Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2011 Mustang GT DISABLE DRLs??

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 11:41 AM
mossy89

Default 2011 Mustang GT DISABLE DRLs??

I have a 2011 Mustang GT, and I have DRL's. They've never bothered me until recently when I bought the raxiom projectors. I have dug and dug for ways to get them turned off or at least switched to the fogs. Has anyone had this done to theirs through the dealer? Is it possible to just turn them off completely or at least switch them to the fogs. All input is grealty appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:11 PM
Jiggy_One
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mossy89
I have a 2011 Mustang GT, and I have DRL's. They've never bothered me until recently when I bought the raxiom projectors. I have dug and dug for ways to get them turned off or at least switched to the fogs. Has anyone had this done to theirs through the dealer? Is it possible to just turn them off completely or at least switch them to the fogs. All input is grealty appreciated. Thanks.
Wait what??? The mustang does not have DRLs. It has autolamps that only come on at dusk through the night. When its light enough, the lights go out automagically~~ And you can turn that feature off at the headlight switch. You switch has 4 positions. off, parking lights, headlights and auto. Thats it my friend. So your thread makes no sense and you are awarded no points.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:38 PM
JAJ
2nd Gear Member

Sure it does! DRL's are law in Canada, so the car can be programmed to have them or not to have them. How that's done is beyond my paygrade, but it's built into the car from the factory.

There was a recent discussion on a forum (might have been this one) about the same thing for the same reason, and the result was that dealers aren't allowed to change DRL programming. Again, I don't know why, but that was the outcome. What's tragic is that if you order factory HID's and have the grille foglights (not a GT/CS) then if you have DRL's, the grille fogs turn on.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:19 PM
mossy89

My car does have DRLs. Lights are on, switch is off, and the suns out. Don't know why you assume every car is alike. I'm not in Canada either. I asked for a solution not some idiot to try and put me in my place. I know what I'm talking about or else I wouldn't have started the thread.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:00 PM
JAJ
2nd Gear Member

My post wasn't very clear, and for that I apologize. I know you're not in Canada, and my point was to the other poster who said the car doesn't have them. What I meant to say is that all Mustangs have the capability for DRL's because they're legally required in Canada. After that, it's up to the programming of the individual vehicle as to whether they come on or not. My point about the grille fogs is that if you're equipped with those, you can just unplug them.

All that said, it appears that DRL's are not legally required in your state, so is there a reason you can't just get a local dealer to switch them off?
Old 02-16-2012, 07:07 PM
mossy89

Sorry JAJ, I found ur post helpful, my entire post was to Jiggy. But yeah, I'm going to eliminate my fogs with the s281 grille. And then I'm going to install the raxioms. I called my dealer and the guy who was going to check it today was out of town. On the tech dealer site it says they can't be turned off because it turns off so many other things as well. He said he was still going to try and hook it up to see if it just said that for some reasons. I'm gonna call him tomorrow and try again. If it was possible to switch the DRLS to the fogs and then I eliminate them that would be great too. I just don't wanna get the raxioms and then ruin cuz they're on constantly. Plus hook up to the dealer computer is $90 which is ridiculous. I have a friend who works in parts at ford and he said there's a thing you can do with the wires too.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:01 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

You can rewire the relays and the switch. Easy enough. Even put in a toggle or a momentary switch to hardwire it in as a piggyback.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:00 AM
keoni1984

Sorry JAJ, I found ur post helpful.
I've read a lot of JAJ's posts and he's always "Johnny on the spot" with very helpful info.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:32 AM
essayons
2nd Gear Member

Plus hook up to the dealer computer is $90 which is ridiculous. I have a friend who works in parts at ford and he said there's a thing you can do with the wires too.
1. $90 for a dealer computer hookup isn't ridiculous. It's actually pretty standard (1 hour of labor)

Old 02-17-2012, 12:49 PM
Jiggy_One
3rd Gear Member

My car does have DRLs. Lights are on, switch is off, and the suns out. Don't know why you assume every car is alike. I'm not in Canada either. I asked for a solution not some idiot to try and put me in my place. I know what I'm talking about or else I wouldn't have started the thread.
Your car does not have DRLs. Wow. I also had a 2011 base without HIDs and again NO DRLs. And the other three friends I have with premium and base cars with and without HIDs also have no DRLs. Maybe you need to bring you car in. Its broke.

Quick Reply: 2011 Mustang GT DISABLE DRLs??