Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

3.31/3.55/3.73 Rear Axle Ratio?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 05:22 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rios04GT
Oh Really? So you are telling me the other car had less mods than one making 428 at the wheels? here is a video screen shot by the way.

Actually this is very possible.... it seems like the loser was in an automatic... Possibly with the stock 3.15's.

The winner was clearly shifting in a manual.... You see the slight dives at shifts. So with a base GT manual and a 3.31. Yes...you can lay down more power at the sweet rpm bands provided you know when and how to shift.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:34 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Oh Really? So you are telling me the other car had less mods than one making 428 at the wheels? here is a video screen shot by the way.
Yup, I'm in need of a driver mod. Both of us were on the 235 pzeros so its actually easier in a marginally lower HP car to not spin out. I wouldn't start gaining on him until 3rd. Gotta love mobile sites, hence the video not coming through properly.

Yeah, you don't really want to be going trough 6 gears in a quarter mile. Most guys I know with bolt ons just let the car stay in 4th gear instead of shifting to 5th. I guess what I am trying to say is that a bolt on mustang short of a supercharger or turbo can really take advantage of a set of gears 3.73s been the way to go since you can still get descent mileage and keep the revs moderate at freeway speeds. Adding a supercharger or twinturbo, well the power, at the point less gears is probably a better option. My comments were towards the guy comparing cars with bolt ons or stock I am not sure anymore.
Agreed. On street tires having 3.73's from a dig with an FI combo just spins. My intention was to show the 12.7 and 13.2 times are pretty skewed, at least if the other guy (pushinponys on mf, sold the car since that race) was telling the truth about his mods.

Originally Posted by Cruzinaround
Actually this is very possible.... it seems like the loser was in an automatic... Possibly with the stock 3.15's.

The winner was clearly shifting in a manual.... You see the slight dives at shifts. So with a base GT manual and a 3.31. Yes...you can lay down more power at the sweet rpm bands provided you know when and how to shift.
Half wrong, both manuals with 3.31s lol. Hard to have much of a dive when you have to let off during shifting to keep traction. He could drive it a lot better than me. My third trip to the track, and he's going on 10 years. I'm not sure that this track shows ET's on the time slips either, it might just be total time including ET.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:07 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Your point is taken.... Good job.

And still a good run..... Losing to experience.... Is just learning to respect what it brings to the game. learn from it.

And...

Tire selection makes a Big difference to the outcome. If it can't stick to the Tarmac through all the shifts... You can definitely lose even if you have More power.

Last edited by Cruzinaround; 10-29-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:54 PM
Rios04GT
1st Gear Member

No I completely understand....

What you can't understand is in the real world... The 1/4 mile isn't all there is.

And since your buddy already pulls on you...with 3.55's your buddy will roll away on you in every gear and still do it with less gas...therefore more efficient. On the open road...you won't catch him...and in a1/4 mile he'll get there first.

AND...

with open road... He'll still have a higher top speed than you.
he pulls because of what I said, his car makes more power.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:16 PM
Rios04GT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by scottmach
That's not necessarily true. Depending on tire size 3.73's will have you shifting into 5th before the traps. If gears were just the answer then we'd all be throwing in 4.88's.
Well it all depends, gears are the answer for most folks who have a car short of a supercharger. The easier way to understand is with automatic mustangs. The Auto mustangs (94-2004 specially) first gear is so long that it takes a long time for the car to come up to speed, with shorter gears an auto mustang will get to higher revs a lot faster because instead of revving to lets say 40 MPH the car is now hitting redline at lets say 35. Back when I use to have a 2004 Mustang GT, a friend of mine also had one but his was auto. We both had the same mods, but his car was significantly slower. Mainly because the auto transmission was slower to shift gear than I was, but also because his car took a long time to come out of first gear. To keep it short, he went ahead and install 4.10s in his mustang and wow did it wake the car up. After that both cars were just as fast with similar mods.

Installing 4.88s will be a nightmare if you drive everyday, I cannot picture myself driven at freeway speeds in 6th gear I am not sure what RPM the car will be doing but anything over 2.5 at 80 would be too loud with current axle back I have install, plus MPGs will go down considerably as well.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:21 PM
Rios04GT
1st Gear Member

No I completely understand....

What you can't understand is in the real world... The 1/4 mile isn't all there is.

And since your buddy already pulls on you...with 3.55's your buddy will roll away on you in every gear and still do it with less gas...therefore more efficient. On the open road...you won't catch him...and in a1/4 mile he'll get there first.

AND...

with open road... He'll still have a higher top speed than you.
So what do gears do to a car please explain that to me. I want to make sure I understand.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:00 AM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

he pulls because of what I said, his car makes more power.
Yes and like I said....if he wanted to swap to 3.55's then he would still have a higher top end and you wouldn't keep up with him in any gear.

The final gear ratio (tranny ratio+wheels+tires+rear ratio) ultimately effects the outcome in the end.

ALSO.... The gearing on the Automatic transmissions you used as an example....ARE DIFFERENT FROM THE MANUALS. The final ratios and the stall speeds on the torque converters make a big difference. So you can either build up the AOD tranny and change the gearing inside or tweak the stall on the torque converter.... I KNOW i had a 1983 Fox body with a sweet 351 slammed in it running Nitrous, MSD and Methanol injection....with a modified AOD.

BUT...

I prefer Manuals then and now. However, if you rework the AOD gearing then you would see the same or better end results in the 1/4's without having to put in extremely low rear axle gears and still have a relatively good daily driver to boot. Without effecting the top speed performance on the highway.

In other words the guy with the ATS or CTSv or Vette, or LEXUS or, Kompressor, or a BMW won't embarrass you in a road race. We're not always encountering another Mustang on the road.

So what do gears do to a car please explain that to me. I want to make sure I understand.
You know what effect they can have, the point you're not getting is the rear axle ratio alone does not always provide you with the win. Its the total sum of all the components that ultimately effect the final outcome.

But, in simpler terms for the condescending challenge. Lower ratios for your axle will net you an end result where you might actually get through all your gears before your 1/4 ends. And get you to the end possibly quicker. This does not mean you have a fast car.....because beyond that 1/4 the guy with higher ending ratios will trounce you. Like your buddy does, albeit he has more power....but without boost and just a Boss intake...he doesn't have much more than you stock with exhaust.

And like clowe1965 points out... he has more power and still lost to a lesser powered car because the sum of his components left a weak spot...his tires were spinning instead of hooking up... So a simple tire swap could net him a better result next time even if the other driver is more experienced. Or he can go with a smaller diameter tire and effect the ending ratios for his car and net him better results in the 1/4.

I get it. I think your answer being JUST the rear axle gears alone.... is a set it and forget it approach. But, other people tend to swap tires and match realistic goals with Bolt-ons to keep the car a daily driver that can also pull double duty at the autocross or Quarter miles. Some people think WOW if I get those gears my car will be really fast....The reality is there is a BIG difference between fast and Quick. Even the Cheetah is winded before the Gazelle gives up...and more often than not... the Cheetah loses. Love that analogy. ;-)

Last edited by Cruzinaround; 10-30-2013 at 11:19 AM. Reason: ratio math
Old 10-30-2013, 04:54 PM
Rios04GT
1st Gear Member

Yes and like I said....if he wanted to swap to 3.55's then he would still have a higher top end and you wouldn't keep up with him in any gear.

The final gear ratio (tranny ratio+wheels+tires+rear ratio) ultimately effects the outcome in the end.

ALSO.... The gearing on the Automatic transmissions you used as an example....ARE DIFFERENT FROM THE MANUALS. The final ratios and the stall speeds on the torque converters make a big difference. So you can either build up the AOD tranny and change the gearing inside or tweak the stall on the torque converter.... I KNOW i had a 1983 Fox body with a sweet 351 slammed in it running Nitrous, MSD and Methanol injection....with a modified AOD.

BUT...

I prefer Manuals then and now. However, if you rework the AOD gearing then you would see the same or better end results in the 1/4's without having to put in extremely low rear axle gears and still have a relatively good daily driver to boot. Without effecting the top speed performance on the highway.

In other words the guy with the ATS or CTSv or Vette, or LEXUS or, Kompressor, or a BMW won't embarrass you in a road race. We're not always encountering another Mustang on the road.

You know what effect they can have, the point you're not getting is the rear axle ratio alone does not always provide you with the win. Its the total sum of all the components that ultimately effect the final outcome. Don't put words in my mouth kid. I am not saying none of that, you are just assuming what you want to believe. yes smaller wheels and tires will have the same effect as shorter gears, yes the top speed with 3.73s is reduce, yes a car with a higher top speed will eventually catch up and yes you live in Germany and the autobahn is in your backyard. I quite sure I agree with everything you are saying. who is saying axle ratios provide you with the win, I don't think I said that. A car with 3.31s and full bolt ons will be faster than one stock equiped with 3.73s but just like the car with 3.73s will benefit from bolt ons, the other car will also benefit from shorter gears. That's just what I said about my car and my friends car didn't I? Either way depending on what you want from your car, perhaps shorter gears is not the way to go. 4th gear with 3.73 taps at 120 so if you are trapping any higher, perhaps you can save that shift to fifth by staying with 3.31s instead. So it all depends. What you are not getting is that gears do give you a boost in performance. a stock 5.0 with 3.73s is noticeably faster than one with 3.31s, according to magazines, the difference is .5 seconds. yes there are other ways to close the gap, one is adding bolt ons and stuff.

But, in simpler terms for the condescending challenge. Lower ratios for your axle will net you an end result where you might actually get through all your gears before your 1/4 ends. And get you to the end possibly quicker. This does not mean you have a fast car.....because beyond that 1/4 the guy with higher ending ratios will trounce you. Like your buddy does, albeit he has more power....but without boost and just a Boss intake...he doesn't have much more than you stock with exhaust.

And like clowe1965 points out... he has more power and still lost to a lesser powered car because the sum of his components left a weak spot...his tires were spinning instead of hooking up... So a simple tire swap could net him a better result next time even if the other driver is more experienced. Or he can go with a smaller diameter tire and effect the ending ratios for his car and net him better results in the 1/4.

I get it. I think your answer being JUST the rear axle gears alone.... is a set it and forget it approach. But, other people tend to swap tires and match realistic goals with Bolt-ons to keep the car a daily driver that can also pull double duty at the autocross or Quarter miles. Some people think WOW if I get those gears my car will be really fast....The reality is there is a BIG difference between fast and Quick. Even the Cheetah is winded before the Gazelle gives up...and more often than not... the Cheetah loses. Love that analogy. ;-)
sssss
Old 10-31-2013, 10:41 AM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Then my friend...you could have simply made your point instead of dropping down the gloves...And I'm no kid "brah"

Probably been at this game longer than you times two...

The tests in those reviews are simply giving a seat of the pants feel...noticeably faster than.....a 3.31. I've yet to see anyone review the same Model equipped with 3.55's. If they did they'd notice the same sort of "noticeably faster than" personal opinion when compared to the 3.31's.

Penske did however release a whole line of 3.55's custom performance based models for the Hertz rental program...for people to get a feel for a performance model Mustang....

Yeah I know its a rental...But then again... its not bad for getting a "feel" for the difference. Same GT Premium trim with Brembos and a manual...just with 3.55's.

And case in point...your friend's car remains relatively more street-able with his gearing setup and he can still bump up to 3.55's and not impact his top end but vastly improve his lower gear performance... Bolt on per bolt on...there's literally only about a 1.2 inch difference required in tire diameter to match the same end ratio between these axles.

OR

You can get a different manual transmission with a swap of the syncros and gearing. That will provide you with a 1:1 in 4th and two levels of over drive setups in 5th and 6th.

And still benefit from different sets of tires.

So in my opinion the Brembo and track pack setup from Ford is cool...its more for selling something and making money to satisfy the "I wanna drag race" crowd. But you can possibly get a 3.31 base model or 3.55 premium and with less money...get the same or better performance.

Its like paying all that extra for a Boss 302 when the same money spent on mods for a GT premium...nets you a better, faster and quicker car all around. For less money...And if it makes you feel better you can slap a Boss 302 intake and badges on the car and even side exhausts...also still for less money and no one would really tell the difference without taking apart the engine to examine the pistons.

But your car would still stomp on a Boss 302 right out of the showroom for a LOT less money.

So..."Brah"

If you already knew the answer....why ask such a rhetorical question. Unless you were trying to make some other point???

here's one that I think still slipped by you...

The reality is there is a BIG difference between fast and Quick. Even the Cheetah is winded before the Gazelle gives up...and more often than not... the Cheetah loses. Love that analogy. ;-)

If/when I finally decide on what form of boost i will go with... I will then consider either swapping the rear for 3.31's (like a 2013 Cobra Shelby) or possibly get a new Tranny with tweaked ratios throughout and remain on 3.55's. To remain somewhat acceptable as a street-able daily drive-able car and still have fun with swapping tire/wheel combos...

WHY? Because I love my car, and I love driving it. I love taking it to the store for any errand or to my short commute for work and still being able to go to the track days with my kids for 1/4's or autocross. If I wanted a race only car....I'd have 2 Mustangs. One with 4.88's and every damn 1/4 horse special there is. And the one I have now for daily driving. And perhaps one day that might be the case. For now I'm still a dad...and a husband and do have some other priorities to tend to, so the hotrod is just another one of those hobbies.

Thats just me. To each their own.

Last edited by Cruzinaround; 10-31-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:29 PM
Rios04GT
1st Gear Member

Then my friend...you could have simply made your point instead of dropping down the gloves...And I'm no kid "brah"

I didn't drop anything on you, I was just making a point which you don't seem to understand.

Probably been at this game longer than you times two...
If you were then you wouldn't be saying what you have been saying all over this thread.

The tests in those reviews are simply giving a seat of the pants feel...noticeably faster than.....a 3.31. I've yet to see anyone review the same Model equipped with 3.55's. If they did they'd notice the same sort of "noticeably faster than" personal opinion when compared to the 3.31's.

Penske did however release a whole line of 3.55's custom performance based models for the Hertz rental program...for people to get a feel for a performance model Mustang....

Yeah I know its a rental...But then again... its not bad for getting a "feel" for the difference. Same GT Premium trim with Brembos and a manual...just with 3.55's.

And case in point...your friend's car remains relatively more street-able with his gearing setup and he can still bump up to 3.55's and not impact his top end but vastly improve his lower gear performance... Bolt on per bolt on...there's literally only about a 1.2 inch difference required in tire diameter to match the same end ratio between these axles.

You are funny, 3.55s is in between 3.73s and 3.31s is the same concept plus 3.55s are an upgrade they don't come standard. 3.55s are still consider a performance upgrade over 3.31s same as 3.73s it makes no difference, both increase off the line acceleration and both decrease a cars top speed.3.73s are as streetable as 3.31s, not much of a difference, maybe an mpg less overall

OR

You can get a different manual transmission with a swap of the syncros and gearing. That will provide you with a 1:1 in 4th and two levels of over drive setups in 5th and 6th.

And still benefit from different sets of tires.

So in my opinion the Brembo and track pack setup from Ford is cool...its more for selling something and making money to satisfy the "I wanna drag race" crowd. But you can possibly get a 3.31 base model or 3.55 premium and with less money...get the same or better performance.

It depends on what you want, if that's the case you could go buy a $500 dollar 1980s mustang and drop 20k in performance parts and it will smoke anything on the road. The track pack in the 2011-2012 mustangs was a still, premium 19in wheels and rubber, set of gears and brembo brakes. Just look at the cost of all that on its own. You can't get a set of brembos for under 3k that alone is more than the track pack in the 11-12 gts. Plus its not just cool, the track pack manage to keep up with an M3s at the track, look it up.

Its like paying all that extra for a Boss 302 when the same money spent on mods for a GT premium...nets you a better, faster and quicker car all around. For less money...And if it makes you feel better you can slap a Boss 302 intake and badges on the car and even side exhausts...also still for less money and no one would really tell the difference without taking apart the engine to examine the pistons.

You can do all you want but it won't be a Boss 302, it will just be a clown of a car compare to a Boss no matter if its faster or not. You can buy a honda and slap a pair of turbos for much less, of and don't forget a ferrari badge so people know your car is as fast a ferrari.

But your car would still stomp on a Boss 302 right out of the showroom for a LOT less money.

So..."Brah"

If you already knew the answer....why ask such a rhetorical question. Unless you were trying to make some other point???

here's one that I think still slipped by you...

The reality is there is a BIG difference between fast and Quick. Even the Cheetah is winded before the Gazelle gives up...and more often than not... the Cheetah loses. Love that analogy. ;-)

If/when I finally decide on what form of boost i will go with... I will then consider either swapping the rear for 3.31's (like a 2013 Cobra Shelby) or possibly get a new Tranny with tweaked ratios throughout and remain on 3.55's. To remain somewhat acceptable as a street-able daily drive-able car and still have fun with swapping tire/wheel combos...

WHY? Because I love my car, and I love driving it. I love taking it to the store for any errand or to my short commute for work and still being able to go to the track days with my kids for 1/4's or autocross. If I wanted a race only car....I'd have 2 Mustangs. One with 4.88's and every damn 1/4 horse special there is. And the one I have now for daily driving. And perhaps one day that might be the case. For now I'm still a dad...and a husband and do have some other priorities to tend to, so the hotrod is just another one of those hobbies.

Glad you are accepting what I been saying all along. You are pretty much admitting that shorter gears make a difference. Seems like you learn something today, the rest I completely understand, you don't have to state the obvious unless it's someone like you who wants to make excuses for not having 3.73s when you clearly know that a set of those will make your car accelerate faster.

Thats just me. To each their own.
Well it seems like at last you are making sense so I will stop now. I can still go back and read about your race against the Boss 302 in which you explain your "sweet" I don't know what.

Quick Reply: 3.31/3.55/3.73 Rear Axle Ratio?