Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

3.31/3.55/3.73 Rear Axle Ratio?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 10:09 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rios04GT
Well it seems like at last you are making sense so I will stop now. I can still go back and read about your race against the Boss 302 in which you explain your "sweet" I don't know what.
You are really a PIece of work. Here's what we all learned...

Your buddy trounced you with 3.31's and a Boss intake and you're making excuses that he had more power??? He had maybe 20 more ponies at top end WOT. You have more torque. Perhaps as clowe1965 pointed out...you just don't know how to drive???

Come on.

In the end you learned the lesson "bub"...rear axle ratio alone did not make your car faster than a Boss intake and 3.31's.

Gears can make your car quicker compared to ? The same identical car setup the same way except with 3.31's? Yes... Again... rios....if that was all there was to it...then yes. but then maybe the driver is the weak link in the car with 3.73's. Hmmmm.

But clearly if you did your homework and wanted to prove a point to your buddy...you could simply have swapped your tires and put the argument to rest.

But that might be too simple a concept for you? If I'm getting under your skin, well my apologies but that happens when common sense tends to bump heads with stubborn and closed minded. It is what it is "brah"

3.55's is a middle ground trade off between the two options. It affords you the owner the ability or the luxury to decide how you want to augment the final ratio to achieve the desired outcome among what is the the other given choices.....do you want to stomp on that buddy with a Brembo package in a 1/4 or pull on that Boss on the HWy. hmmmm...what to do.

You my friend might just need to get past this. I'm not bothered by it.. i can do the math...But clearly.... You've got some issues. And not really knowing me "brah" it's just so... Cheesy to react with such passion over 5 tenths??? Again so what? You lost to a real badassed boss 302 intake...OH well. Must have been All that power. Riiiiggght that's it.

Yes we all know about the M3 comparo it's gone down as a big win.... And if you want to hang with an M3 all day...that's cool, too. Again...what you don't know is that BMW also has a higher top speed. So you won't hang for long on 3.73's on an open road hitting WOT. Then again....so what?

Costs for upgrading to a clown or a clone of a Boss costs more...NOT. for example a GT 500 6 piston setup with brembo rears costs $1800 and under... I know. ;-). The 4 piston Brembo 3.73 package might cost the 3k as a factory upgrade option. For the front only and 4 piston ONLY to boot That I'm pretty sure of too. I'd get a better deal getting the GT 500 brake F&R package aftermarket. See how that works. Boss intake and tune =$700 + Boss midpipe =$700 + Boss badges $100 + front rear fascia = $1200 + Boss rated springs = $400, Yeah there's a little more to it... Albeit not much more... But in the real world...if it looks like the same car and performs like the same car...it might as well be the same car. Or you can stand by your real car and wonder why a clone car performs better FOR LESS MONEY then convince yourself to buy a Honda with a turbo???

Yeah Rios...I know....you gonna say I never got it... Uh huh. Keep saying that kiddo...then swap some tires ehhh. Then take on your buddy again and get back to us on that.

thanks.. :-)

Last edited by Cruzinaround; 11-01-2013 at 12:07 AM.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:39 AM
Black Fire
1st Gear Member

Brembo Pkg is a $1695 option it includes.
•Front: 14" Brembo® Vented Rotors with Brembo® 4-Piston Calipers
•19 x 9.0-inch dark-stainless premium painted aluminum wheels
•255/40R19 Pirelli PZero Summer-Only (Coupe) or P255/40ZR19 Goodyear F1 Supercar (Convertible)
•Different Springs (131lbs Front / 167lbs Rear)
•Different Struts/ Shocks (tuned for spring rates)
•GT-500 Rear Lower Control Arms ( Higher Durometer Rubber)
•Unique Electronic Stability Control® (ESC) Tuning
•Unique Sport Steering Control Setting (EPAS)
•Tire Mobility Kit Replaces Spare Tire

Ford downplayed many of these features of the package, and didn't make a detailed list of it, probably because they wanted people to focus on the upcoming 2012 BOSS 302. Why? The answer is simple, if one takes a base Mustang GT in the 300A Rapid Spec (plain like the the 2012 Boss 302, without comfort and electronic packages ), and adds the Brembo Brake Package and the optional 3:73 gears, they damn near have the same car for as little as $29,500. The 2012 Boss 302 stars at a MSRP of $42,000 ( it you can get it that cheap) and only comes with just 30 more Horsepower, manually adjustable shocks, slightly higher spring rates, a 1mm larger rear sway bar, and staggered size tires.

The above was quoted from Brembo50.com.
So the difference from a Brembo GT to a Boss is very little. Even on a race track the cars are within 1 second of each other. I wanted to put this in here cause you guys were comparing a Boss to a GT when they aren't that far off of each other.

Rios got beat by a slightly more powerful car with less gear, big deal !!
It's a drivers race, try it several times in a row and you may win some.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:33 AM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Black Fire
Rios got beat by a slightly more powerful car with less gear, big deal !!
It's a drivers race, try it several times in a row and you may win some.
Oh no.... Rios is an awesome driver. It was because the other guy had a way more powerful car and a magic 3.31 rear axle.

thanks for clarifying what I said so nicely. You literally could build your own Boss 302 for less.

For that Matter you also build your own Roush, Saleen or Steeda in any stage for less as well.

And if you own a 2013 Cobra... You can build it into your very own Hennessy Stang for less as well

Just sayin.