter mile without relocation brackets.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:46 AM
thelastsumurai

Get adjustable upper/lower control arms and of course adjustable panhard bar to straighten out the axle for a 1.5 drop. You don't need the relocation bracket
Old 02-21-2012, 04:25 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by thelastsumurai
Get adjustable upper/lower control arms and of course adjustable panhard bar to straighten out the axle for a 1.5 drop. You don't need the relocation bracket
Oh really? You do realize when you lower the car you've changed the angle of the lower control arm, and not for the best.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:30 AM
thelastsumurai

Originally Posted by scottmach
Oh really? You do realize when you lower the car you've changed the angle of the lower control arm, and not for the best.
I think thats what I said. You need adj lower and upper arms for a 1.5 drop.(plus adj PHB) Thats what I did and no wheel hop anymore...Sorry for the confusion

Last edited by thelastsumurai; 02-22-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:16 PM
JimC

I think thats what I said. You need adj lower and upper arms for a 1.5 drop.(plus adj PHB) Thats what I did and no wheel hop anymore...Sorry for the confusion
I think you are confused on the question. The adjustable lower and upper control arms will re-set your pinion angle. They don't do anything though for the change in the relation of the lower control arm to the ground.

When you lower the car what happens is that the front of the arm is now lower than the back where it attaches to the axle. When you launch some of the power is used to push UP on the body as a result instead of pushing the car forward.

The relocation bracket will let you relocate the back of the lower control arm attachment so the arm is now parallel to the ground or maybe at an angle down at the back. That lets you get the power to the ground and moving the car forward instead of pushing the car up.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:35 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

I think you're confused. Show me a pic of your lower control arm and I can show you the problem from the pic.
Originally Posted by JimC
I think you are confused on the question. The adjustable lower and upper control arms will re-set your pinion angle. They don't do anything though for the change in the relation of the lower control arm to the ground.

When you lower the car what happens is that the front of the arm is now lower than the back where it attaches to the axle. When you launch some of the power is used to push UP on the body as a result instead of pushing the car forward.

The relocation bracket will let you relocate the back of the lower control arm attachment so the arm is now parallel to the ground or maybe at an angle down at the back. That lets you get the power to the ground and moving the car forward instead of pushing the car up.
Someone gets it.

Quick Reply: Lower Control Arm Relocation